1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Missing Contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hangfirew8, Jul 22, 2011.

1. hangfirew8

hangfirew8 Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Central Maryland
    I got my third Thunderbolt last week (first stuck volume button, second screen anomolies). Moved everything over OK except... a lot of my added contacts are missing.

I'm sorry, but I thought ALL of these were backed up to my Gmail account! How can I avoid adding a new contact/phone number and have it not end up in Gmail?

Advertisement

2. myers6mm

myers6mm Guest
    None
    Make sure after you press "New Contact" you change "Contact Type" to Google. By default it's Phone. If you leave it Phone it won't sync to Google. After you change it to Google then you can put the name and other info in.

hangfirew8 likes this.
  3. hangfirew8

hangfirew8 Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Central Maryland
    OK... you're right, the default is Phone. Not what I ever wanted, but it is there and I've been ignoring it all along.

I have discovered that Backup Assistant had, and restored the missing contacts.

So now I have two more questions:

Is there a way to convert a large number of Phone contacts to Google contacts?

How do I set the default Add to always come up Google?

4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Get Lasik, then you won't have to worry about Contacts.... ;)

What method did you use to backup the contacts and did you backup the contacts after adding each contact? I've had trouble syncing my contacts via Google so I just used the Verizon backup application. So far I haven't noticed any missing contacts. Do you still have the old phone in your possession? I'm getting a replacement in a few days, and I am going to have to verify all my data before I ship this current phone back it seems.

5. hangfirew8

hangfirew8 Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Central Maryland
    My needs are modest, I just dislike having some contacts here, some there.
    Backup Assistant is the app name for Verizon's backup S/W. I forgot I had it when I got my new phone, I recall the phone store guy setting it up for me when I got Tbolt #2. I just forgot to run it and do a restore on Tbolt #3.

Tbolt #2 is gone, but I now have all my contacts back, and I just solved the sync problem. I got the contacts back by running the Vz app, Backup Assistant. Then, in People, I did an Export of Phone contacts to a data file on my SD card. Then I did an Import into my Google contact list of that same file.

I also tried a little app (ContactSync by HappyDroid.) That totally failed, so I uninstalled it. At least it didn't Force Close, it just said unrecognized data format or somesuch. So, I uninstalled it.

Problem solved... except... I now have duplicate entries for everyone. I could wait for a prompt to link all, but I'd rather just delete the Phone entries.

Shades of older "dumb" phones, that always ended up with duplicates when backing up and restoring from SIM card. At least I could avoid the SIM card altogether this time- that format loses SO MUCH data.

So now I've got all my contacts back, and in Google as well. Happy me. I just need to know how to make the default Add format Google instead of Phone.

6. hangfirew8

hangfirew8 Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Central Maryland
    My Google Marketplace just updated. Really don't like it. Nothing wrong with the old one. This one presents less data. Looks like Windows Phone 7. Ugh.

7. hangfirew8

hangfirew8 Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Central Maryland
    After the latest GB update, when I went into Contacts it asked me if I wanted to limit viewing to Google, Phone, or SIM. I picked Google and now everything defaults to Google Contacts by default.

Yeah!