• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Missing options?

Hi, guys. I just recently got my Galaxy S3 (my very first smartphone, and my first encounter with Android). It is a brilliant device, but today I discovered a small issue that, while not really problematic in any way, still bugs me, so I was hoping you could help me.

First I realized that my phone doesn't give me any sort of notification when I plug in my earphones. A simple Google search led me to this forum, where I read that I could solve the problem by going to Settings>Accessory>check the ''Show Audio Application'' box. However, when I go to settings, accessory, this box is nowhere to be found. All I have are the following options: Dock sound, Audio output mode, Desk home screen display, and Audio output (stereo or surround). So yeah, this kinda got me worried. I have no idea if some of my other options are missing as well. As I've said, it really isn't a big deal, and my earphones ARE functional, but I'd still like to hear from you guys - has this happened to anyone else, is there a way around it, etc.?

I should note that my Android version is 4.1.2 (this is Jelly Bean, I take it?), and it has not been rooted.

Btw, I also had problems with the music player (both the original and Winamp) suddenly pausing or even stopping for no apparent reason, and I solved it, or so it seems, by turning off the motions for pausing or stopping the player, either with your palm, or turning it over. Since I've done that, I haven't experienced any problems. However, is this only a temporary fix, or a permanent one?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hello, perhaps I may be of some help. Although you say that your phone has not been rooted, I can verify, as I'm sure most of us here who have this model can as well, that the Official Jelly Bean version of your Android OS should in fact be 4.1.1, as this is the OTA (Over the Air) and Keis official update to your AT&T Galaxy S 3 phone. (Model SGH-I747). So first off, the OS is not an official one for the phone (although it may be one that was flashed with some updates, that I'm not entirely sure of), second, The location you will want to go to is the following:

Applications;Settings:Accessory, and from here there is a title bar called Earphones. There should be a check box in the setting (only one setting there) that says Audio Applications: Connecting earphones will enable audio applications in quick panel.

Check to see if that box has a check mark in it, if not try that out. Hope it helps. :-D

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

I'll assume that you have the international version (i9300) as that has received the 4.1.2 jellybean update. I wouldn't worry about the setting not being there, it's not on mine either. I'm guessing the post you read was regarding old firmware. You'll notice with each firmware update some settings will disappear and others will be added.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Sorry, I had no idea there were different versions of the device, depending on location. Now that I know about these slight discrepancies between different versions of firmware, I feel relieved. :) I just hope the fix for the music player(s) continues to work as well, because that really is important to me. Other than that, I'm fascinated with this device. Imagine the leap I made, from Sony Ericsson C905 to Galaxy S3! :D

Upvote 0
Hi, I know this is an old topic and I'm also new on this forum so be kind :) But I just got my new phone Samsung Galaxy S3 and I got the same issue as above. When I check accessory I have no options regarding earphones, only Dock and HDMI.

Stock Samsung Galaxy s3
Android version 4.1.2

Is there a fix for this? Or at least an explanation?

kind regards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones