• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MIUI Folder Management

Hi all,

i have just installed miui rom and really like the ui and particularly the speed of the rom.

the one issue i have is the lack of app drawer and the apparently random nature of application placement on the home screens. having browsed the threads this appears to be a 'feature' of miui...

to manage these apps it is recommended to use folders. but speed is an issue to me. creating a folder is easy enough, but i find it extremely slow to long press on an icon and drag to the necessary folder for all my apps. i would have liked to see a quick way of management, similar to folderorganizer app where you can quickly place multiple apps in folders.

does anybody have tips that allow better / quicker management of apps and folders in miui?

Yup. MIUI is a clone of the iOS no matter how you look at it. Some people like it, some people don't. I gave up using it after realising what a mess it is to have ALL your app icons on your home screens. I have no idea how Apple users put up with that. To each man, his own poison.

Can't you simply keep using folder organizer though?

Upvote 0
So I created a folder called 'Apps.' I put ALL the icons I don't use in that folder, and I put it in the center position of my dock.

Now it works just like an app drawer. Except I can sort that folder by most frequently used, so the stuff I do need on occasion are near the top.

Last I checked, iOS doesn't allow more than 12 icons in a folder. It doesn't allow you to put icons wherever on your homescreens. It doesn't allow you to move homescreens around. It doesn't allow you to insert homescreens between existing ones. It doesn't allow you to rename your icons or change the icon image. So, no, MIUI is not iOS. If you don't like the iOS-looking UI, just choose a different theme. There's tons of free themes for MIUI you can get from the Theme Manager.

Upvote 0
So I created a folder called 'Apps.' I put ALL the icons I don't use in that folder, and I put it in the center position of my dock.

Now it works just like an app drawer. Except I can sort that folder by most frequently used, so the stuff I do need on occasion are near the top.

Last I checked, iOS doesn't allow more than 12 icons in a folder. It doesn't allow you to put icons wherever on your homescreens. It doesn't allow you to move homescreens around. It doesn't allow you to insert homescreens between existing ones. It doesn't allow you to rename your icons or change the icon image. So, no, MIUI is not iOS. If you don't like the iOS-looking UI, just choose a different theme. There's tons of free themes for MIUI you can get from the Theme Manager.

When I last tried MIUI, it was still in beta and themes weren't supported yet. So I suppose in reality I didn't quite experience the full potential of MIUI.

But surely you are not going to deny that there are many similarities between the two OS. Btw, all those things you mentioned about icons, I have a feeling that you can do it if you have a jail broken iPhone.

Upvote 0
Yup. MIUI is a clone of the iOS no matter how you look at it. Some people like it, some people don't. I gave up using it after realising what a mess it is to have ALL your app icons on your home screens. I have no idea how Apple users put up with that. To each man, his own poison.
I agree. I've tried to use the phone like that and it was a constant irritation.
Give me a pure Gingerbread ROM instead. :)

Upvote 0
I agree. I've tried to use the phone like that and it was a constant irritation.
Give me a pure Gingerbread ROM instead. :)

CM7 is a pretty clean GB ROM. The RC build works 100% on Evo.

I jailbroke my iPad. It's nowhere near as liberating as a rooted Android. My dislike for iOS is not really the aesthetics. It's the incredibly nerfed functionality. That's probably why I don't dislike MIUI simply because the settings menus look like iOS menus. The amount of functionality is amazing, and the stock apps look really nice.

And I actually like GB as a standalone OS. Google made a LOT of little enhancements to give the OS some polish. It may not be as prettily skinned, but the user experience is much improved (keyboard, moving cursor within a word, copy/paste, among lots of other things).

Upvote 0
I've changed my views on this - the Android App drawer is not really useful since it just lumps all apps together.

When you can have many screens, there's no reason not to organize apps by screen, and then its much easier to switch to a 'Games' screen, rather than having to hunt for games in a app drawer that has a 100 apps.

You can still have a neat and tidy home screen, there's no reason to visit the others if you don't want to. Scrolling through the app drawer is no different than thru multiple screens.

Also another cool thing in MIUI - to organize, you can click-hold an icon, then use the other finger to slide and switch screens. This is incredibly useful.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
I've changed my views on this - the Android App drawer is not really useful since it just lumps all apps together.

When you can have many screens, there's no reason not to organize apps by screen, and then its much easier to switch to a 'Games' screen, rather than having to hunt for games in a app drawer that has a 100 apps.

You can still have a neat and tidy home screen, there's no reason to visit the others if you don't want to. Scrolling through the app drawer is no different than thru multiple screens.

Also another cool thing in MIUI - to organize, you can click-hold an icon, then use the other finger to slide and switch screens. This is incredibly useful.

I agree that folders are very useful, but the addition of an app drawer (a single place for all apps) will not stop you from using folders....
and if miui could use some sort of folder management like folder organser, that would be the icing on the cake...

Upvote 0

How did you name the folder? cant seem to figure that one out..

Upvote 0
Hi all,

i have just installed miui rom and really like the ui and particularly the speed of the rom.

the one issue i have is the lack of app drawer and the apparently random nature of application placement on the home screens. having browsed the threads this appears to be a 'feature' of miui...

to manage these apps it is recommended to use folders. but speed is an issue to me. creating a folder is easy enough, but i find it extremely slow to long press on an icon and drag to the necessary folder for all my apps. i would have liked to see a quick way of management, similar to folderorganizer app where you can quickly place multiple apps in folders.

does anybody have tips that allow better / quicker management of apps and folders in miui?

u have to open the folder, then long press the title bar til the edit window opens :) long pressing the folder itself only allows u to rename it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones