• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Missing S9+ voice note - urgent

TheHornet

Lurker
Feb 9, 2020
Hi all,

Today I recorded a very important voice note. I named it and saved it, but when I went back to find it it has gone.

Bizarrely, when I go to "my files" the "voice notes" section does show that the last time the folder was updated or used was the exact moment that I saved the recording.

Does anyone know if there is a way to recover this? I have searched my phone top to bottom.

I am on the latest version of Android.

Thank you.

Correct, open the app that you used to record the voice note with and find it from there

It's just the standard Samsung "Voice Recorder" app. That's the first place I looked before the file manager.

are you using a file manager to locate the file? have you tried looking for it on your pc? what app are you using to take your notes from?

Yes file manager, and it also doesnt show up on the PC.

The strangest thing is the way you can see that the "Voice Recorder" folder in file manager was last updated exactly when I originally saved the voice note, but it's just not there!

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, TheHornet!

A wild guess here, but could you have started its name--even accidentally--with a dot? On Linux, file names starting with dots are hidden unless you explicitly tell your command, or file manager, to see them.

If this is what happened, and you haven't told your file managers [via their settings] to include displaying hidden files, that would explain it.

Your point about the timestamp is indeed important, and supports the fact that you used/saved a file at that time. See if it's hidden.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, TheHornet!

A wild guess here, but could you have started its name--even accidentally--with a dot? On Linux, file names starting with dots are hidden unless you explicitly tell your command, or file manager, to see them.

If this is what happened, and you haven't told your file managers [via their settings] to include displaying hidden files, that would explain it.

Your point about the timestamp is indeed important, and supports the fact that you used/saved a file at that time. See if it's hidden.

Hi MoodyBlues, thanks for your welcome and input.

Unfortunately I have tried showing hidden files, and still nothing. It's all very strange.

Upvote 0
Hi MoodyBlues, thanks for your welcome and input.
Aw, you're welcome.
Unfortunately I have tried showing hidden files, and still nothing. It's all very strange.
Oh, shoot. I was hoping that was it.

Have you tried a broad search, using part of its name? By broad I mean outside its expected location. Maybe it somehow ended up in a different directory. I see that you've "searched my phone top to bottom," but how? Moving through directories visually looking for a file is different from doing a search based on characters you're sure are in its name. Try that, if you haven't already.

You might also try, from a computer, doing a search for files modified during a certain time period; that would catch things that may not show up for some reason other ways. In fact, really, this is the most foolproof method. I only use Linux, on which a search like this is a breeze; I don't know about other OSes, so I can't help you there.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones