• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root mistakes were made...

cirons69

Lurker
May 10, 2011
I rooted my phone using gingerbreak, i deleted some sys apps/files now i can only make one call (screen freezes and i have to reboot).I can't make a call, my phone is not connecting to the web via a browser ( tho i can get to the app market). and i think i have usb capability.
I know, im an idiot for deleating files before i knew exactly what i was doing but i was excited.

well enough said my phone wont work for sending/reciving calls,my question...

can i reset to factory settings, whats the easiest fix for a problem like this?
i can acsess the sd card and the phone fuctions normaly besides the formentioned problems?

Thnaks for any help!!!

yeah if you did the custom recovery then you will shut the phone off. then hold the power volume down and the home button. after the lg screen comes up let the power button go but keep holding the volume and home keys. the lg screen will go away and you should be in custom recovery. it wont be in the user manual, by rooting you are kinda beyond that lol

Upvote 0
I didn't back up anything...?

I was reading somewhere that you can hold certain buttons on boot that will recover my factory settings, is this true?

I don't see this in the manual.

I belive i might have deleted these files..

Browser.apk - MetroWEB - Required for Android Market
Phone.apk - Phone app/dialer

Yeah, you can NOT delete the browser. It's actually the stock Android browser which Metro re-named MetroWeb and set with Metro as the home page. You can add browsers but you can't delete that one and have other stuff work right.

Why would you delete a file called Phone.apk when you have a PHONE? OK, mistakes were made. I won't razz you any more.

To the other question, NO the "factory reset" (pushing certain buttons on reboot) does not restore any missing files. It just restores all the factory settings. But if you've deleted the Android browser, it won't magically reappear. I know from experience on that one. :)

Or you could use LGPNST to restore it to out of box

What he said. You use LGPNST to restore to out-of-box condition. That is what I had to do.

After you do that, you can re-root and do whatever you want SAFELY.

Reactions: cirons69
Upvote 0
Thanks Chazz, I know i made a few really stupied mistakes. I just want to say thank you guys for helping me i really apreciate all your efforts :) I can connect my phone to my computer thank god! So im hoping that all i need to do is lgpnst and restore it to factory, problem is it's kind of complicated, lgnpst is not recognizing my phone so how am i suposse to apply the dll? Any way i dont want to take any more of your time, could someone please direct/link me to a GOOD tutorial for lgnpst?

Thanks sooo much everyone!

Upvote 0
Someone may want to chime in on the fix I'm about to suggest but, I think you can "update" the phone to stock using the LG Mobile Support Tool.
Download it here Mobile Phone Support
Don't worry about checking to see if there is an update for your phone, the software will do that for you.
If you haven't installed the drivers for your phone onto your PC, it will also give you the option to do that as well.
Hopefully this will work and you won't have to mess with LGPNST, until you try to root the phone again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones