• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Milestone not turning off/ turning the screen on

_____

Lurker
Mar 16, 2011
My Milestone has been playing up recently. Whenever I use the VirtualRecorder app and I get a text, the screen locks itself and won't turn itself back on despite the touch buttons lighting up aswell as the keyboard. I've been resorting to taking out the battery and inserting it back in to restart the phone because that was the only way I could get the phone to unlock the screen again. Stupidly, I figured if I root it and update it to 2.2 it would fix itself. Rooted it fine but when I tried to copy the files onto the SD card, I couldn't even do that and the files would just stop copying not even mid-way through. I've hard resetted the phone now but still I can't get the phone screen to turn on. And to add to the problem, I can't turn the phone off. It freezes on the "shutting down" pop up. Any help will be appreciated.

This might sound a bit odd but you might want to backup/reformat/restore your SD card.

I was getting the same problems (freeze on shutdown, display won't turn back on even though the bottom LEDs light up) after installing a new 16GB Class 10 microSD card. After putting all my stuff back onto the microSD and plugging it in, it would hang upon any access to the SD card (this included when waking up the screen). The problem was that the MediaScanner process was busy looking through all my directories on my new SD and trying to catalog the music/photos/videos files and creating thumbnails.

During the process many files are created on the SD. When they are persisted onto the flash, all read access to the flash seems to wait until the writes finishes. When that happens, everything hangs...waiting for their reads which are blocked by the writes. I had to kill all processes and wait until MediaScanner finished. I watched the output of "adb logcat" (from the Android SDK) until I stopped seeing MediaScanner messages.

The same problem of waiting for access to the SD occurs when he SD is remounted. Android's volume mount daemon will run an integrity check on the SD card (fsck_dos...the equivalent to a Windows CHKDSK). While the integrity check occurs all applications that attempt to write to the SD will get back read error and it is up to the developer to decide what to do. Some wait. Some try to do other things. The screen awaken function might be waiting for disk access before turning the screen back on.

See ya...

d.c.

Reactions: _____
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones