1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mini paper widget not working after update - where is the data stored?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ShadowDK, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ShadowDK

ShadowDK Newbie

Hi,
    I just updated my phone through Kies to 2.3.4 and after that the Mini Paper widget doesn't work. My notes are gone and I can't create new ones - I can drag on a widget but I can't tap it and start writing.

I've seen that a fix is to clear data, but I'd like to keep my notes - not neccessarily as notes, but I'd just like to be able to view my notes again somehow. So does anyone know where the notes are stored on the phone? Or how to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance. Any help is very appreciated :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ShadowDK

ShadowDK Newbie

3. Mnstrspeed

Mnstrspeed Lurker

I also ran into this issue after updating to 2.3.5, but I gave up on recovering my old notes. According to the Android API documentation, each application gets its own private directory on the device's internal storage that can't be accessed by the user. My best guess would be under /data in the file system, but as expected that directory appears empty to normal users. Unfortunately, I don't have root access on my Galaxy S II right now (and rooting my device to recover one not-that-important note seems overkill), but accessing the directory as root (using RootExplorer) should probably do the trick. If you're in luck, the data (your notes) will be in a human readable format.

I must say I'm really disappointed in Samsung for screwing this up. With the time they spend porting their TouchWiz interface, you'd expect them to test if all their apps still work after an update, or at least release a fix before everyone updates (it must've been out for at least a few weeks now and I only found out about the update by accident, so there must be plenty of people still on 2.3.3).

4. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert

5. rawon87

rawon87 Lurker

hi guys, i managed to find a fix

1.go to setting
    2. application
    3. manage application
    4.select "all" tabs above
    5. find mini paper
    6. clear data
    7. clear cache
    8. clear default

delete the widget from your desktop and re add it
    works for me, hope its good for you guys

bfsblink182 likes this.
  6. mik1210

mik1210 Lurker

guys i assume clear data wiped all of the notes that were made?

Mate of mine needs to recover the notes he made?

7. bfsblink182

bfsblink182 Lurker

I agree. I lost a lot of important info. Mini paper starts working if you clear data though.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews