• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Milestone RAM?

sushibowl

Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
Hey guys recently obtained a milestone for myself but just a small niggle is making me a little worried.

On my Milestone, i realised that i have never gotten above 110MB of free RAM, even on a fresh reset to factory settings. Which after googling around, seems possible to get about 130mb of ram even after installing apps etc.

I thought that was pretty odd so i went and downloaded Device Information from the Android Market and when i went to check on the memory...

Total Usable RAM : Shown as 225MB. Shouldnt it be 250MB or 256MB? Can anyone shed light on this?

Thank you!

It's just the way RAM is advertised, vs the way it is calculated. Generally, they round up when advertising, or use some combination of 1000 bits to a byte, 1000 bytes to a megabyte, 1000 megabytes to a gigabyte.

When you view it via your hardware (be it phone or computer or whatever), it calculates it the proper way, where there are 1024 bits to a byte, and so on. So what you see on your device is almost always lower than what was advertised. This is pretty common with drives and memory, and the larger the storage, the more extreme the disparity becomes (my "2 terabyte" drive is actually only 1.81 terabytes, for instance, I've "lost" almost 200Gb).

The method in which the storage is formatted also has an impact, there's some overhead for this which uses space, once again the larger the storage, the more that is wasted/lost for this overhead.

Long story short, there's nothing wrong with your Milestone. :)

Upvote 0
Hey guys recently obtained a milestone for myself but just a small niggle is making me a little worried.

On my Milestone, i realised that i have never gotten above 110MB of free RAM, even on a fresh reset to factory settings. Which after googling around, seems possible to get about 130mb of ram even after installing apps etc.

I thought that was pretty odd so i went and downloaded Device Information from the Android Market and when i went to check on the memory...

Total Usable RAM : Shown as 225MB. Shouldnt it be 250MB or 256MB? Can anyone shed light on this?

Thank you!

Are you sure you are talking about RAM and not ROM? I think you are talking about ROM - the memory used to install apps and stuff right?

Upvote 0
Yes i am talking about RAM. RAM is memory used in running the OS and apps and ROM is used for storing them if i am not mistaken.

Thank you for your post Croak but i do understand that manufacturers take 1000kb to be 1mb of RAM. However no matter how i calculate it i cant get to the figure of 235mb i get using the device information app from android.

It should be 244mb but device information shows it as 235mb. The easiest way to confirm is by someone getting device information on their droid and checking if its the same. Just a little paranoid about the phone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones