1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Missing "Install from zip" option when rebooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Famous Mortimer, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Famous Mortimer

None

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm trying to install a custom rom. Everything is going smoothly up to the "reboot into recovery" mode, when I do that and it reboots, I don't get the option to "install from zip" that the Youtube videos and so on are telling me I should have.

Same thing happens when I try and do it the "Install Rom From SD Card" way from the Rom Manager screen. I get to the same stage, and my reboot screen has less options than other reboot screens.

Fingers crossed this is something simple, but I'd really appreciate some help from y'alls.

Advertisement

2. Famous Mortimer

None

Sep 29, 2010
    Looks like I need recovery version 2e rather than 3e. Bugger. Anyone got any suggestions about how I can go about doing that?

3. Kimbernator

Kimbernator Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    I think if you re-flash clockwork recovery it will update it...

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    You need to flash a kernel that supports 2e recovery.

5. Famous Mortimer

None

Sep 29, 2010
    Cheers for that. Any advice on where to find one and how to go about doing it?

6. Famous Mortimer

None

Sep 29, 2010
    I've found this thread:

recovery 3e modified to work like recovery 2e - Updated 01/23/2011 - xda-developers

and have copied the first file across to the /system/bin folder, but when it talks about "keys", I'm baffled. Any help would be really appreciated.

And this one: http://android.modaco.com/content/s...w-to-change-recovery-3e-into-2e/#entry1496979 - but its slightly unhelpful last post is "You'll need to do a full firmware reflash via Odin." I have Odin but the rest of that sentence made no sense at all to me. I'm not completely useless with my phone, but is there anyone who can either point me in the direction of or just write an idiot's guide? "Get this file", "put the file in this folder", "press this button", etc.