1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mirco SD Cards and the Iconia

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Adamsavage, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Adamsavage

Adamsavage Newbie

Rather then get frustrated and spend hours trying to figure this out, I figured Id ask here.. How on earth do I access the files from my Mirco SD card ? I pulled it from my Htc Nexus one, so it shouldn't have a problem with formatting etc.. The problem I'm having is finding where the card is to begin with. I can use my Sony 4 Gig usb drive on it with zero issues. It just doesn't seem to like having a SD card in it. Suggestions ?:thinking:

PS: Thanks in Advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kenji57

kenji57 Well-Known Member

Media files should be discovered automatically in standard apps, but you'll probably want to install a file manager app to access or transfer files. I use File Manager HD and have set a shortcut to the external SD card.
    It can be a bit confusing because the internal storage is called SDcard. The external SD card is in location /mnt/external_SD (navigate to the highest folder level then find mnt folder)

Adamsavage likes this.
  3. Adamsavage

Adamsavage Newbie

I could of sworn I looked there, I can see my files now! Now if I could only figure out how to get it to see a External Hard Drive.

4. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

Do you have 3.1 or 3.2?

Anything below 3.2 seems to need root and the drive mount app to see an hdd. Atleast that's what I noticed with the few iconias I have had to play with. I have 3.1 rooted stock using the drive mount app and my hdd works great. My cousin updated to 3.2 and just plugs it in and uses the file explore to open it.

If you have 3.2 and plug the drive in and open the file explore it should be under usb storage or usb drive can't remember which. I use es file and i hold down the blue star in the upper left to get to the main file list then tap mnt and all the storage folders are listed there.

5. Adamsavage

Adamsavage Newbie

It's 3.1 currently. I did get it rooted and tried a drive mount ap. It shows the hard drive as an unmounted hard drive. When I click on mount drive, it says it was successful. However it doesn't show up under mounted drive. I checked the usb storage folders and there is nothing there.

6. kenji57

3.1 only works with FAT32 formatted drives. Either re-fomat the drive or root the tab.

3.2 works with NTFS or FAT32

7. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

I tried the reformatting my drive and it still didn't work so that's when i rooted mine.

But it's always worth a shot to try.

8. kenji57

Yep, absolutely, and it sounds like Adamsavage has already taken the root route.
    My comment was aimed at clarifying for anyone browsing this thread who might be wondering what the talk about 3.1 and 3.2 meant

9. Adamsavage

Adamsavage Newbie

I had read that it would only support Fat32 format. So I did get it formatted to fat32. The Drive mount application can see the drive, but it wont actually mount it. It did give it a name and then in brackets "Booted" or "boot" one of the two. I'm not sure which, I don't have the tablet turned on at the moment.

10. kenji57

Wow, you went all out - root AND reformat to FAT32 and still no luck. Bummer.

Since your drive is FAT32 now, is it worth uninstalling drivemount and trying that? It worked for me without rooting.

Come to think of it though, now I remember one time the a500 wouldn't see the drive. I plugged the drive into my laptop, checked the files in explorer and then plugged it back into the a500 and it was fine again.

11. kenji57

I managed to reproduce the fault by messing around plugging the drive in and out and unmounting USB storage in settings. Got to the point where it wouldn't auto mount and even after hitting mount drive in settings it wouldn't read in file manager.

Fixed it this time by powering off the tab and rebooting with the hard drive connected

12. Adamsavage

Adamsavage Newbie

I have 3.2 now and it still won't recognize the hard drive. I think it's a hard drive that tablet doesnt like or the hard drive enclosure I'm not sure which 1.

13. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast

Try this hook up your drive it can be ntfs or fat32. Start the ntfs mount program and once it starts turn your tablet from landscape to portrait or portrait to landscape and it should you drive should pop up for you. Once you do this it will stay open. I had to do this every time I hooked up my external drive. I haven't had to do this for quite some time but I think I got the order of it right.

I forgot make sure you have the rotation switch to allow.

14. Adamsavage

Adamsavage Newbie

No can do anymore, It updated to 4.2 and I can't root it unless I put on a custom rom with root already on it. I think I will do this when I return home from visiting family for Christmas.

15. kenji57

I am on stock 3.2 and I just got a new drive (NTFS), plugged it in and it worked fine.

It was less trouble than my windows PC which kept wanted to install hardware drivers even though the drive was working OK. I had formatted my old drive to FAT32 to work with stock 3.1 and it's also fine on 3.2.
    So I can confirm that 3.2 works with FAT32 and NTFS.

@Adamsavage, it's starting to sound like your drive may be the problem. Did you try rebooting your tablet with the drive connected?

16. Adamsavage

Adamsavage Newbie

I got the tablet re-rooted and I tried a different drive this time. I was able to mount the different drive without any issues at all. I also was told at a local computer store, how to solve the problem of some drives needing a USB plug just for power. Just plug that USB plug into my Nexus One phones USB power plug.