• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Missing Firefox

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
Yesterday my friend let somebody else use his phone. This morning Firefox was gone. I restarted the phone for him and the SD card, which had apparently disappeared also, turned up, but Firefox was still not there. I've tried redownloading it with no luck. The apk version, the "official" 90.1.1 (I think), an earlier version from April...they all are bogus. What does "there was a problem parsing the package" even mean?

You are most likely dowbloading the wrong version for the device.

Find the Arm designation of the device, and download the same Arm of the app.

Also, Firefox is not that great for Android.

It is pretty bloated and slow, not to mention the controversial political stances of those in charge of it.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/acr.browser.lightning/

Upvote 0
I don't care too much about that. The main reason I use it, besides privacy, is for downloading ebooks. It just doesn't work with Duckduckgo, and I don't know why not. Could Firefox have been accidentally and not maliciously deleted? Everything else seems fine.

Funny that you mention privacy, when the people in charge of the app are against that very thing (regardless of what they claim)- which is part of the contoversy with their political views.

Also, the browser I use IDM+, can download about anything- using DuckDuckGo as a search engine- and using Lightning as a base for its browser.

How about you pass me a link and let me try? (PM me if you have to.)

I bet that Lightning can download anything that Firefox can.

I don't know how it could have been deleted, not really knowing the device or people.

Was this an app on the SD card, by chance?
An app on a SD card will lose its icon from the homescreen upon a restart.
Only one of multiple reasons not to put apps onto SD cards.

Upvote 0
Yesterday my friend let somebody else use his phone. This morning Firefox was gone. I restarted the phone for him and the SD card, which had apparently disappeared also, turned up, but Firefox was still not there.

Perhaps it was uninstalled? Which is easily done of course.

I've tried redownloading it with no luck. The apk version, the "official" 90.1.1 (I think), an earlier version from April...they all are bogus. What does "there was a problem parsing the package" even mean?

That can often mean the APK you're trying to install is corrupted.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
On my computer it is found @ : Tools/dropdownbox/Add Ons/Extensions
fx2.jpg

fx.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Is that for computers only? I hope to change the situation, but for the moment it's phone(s) only. I guess I'll have to let Firefox go for now. It's weird to think about them as hating privacy, but maybe it's true. I'll have to investigate. Have you seen their YouTube Regrets? Apparently there are many people who watched videos they wish they hadn't, and most of those were recommended by the thing itself, in violation of its own alleged policies.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Have you checked out Lightning?

Yeah, I know I go on and on about it.

Anyway, I think you would be pleasantly surprised.
Might even make a willing convert out of you.

Tell you what, just try it out.
Whatever you don't like, or have questions about, whatever- just ask.
I have used Lightning for years, and altjough I now use a modded downloader with a modded version of Lightning for a browser, I still always have a current version of Lightning installed.

There are multiple other versions, all legit becauae Lightning is completely open source, and they give even more options.

So, depending upon your needs, I bet there is a Lightning version out there that you will then compare all other browsers (mobile or PC) to.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/acr.browser.lightning/

Start with that.
Let me know whatever you want to about what you want/need from it.

Not kidding, on my e6 I recebtly had over 100 open tabs in my browser.
Can Firefox do that, and not slow to a crawl?
Hahaha, the question is mute, because Firefox ALWAYS moves along at a crawl.

But seriously, just give it a whirl.

Once you get used to it, you won't go back and you won't keep looking.
The only thing I keep looking for is different versions of Lightning, so that I can check them out.

Just so you know, I have nothing to gain whatsoever from promoting Lightning.

All I can say is that it literally revolutionized my browsing experience on Android, and I am forever thankful to the developer (who has never responded to me in any way).

I know that when you first open it, it is disconcerting (at least for me) to see that Google is the preset homepage.

But the beauty of Lightning is in its simplicity and versatility, and in the ability to customize it.

So check it out as is, if you can tolerate Google.

Then try this...
In the app, go to

(three dot menu on top right)
Settings
General settings
Homepage
Webpage
(go to the end, then backspace until nothing remains)
Copy/paste the following into the homepage area, and then tap OK.

https://duckduckgo.com/?kae=t&kg=p&...=b&kv=-1&kak=-1&kax=-1&kaq=-1&kap=-1&kao=-1&k

In fact, you can just tap on that link above to see what it is going to look like.
That, and the DDG settings that are encoded, will become the new homepage.

This can also be used as the webpage for the search engine.
(If another app opens Lightning for a search, the settings of your homepage will still be in effect.)

Basically, this sets DuckDuckGo as your search engine, and embeds DDG settings so that you don't need to set them yourself (with each search if you clear cookies!)

Now completely close the browser, then reopen it.

Voila, welcome to a new world.

You now have access to unlimited tabs and bookmarks.

Go through and check all the settings, for the best security and your preferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
There is a version of Lightning out there called Midori, that offers a global dark theme.

I use that for this site right here.
The bookmarks are actually links to apps that I recommend on this site, the homepage is set to open this site, and I have no ads, with a dark theme- and an easy, enjoyable experience here.
It almost feels as though I have an app for this site, and essentially, I do.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.midorinext.android/

Upvote 0
Funny that you mention privacy, when the people in charge of the app are against that very thing (regardless of what they claim)- which is part of the contoversy with their political views.

Mozilla's ceo was forced out after a bunch of California Brownshirts poured over the lists of donars to a particular political campaign, trying to ruin the lives of anyone who dared to not group think. Then came their "update" which would not allow the Gab extension to run within Firefox. Their anti free speech goose stepping since is just noise, I've long since dumped them.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones