• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Missing stock CertInstaller.apk preventing me from upgrading

cmtptr

Lurker
Feb 7, 2011
Hi,

I am unable to perform an OTA upgrade on my Motorola Droid due to an assert during the upgrade process:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/CertInstaller.apk", "429cf7545b4f36d58ddc874ca805c35e9b098044", "47337b764a1ef7323d0e41ecdc70aa2ec1010011")
E:Error in /cache/bede60e851bb.signed-voles-FRG83D-from-FRG22D.bede60e8.zip (Status 7)
Installation aborted.
Upon further investigation, I noticed that /system/app/CertInstaller isn't even there. There is a CertInstaller.apk.patch and CertInstaller.odex.

This has been preventing me from upgrading for a while now, and the recurring message on my phone prompting me to upgrade is getting pretty annoying. What are my options at this point? Can I somehow recover the stock CertInstaller.apk from somewhere? I don't know how this file was removed, or even whether it was ever there in the first place. Is it safe to simply remove CertInstaller.apk.patch (which appears to be an empty file, anyway)?

I will greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Sorry for the late response; I thought I had this forum marked to email me when someone responds.

lennyjew,
this is not a manual update. It is OTA.

RyanB,
I was hoping to resolve this without going to a Verizon store, because in my experience "customer support" is usually clueless. I'm afraid their solution will be to hand me a new phone, or something equally stupid.

And I hadn't found xda-developers.com. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

Upvote 0
OP, you're concern over store support is certainly valid. Other than a factory reset (wiping ALL your data, I'm not sure you have much choice). Do keep us posted on how you make out.

Unfortunately I ended up going to a verizon store and this is what they did. But oh well, at least the problem is solved. Still, it would have been nice to know what happened to get me in that state.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones