• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mine is going back, camera issues

jnoone

Nov 9, 2009
I am taking my bionic back to tomorrow. The phone was not bad, but the camera is horrible. I have an iPhone 4 and the camera is really good. It takes pictures when you press the button, where as the bionic has a slight lag. I have small kids and they move fast so the lag is a killer. The colors are better with the iPhone as well. I want to be back on android and as soon as they make a droid with a camera that can come close to the iPhone I will be back.

Reactions: JoJoCal19
The original Motorola DROID had a camera issue that was fixed 5 weeks after release - it would not focus correctly either.

This one lags b/c it tries to focus, and then ends up taking the picture slightly out of focus. I've taken two pics so far, and it tries to focus, and runs the entire length of the focus, then just sighs, gives up and snaps the pic...

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
The original Motorola DROID had a camera issue that was fixed 5 weeks after release - it would not focus correctly either.

This one lags b/c it tries to focus, and then ends up taking the picture slightly out of focus. I've taken two pics so far, and it tries to focus, and runs the entire length of the focus, then just sighs, gives up and snaps the pic...

Yeah I hope your right...8MP camera was a big selling point for me. I take lots of pics for forums, craigslist and what not. So far not inpressed and I'm coming from a eris....

Upvote 0
I have the droid x ,and the x2......I was hoping for an improved camera too.My finace has the iPhone 4,no comparison at all.I too want a motorola android,with a better camera.I am staying with my x2,since there no 4g here I am not seeing the bionic being worth 589.00 for the small improvements and a ffc ESP when Skype video chat isnt working.

Upvote 0
I was going to mention the Charge, but someone beat me to it. In any case the Charge is so gimped with that slow single core and crappy file system it's just a no-go for me. Sad that Android can't have a real show stopper of a phone. SGS2 is damn close to one....... if you live in Europe. It baffles me that Verizon can't just get the damn SGS2 on their network. I'd jump ship to Sprint if I could but here in MT no can do. Verizon, AT&T or nuttin.

Upvote 0
I am not trying to be an android hater because I am not. If you are like me and the most important feature is the camera the iPhone may be the way to go.

Just saying....The Droid Charges Camera is off the wall! Even the front facing camera is really good.

Bingo bango. The Droid Charge has the best camera on Verizon, and is one of the best on any network.

If the most important feature is the camera....a camera might be the way to go.

+8mp lol

Upvote 0
Its a really nice phone and I really want to love it but I cant get past the horrible camera. I take lots of pics and its a deal breaker, guess I will stay with my Bolt until something better comes along.

I do wonder if a 3rd party app would help it any

Vignette helps. The stock camera app is not that good. I used Vignette for all of my phones. This app helps ease camera envy for Moto phone users.

My take on camera quality, I'd say the Bionic is ok. Just like the D3 still pics are ok but vids are much better.

The FFC is pretty good IMO for what it is. No complaints there.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Guys Really...
For heirloom family portraits the Hasselblad H4D200MS Digital Camera works very well and is a real steal at $43,000+ and just think they may be thinking of incorporating a stunning Bionic phone into it.
Seriously dudes ... it's a phone with an emergency camera built into it

LOL................if your really serious????????????? Phones are equipped with "emergency" cameras?

Upvote 0
It's not a 'emergency' camera. Many many people actually use it as their only camera because it's almost always with them whereas a reg camera is not. So it should function well. Obviously not $43k well but well enough to replace the standard digital camera. My Droid is absolutely annoying with its camera. The thing is slow to focus and stay focused and then it is very slow to process the shot once the button is pushed. I don't even bother using it 90% of the time so a functioning camera is something I'd really like. Which means I'll be waiting till the Prime comes out I guess, or check the Vigor. If this phone,the Bionic,has the same goofy issues it means Moto hasn't figured out how to put a well functioning camera in their phones yet. I actually hate to say this,but waiting for the Bionic and then seeing all the issues with it and the camera, cheap vibration, low phone volume,etc etc.....I'm actually considering the iPhone 5. It sucks,because these Android phone makers can't get their heads out their backsides. I could jailbreak it and make it useable.....heck, who knows....:thinking:

Upvote 0
I don't know...I mean everyone else has specs the like or don't like about the phone why would the camera be any less important? I haven't really used the camera yet but was hoping it would be AWESOME like the rest of the phone is...

So I should look at getting a third party camera app to help ease the pain? I love my bionic and think it may be too early to judge the camera I have hardly used...I won't change phones but probably be disappointed. Any suggestions on how to make my bionic camera experience a happy one is appreciated!!

Trisha

Upvote 0
I disagree with anyone who says a camera is not important! Seriously now, if that's the case you should buy phones that don't offer a camera...why say something so redic!

Anyway, its a big deal to me, and too alot of other people! Plain and simple, the camera on the Bionic is at best...Terrible, and after 9 months of screwin around you would have thought this phone would have had a killer camera to rival the iphone 4 or yessss....The Samsung Charge.
Im very disappointed in the Bionic and feel a little taken, ever reviewers said the camera is amazing? Really? That's interesting, because my pics suck ...Getting tired of all this, it's almost 2012! You'd think a good camera that takes clear Fast shots could be on a flag ship phone.

Upvote 0
I agree with Sean. The argument or statement I see here and elsewhere, "If a camera is important then buy a camera" seems shortsighted to me. Smartphones, especially modern ones, are supposed to be convergent devices that replace multiple devices (phone, camera, mp3 player, pda) with one device. I've had a Droid, Droid X and have used the D2 and Bionic, and the fact is that Motorola does not put near the effort into the camera's still photo capability as most other manufacturers. They would be better served taking some time off of MotoBlur or whatever it's called, and diverting that time to the camera hardware/software.

The fact is people generally always have their phone in their hands or right by their side so it's much easier to take the phone to shoot a quick picture. Having an 11 month old, we have a Canon T2i DSLR that sits on the coffee table, two point and shoot cameras, and a Kodak HD camcorder. We don't always have them handy when we want to capture a quick shot of our daughter but our iPhone 4's are always at hand to capture the moment.

Reactions: CaptainObvious
Upvote 0
I totally agree with the camera issue on the Bionic. I was all set to get the phone until I realized how poor the cameras photos and focus were. The image on the screen was far superior to what was being captured and stored. I had to take on average 3 shots of the same image to get one focused shot. Even then the photo was not close to what was being replicated by the iPhone 4. I am not looking to take family portraits nor do I have an extra 43k laying around all I ask is that the photo resolution match that of a RAZR. I sure hope there is a software update to fix this mess as I would really like to purchase the Bionic.

Upvote 0
I don't know...I mean everyone else has specs the like or don't like about the phone why would the camera be any less important? I haven't really used the camera yet but was hoping it would be AWESOME like the rest of the phone is...

So I should look at getting a third party camera app to help ease the pain? I love my bionic and think it may be too early to judge the camera I have hardly used...I won't change phones but probably be disappointed. Any suggestions on how to make my bionic camera experience a happy one is appreciated!!

Trisha

I agree. I'm kind of tired of "having" to stick with Apple because they have top notch camera software and great camera hardware so I've been leaning towards picking up a Canon ELPH 300 HS which is one of the best and smallest point and shoot cameras. It's credit card sized so I can easily carry it everywhere.

Having such a small camera will let me make my phone choices regardless of how great the camera may be. It will open up a lot of choices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones