• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Missing/delayed calls (possible temp. network vision growing pains)

dr g

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
www.droidtiles.com
I am not sure this is the same as the signal strength issue, because it seems my signal strength is pretty strong. I am straight up missing calls, I will get voicemails with no reported call misses. This is really bad, the #1 thing that a phone needs to do can not be unreliable. I'm not sure what to do or think.

Update your prl and profile.

Did it before it happened, then did it again and it happened again, and did it yet again after this last time that it happened. So we'll see.

Hopefully it is a network glitch and the upgrades will shake these events out. I have never had it happen before.

Upvote 0
What I would recommend doing is using Google voice as your voicemail provider. Go to the options menu on the website and have it send you an email when you miss a call.

Google voice will always log the call even if your phone does not ring. For somebody like me who uses this phone for work, it definitely helps. You may miss the call but you will at least know that you missed the call and you can call them back.

It has saved me many times!

Upvote 0
I have had this problem with OG Evo but with bleh reception. I really do believe it's a Sprint thing. If I'm lucky, people will leave voicemail at the very least.

I recommend Google Voice because:
- You can use it to forward voicemails free to your Sprint phone
- If you plan on rooting, you don't have to worry about losing your voicemails
- You can listen/check your voicemails away from you phone.

Upvote 0
Can't you just forward all your voicemails to your gmail with the app?

Yes you could in the Voicemail app's Settings, but I've never tried it that way.

Whichever is easier for your needs.

I just like integrating gmail and gvoice into my daily life since I'm on the PC a lot and can instantly listen to voicemails and make voice calls within gmail and gvoice.

NOTE: I've rooted my OG Evo and ran a Sense 3.5 ROM. It had compatibility issues with Sprint's Voicemail app (for obvious reasons). I could not get any voicemails. Google Voice saved my butt.

Upvote 0
And a couple more today. Is anyone NOT getting this behavior? Is this the kind of thing a hard reset could address? Or maybe that fast boot thing.

I'm not.... I feel bad saying it but I'm not really having any issues I'm concerned about. Every once in a while a text takes an extra minute to send but it tends to be when my signal is really bad, it's not all the time so it's not a big deal. I Haven't missed any calls, I'm not seeing my phone get super hot, no random resets.... zip, zilch, nada. I feel bad when I see people are having problems because it's been great for me.

Maybe you should take it in and have it tested? Otherwise unless others in your same city post that they're having the same issue I don't know how you could know if it's the network or the phone?

Upvote 0
Eh, I'm missing calls too, so you're not alone.

It's not a handset issue, though....it's the network. Between network updates and the chaos this past weekend's storm has caused, all cell phone networks have been clogged and bandwidth compromised so that high priority communication can take place.

Not to say you still won't experience missed calls after things settle down, but this should help explain unusally high percentages @ this time.

As previously mentioned earlier in this thread, it's beneficial to integrate w/ Google Voice if you haven't already, as it is independent of carrier network, and so long as you have data access (3G, wifi, LTE), you can text/call/voicemail with little, if any interruptions.

GrooveIP is also a great app to purchase to coincide w/ Google Voice, especially if you had a separate GV account prior to Sprint integration. Nothing better than having 2 phone #'s tied to your handset, just in case. :D

Reactions: dr g
Upvote 0
It's not a handset issue, though....it's the network. Between network updates and the chaos this past weekend's storm has caused, all cell phone networks have been clogged and bandwidth compromised so that high priority communication can take place.

Agreed that it's not a handset issue. My brother in CO called me tonight (he's on Sprint too) and asked me to call him back to test his phone (a GS2) because he said he's missed a couple calls for no apparent reason. When I called him back it rang on my end a few times but didn't ring for him - the only reason he knew when to answer was because he saw on the screen that I was calling.

Upvote 0
Agreed that it's not a handset issue. My brother in CO called me tonight (he's on Sprint too) and asked me to call him back to test his phone (a GS2) because he said he's missed a couple calls for no apparent reason. When I called him back it rang on my end a few times but didn't ring for him - the only reason he knew when to answer was because he saw on the screen that I was calling.

that sounds more like a ringer issue ...?

Upvote 0
that sounds more like a ringer issue ...?

His ringer was on but his calls have been going to voicemail or he just sees he's missed a call... I thought that was the same issue you've been having? It just happened to be he was looking at his phone tonight waiting for me to call him back.

Just passing on the only info. I have, it sounded related to me :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
His ringer was on but his calls have been going to voicemail or he just sees he's missed a call... I thought that was the same issue you've been having? It just happened to be he was looking at his phone tonight waiting for me to call him back.

Just passing on the only info. I have, it sounded related to me :rolleyes:

I don't get an indication of a call at all ... I just get a voicemail later. Sometimes what you described happens when the network takes a long time to put a call through. Like it'll ring almost to the voicemail, but right at the end it'll get through and show up on the phone, but not long enough to ring. Or it may have to do with the auto-silence ringer function.

Is it "non ringing" for a long time?

Upvote 0
I don't get an indication of a call at all ... I just get a voicemail later. Sometimes what you described happens when the network takes a long time to put a call through. Like it'll ring almost to the voicemail, but right at the end it'll get through and show up on the phone, but not long enough to ring. Or it may have to do with the auto-silence ringer function.

Is it "non ringing" for a long time?

No idea, it's my brother having this issue.
But I do think it's a network problem and not our phone.
My daughter has an iphone and is also on Sprint, I asked her today if she's been having any problems in the last couple weeks with texts not sending or taking a long time (as reported in another thread), or missing calls, etc. She replied "Yes!" that she's having all of these issues as well as intermittently losing her internet connection.

When I got off work today I called the general Sprint number and the outgoing message said something along the lines of "if you're having issues with voice/text/internet services we're aware of the problem and are working diligently to correct it."

So maybe your issue isn't related to whatever is causing the network problems but it sure sounds like it to me.

Reactions: dr g
Upvote 0
Thanks, more good info. It's so much better if it's a network issue.

Well... it is, and it isn't :p
I've been checking out the S3 forums a little over the last few days just to see if life is all rosy for them, and I've seen some of the same issues being reported there. A few posts from there led me to posts on the official Sprint forums (I hardly ever go there) and some of the same types of issues were reported there from as far back as early or mid-June. Just like on our forums, not everyone is having these issues but I hope Sprint resolves whatever's going on soon because some of the natives are getting pretty restless.

Upvote 0
Well... it is, and it isn't :p
I've been checking out the S3 forums a little over the last few days just to see if life is all rosy for them, and I've seen some of the same issues being reported there. A few posts from there led me to posts on the official Sprint forums (I hardly ever go there) and some of the same types of issues were reported there from as far back as early or mid-June. Just like on our forums, not everyone is having these issues but I hope Sprint resolves whatever's going on soon because some of the natives are getting pretty restless.

I have definitely seen issues as they change over to the new network.

a visit to your local store should be able to confirm this

I believe most issues should be resolved by the 15th, assuming you are in a city that is on the list

just sayin :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones