• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Milestone - Installing Apps (apk) problem

blackcells

Lurker
Jul 29, 2010
My cousin recently got the Motorola Milestone, and since then i've tried everything to install apps, but couldnt.
The problem is that the phone came without a "Market", since there is no market i cant download and install "Astro" or any other file managing app. And without Astro, i cant run or install *.apk files.

So, is there a solution?!
I would really like to stay on my official OS, i dont want to install any MODs.

P.S. Milestone runs on Android 2.1, that still doesnt support running apps from SD card.

Hi, there is a way to install android apps without the Market, but you need a browser. You can do it for example from AndroidZoom which is just a website meant for your PC where you can search for Android apps. Once you've found something you like, you click "download" (still on your PC!). This shows you three ways to install it on your phone, one of which is to get the installation URL and type it into the browser on the phone.
I haven't tried it because I've got Market, but I figure it stands a chance.
With a bit of surfing, you will most likely find the "Market" itself, install it on your phone and be done once and for all!
Hope it works!
Elena

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones