• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Milestone 2.1 update disaster - pattern and password

pfavorov

Lurker
May 7, 2010
As in the previous post, pattern unlock is for some reason disabled for me after 2.1.update:

"settings->location & security settings-> phone lock settings. Now the only option I can access is 'Change unlock password', which is fine, but unfortunately the 'use visible pattern' & 'use tactile feedback' options are greyed out....however they each have a green tick against each item"

But something even more ridiculous happened - after realising that I'll hаve to tap in this password every minute for a while, and seeing that it said "at least 1 symbol" I set a 1 symbol password, and it was accepted all right. But now it has OK button disabled until i put in 4 symbols. So I'm completely stuck. Any suggestions?

As in the previous post, pattern unlock is for some reason disabled for me after 2.1.update:

"settings->location & security settings-> phone lock settings. Now the only option I can access is 'Change unlock password', which is fine, but unfortunately the 'use visible pattern' & 'use tactile feedback' options are greyed out....however they each have a green tick against each item"

You have to click the one that says 'Phone Lock Type ' and choose Pattern and it will allow you to set the pattern.

Upvote 0
I will have an educated guess that you have an Exchange account set up via Corporate Email?

It would appear that 2.1 enforces the password policy that is set via the Exchange Policy.

The only fix that I have seen for this is to install LockPicker but it states on the Marketplace that it does not work with Droid or Milestone :( Hopefully the developer will update the app!

In the meantime, the only this you can do is stop syncing via Exchange.

Lockpicker:
chart

Reactions: pronto
Upvote 0
spottyelephant: thanks, wrote to them. how can I flash back if I'm locked out of the phone completely? :(
Szadzik: the thing is that there was no this option in my case...
stig: I never had a working eschange account. and i never had a password before - just was forced to put one in after update and happened to choose 1-symbol one. FML.

Upvote 0
spottyelephant: thanks, wrote to them. how can I flash back if I'm locked out of the phone completely? :(

Flashing back's extremely easy using Moto's RSDLite flashing software. And you're not fully locked out - you can still get into boot and recovery so that's grand. You just download your ROM from here and then flash with RSDLITE.

Instructions for using RSD here

I'd hold off on doing that until Moto get back to you - absolute mission having to reinstall and setup your phone again after flashing!

Upvote 0
I will have an educated guess that you have an Exchange account set up via Corporate Email?

It would appear that 2.1 enforces the password policy that is set via the Exchange Policy.

The only fix that I have seen for this is to install LockPicker but it states on the Marketplace that it does not work with Droid or Milestone :( Hopefully the developer will update the app!

In the meantime, the only this you can do is stop syncing via Exchange.

Lockpicker:
chart

Ahhhh... I see. That makes a lot of sense.

But the bigger problem is - I like android as my main 'looker-upper' (and thus synced to Exchange) due to the fast and consistent way I can unlock it. Having to type in a password makes it worse than the N900 (until now the least usable of my phones in terms of locking / unlocking) - I can never get any password right the first time around, especially one-handed.

Any acknowledgement at all about this issue from the horse's mouth, anyone?

Upvote 0
I actually found a workaround to still be able to use the unlock pattern and be syncing w/ exchange, download "LockBot Pro" from the marketplace (the free version doesnt have the pattern unlock feature) and from main screen hit your menu button, select config, and then select Security, and there you'll see to select unlock pattern...I've tried this and i have had no problems and back to having unlock pattern :)

Upvote 0
I actually found a workaround to still be able to use the unlock pattern and be syncing w/ exchange, download "LockBot Pro" from the marketplace (the free version doesnt have the pattern unlock feature) and from main screen hit your menu button, select config, and then select Security, and there you'll see to select unlock pattern...I've tried this and i have had no problems and back to having unlock pattern :)

Thank you very much for this information, no other "solution" has worked for me.

I've even removed all exchange data and its account and was still couldn't use a pattern unlock and LockPicker doesn't appear to work on Droid/Milestone. I'd rather pay a few dollars than go through a factory reset and then the drama of setting everything up again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones