1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

military slang has sure changed since my days.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dontpanicbobby, Dec 6, 2013.

1. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member Thread Starter

I was in the Air Force in the late 70's and we had some strange terms for things but this list posted on NPR takes the cake. Ranger Pudding? Military Lingo

Any additons to this list from more recent veterans than me?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

What surprised me was how much of that I was familiar with - I guess all that gaming wasn't a total waste of time

No, wait - it definitely was :D

3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I love vanilla wafers, but I think I'd pass on the Ranger Pudding version...

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Didn't they call helicopters "Hueys" at one time? Was that just during the Vietnam era, or maybe that was a movie thing as well. Sure with movies there's allowance for a non-military/general pubic viewing audience. Most everyone knows what a "chopper" is, but may not know the military meaning of "bird". Also some screenplay and scriptwriters may never have had any military involvement. To me "chopper" makes me think of helicopters and not motorcycles.

"Powerpoint Ranger" LOL :D

5. SiempreTuna

Huey is a Vietnam-era name for the Bell UH-1H (I think because UH-1H kinda looks like it could be pronounced as Huey).

While the current Black Hawks look like they could be direct descendents of the Huey, they're actually not related, though the requirements they were built to satisfy were based on the army's experience with Hueys.

mikedt likes this.
  6. Shuudoushi

Shuudoushi Lurker

Ranger pudding is good tbh... Looks like shit, but it's good lol

7. SiempreTuna

I have to wonder what the story is behind that post: joining an Android forum to make a single comment about Ranger Pudding - you must really like it :D

8. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I lolled at this:
    My six-ish month stay in Kandahar was also the only of my (far too numerous) desert trips where I lived (and showered) in a tent. All the other trips had me in CHUs.

I do have fond memories of that TGI Friday's though, and other than that the variety in food was pretty fantastic. When I was there, KAF had two American DFACs (in tents, of course), a British DFAC, a Canadian DFAC, a British cafe, and the "Far East" DFAC which had stirfry every day.

9. Shuudoushi

Shuudoushi Lurker

:D Nah. I have been on the forums for awhile, but I mostly just talked through PMs.