1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Missing "backup and restore" in Recover

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by maplewood, Apr 17, 2012.

1. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member

I'm trying to flash CyanongenMod 9 on my Incredible.

I have ROM manager (Pro) installed.
    I have DL'd

• update-cm-9.0.0-RC0a4-inc-UNOFFICIAL-signed.zip
      gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip

Both zips are in the root directory of the SD card.

The instructions available at Cyanogenmod 9 for Droid Incredible [Installation Guide] and elsewhere state that you should boot into recovery and do a backup and restore.

When I boot into Recovery I have a choice of

FASTBOOT (with a submenu of)
    Bootloader
    Reboot
    Reboot Bootloader
    Powerdown

Or I can select "Bootloader" and have the sub menu choices change to:

HBOOT
    Recovery (this just takes me back to "Fastboot" menu above)
    Clear Storage
    Simlock
    Factory Reset

I get these menus regardless of whether I boot into Recovery manually (volume button/power) or whether I select "Install from SD Card" in Rom Manager. ROM Manager asks if it is okay to "Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery....

(No "backup and Restore") choice anywhere and nothing about "install".

I have done a backup with ROM manager and with BackupEverything so perhaps my backup is available.

But when I try to Install the rom I end up at the boot screen with no option that seems to install the CYN-09.

Clearly I'm missing something really obvious. Any clues?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

O
    Your recovery is missing.... go into rom manager (the app) settings and choose the option to erase recovery before flashing. Then go to the main screen of rom manager and flash clockwork recovery 4 times. Then choose the option to boot into recovery. (When in recovery you will press the trackball to select options,not the power button FYI)

Also that is the only thing you should use rom manager for (flashing recovery) Manually install all roms from within clockwork, DO NOT use rom manager to install roms

maplewood likes this.
  3. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member

Many thanks.
    Worked like a charm.

(Why "recover" four times is a mystery but if it works. . . . )

4. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert

If sdrawkcab told me to flash a rom wearing a speedo, I'd do it. He is usually right and I wouldn't ask why.

sdrawkcab25 likes this.
  5. nschiwy

nschiwy Newbie

Out of curiousity why does everyone say not to use ROM manager to flash ROMs? I've flashed several ROMs using ROM manager and i've never had any problem. I honestly don't see a difference between letting it run the commands in CWM or doing it manually, it just seems easier to let ROM manager do all of the work since it's doing the same thing. I know how to do it manually, it's actually very easy to do and remember especially once you become a bit addicted to trying every other ROM out there like I have... but anyway I was just curious. :D

6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

ROM manager is very hit or miss. When people have problems after flashing a ROM, it can usually be attributed to ROM manager. Not trying to say it never works, but it's one less variable when trying to troubleshoot. So we usually recommend that people learn how to flash ROMs manually before using ROM manager.

iowabowtech likes this.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews