1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Mirrorlink for S5

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jhodso1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jhodso1

jhodso1 Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2014
    Male
    I know that there has been some discussion about the S5's capabilities, but I am looking into getting the S5, and also Pioneer's Appradio3, which would allow for Mirrorlink. Anyone know if the S5 will support Mirrorlink, similar to the S3 did with Drivelink? I have searched online for any details, and can only see older posts on other sites saying that there is a rumor that Samsung will support Mirrorlink for the S5.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

2. chrisjhibbert

chrisjhibbert Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2014
    Retired
    Rennes, France

DriveLink is an implementation of MirrorLink for Android by Samsung. Or was. It has not been updated since Feb 2013, does not appear to work on recent Android releases, does not work on Samsung phones even, and the author email contact no longer exists. The user reports on the App Store page are universally appalling.

I conclude that despite what the car manufacturers say, if you have an Android phone, MirrorLink is not available to you.

Chris Hibbert

3. Mjeron

Mjeron Lurker
    None

Sep 10, 2015
    Male
    I got the operation of MirrorLink in Galaxy S5 ,
    excuse the language , do not speak English , read-only.
    See my recorded video.

Youtube
    Vídeo 1

video 2

#3 Mjeron, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  4. Mjeron

Mjeron Lurker
    None

Sep 10, 2015
    Male
    Feedback?

5. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    NW Arkansas, USA
    I'd suggest you look at the NEX line from Pioneer. They have Android Auto, which is likely what the standard will be going forward. It also supports AppRadio and MirrorLink. Kind of a do it all system. I just installed an AVH-4100NEX system in one of our vehicles in the last week, so have kind of been around the block on it. My S5 is rooted, so I can use AppRadio Unchained, which mirrors my entire phone function to the unit. Pretty cool. But unrooted, you could still use Android Auto, etc.

I got the 4100 because I don't need any GPS capability in the unit. I get that from mirroring my phone to it. It has CD/DVD player, SD card player, Aux and USB connections, Bluetooth and HDMI. I use an ActionTec ScreenBeam Mini to connect the phone to the HDMI. Way simpler and FAR cleaner than using an MHL adapter. If you do go with the MHL adapter, make sure to use only the Samsung branded on. The Pioneer one won't work, I tried them both, before going wireless.

6. Chelsey001c

Chelsey001c Lurker
    None

May 11, 2016
    Female
    When I try and use the Mirrorlink, I go into my phone and select the USB option. And then the headunit says it's reading my device and to not unplug it. Well it does that for 30 min and nothing happens! I have a S5 which has the Mirrorlink on it, any advice?

7. Chelsey001c

Chelsey001c Lurker
    None

May 11, 2016
    Female
    Another thing, I don't really like the Android Auto. In Maps you can't even search for something...what is the point of having it if I can't even put an address in?? How does that Actiontec - ScreenBeam Mini 2 Wireless Display Receiver - Black work that you mentioned? How do I connect it to my phone and the head unit? I might just tell the Best Buy installers to put that in instead.

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy S5