• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mind mapping app that works with Freemind .mm format?

FYI, for anyone looking for the same thing.

SimpleMind:

SimpleMind full edition can import/export freemind files (.mm). Import is done best via Dropbox using SimpleMind's native Dropbox explorer.
SimpleMind extracts text, notes and hierarchy from the freemind mind map. All other attributes such as links and icons are ignored. Any rich text is flattened to plain text. Freemind does not save spatial information and SimpleMind uses its own lay outer to position topics. Once imported, the mind map is internally stored in the native .smmx format.
To save this as a freemind file you need to export. This is done with the "Share|Send to" command. Select the Freemind format to send to Dropbox, Mail etc.

Upvote 0
Importing, exporting and converting file formats is the inverse of easy. I came across this thread searching for a solution. As a freeplane user on an Ubuntu desktop it would be awesome if I could keep my mindmaps in dropbox and open them on my tablet using Simplemind.

Technically I can but in practical application it's one or the other. Work on the desktop with Freeplane or work on the tablet with Simplemind because Simplemind does not sync, it imports and exports. There's a huge difference. Sync is transparent and hassle free.

Back to searching.

Upvote 0
Importing, exporting and converting file formats is the inverse of easy. I came across this thread searching for a solution. As a freeplane user on an Ubuntu desktop it would be awesome if I could keep my mindmaps in dropbox and open them on my tablet using Simplemind.

Technically I can but in practical application it's one or the other. Work on the desktop with Freeplane or work on the tablet with Simplemind because Simplemind does not sync, it imports and exports. There's a huge difference. Sync is transparent and hassle free.

Back to searching.
To get SimpleMind to sync between desktop and tablet, you have to use SimpleMind Desktop along with the mobile version on your tablet. I doubt they have a Desktop version for Linux, so you're out of luck. And for PC and Mac users, SimpleMind Desktop isn't cheap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones