1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Missing settings in Google Hangouts

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ChristianTang, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ChristianTang

ChristianTang Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm having some serious difficulties getting Google Hangouts to work with SMS on my Nexus 5. Google Hangouts crashes every time I enable SMS.

After I Google'd the problem, I found out, that I should check out the APN settings in the app.

BUT! For some reason my "version" of Hangouts is missing several advanced settings.

[​IMG]

Under Advanced there should be settings like "MMS Group Messaging", and I would expect the APN-settings to be there as well.

I have Google Hangouts updated to version 2.0.303 (1004807-30)

Can someone help me with this?

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I dont have APN settings in hangouts either. Doesnt what you read refer to the phone's APN settings?
    SMS doesnt need the internet/apn as far as i know anyway :thinking:
    Maybe try reinstalling hangouts if you can?

3. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
    If you send a group sms then many carriers require it to be sent as a MMS. Thats when you need the APN settings. However if hangouts is not the stock messaging app on your phone it may be able to piggyback on the stock app. If you send an sms with hangouts does the same message show within stock messages? If it does you may not need APN settings as it is actually sending via stock but using hangouts interface.

As Funkylogic says, try uninstalling hangouts & reinstalling. (When you do you will see it imports all your existing messages from the stock app).

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    There are no APN settings within hangouts. These would be the phone's APN settings under menu>settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks>access point names.

Since the options in your screenshot are greyed out, I'm going to assume hangouts isn't your default SMS app. You can change that in menu>settings>wireless & networks>Default SMS app