1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root MIUI - Help Please!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AppsRUs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. AppsRUs

AppsRUs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    East Coast
    Hey there!

So I really want to root my phone, but I'm the type of person who needs step-by-step instructions. I've searched through all of the ROMs (I guess you call them?) and I've found MIUI to be the most appealing to me. What do I need to do to get this on my phone? Is there one out there that's better than another? I am so lost when it comes to all of this. I've read through the guides here and they all reference to Cyro--something or reVOked (sp?) and I'm totally lost.

Would appreciate any and all help! Thanks!

Advertisement

2. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    There should be a sticky here explaining how to root using unrevoked

one you have done that download ROM manager

use that to download Miui

AppsRUs likes this.
  3. AppsRUs

AppsRUs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    East Coast
    I DID IT!

I feel so alive! lol. Thanks!

4. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    enjoy, todays update should be available as an ota. Make sure you find some themes and remember you can mix and match parts of different themes.

I an using the sense 3.0 lock screen with a theme with picture icons, love it.

With Miui, use their backup as well as nandroid, it is better than titanium

5. fallen0127

fallen0127 Member
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    Washington

I recently tried miui, and it is really cool...... however (and I am sure you knew this was coming), I have a few issues maybe an avid user like you may help me to get past.

I did a nandroid backup so it will be an easy install should I be able to figure these things out.

1. I had to install adw launcher as I couldn't change around any of the shortcuts on the screens. I am used to fully customizing what goes where, and removing the things I don't want on the homescreens. If I am going to use adw, why not run cm7 which integrates adw nicely into it's system.

2. You see I have some seriously psycho ex family members. I love the send to voicemail feature natively built into most roms. After tearing through the system and numerous searches on Google, I couldn't figure out how to do this natively on miui without downloading an app for it.

3. Individual ringtones..... all I could find was to set a default ringtone. I like to set ringtones that fit peoples personalities so I know who is calling before I pull my phone out. It is a nice feature in every other version of android I have used, yet looking through, and many Google searches later.... I came up empty handed.

If I can fix all three of these, it would definitely be my daily driver as it it has a nice clean interface, cool themes, and very fast. Please FramCire, if you know how to do these 3 things in miui without the help of apps let me know.

6. wgbeatty

wgbeatty Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    PC Tech
    Michigan
    1. I had to install adw launcher as I couldn't change around any of the shortcuts on the screens. I am used to fully customizing what goes where, and removing the things I don't want on the homescreens. If I am going to use adw, why not run cm7 which integrates adw nicely into it's system.

I'm using Launcher7 for the WP7 look, but used ADW with MIUI for a bit. MIUI is designed to be like the iPhone UI/function wise. If you don't like it, other launchers can integrate just fine with MIUI. I personally like having the MIUI Rom (because it's solid) and having the launcher of my choice. So far for me, ADW and Launcher7 have integrated nicely with the rom. Had some weird "glitches" with LauncherPro though.

2. You see I have some seriously psycho ex family members. I love the send to voicemail feature natively built into most roms. After tearing through the system and numerous searches on Google, I couldn't figure out how to do this natively on miui without downloading an app for it.

Have you looked at DND in MIUI? It's do not disturb mode. You can blacklist callers, sms, etc.

3. Individual ringtones..... all I could find was to set a default ringtone. I like to set ringtones that fit peoples personalities so I know who is calling before I pull my phone out. It is a nice feature in every other version of android I have used, yet looking through, and many Google searches later.... I came up empty handed.

Under each contact, you can set a ringtone of your choosing. Just edit the contact and you'll see the setting there.

Love MIUI. It's been my daily driver for a couple months now. A few glitches sometimes introduced with new releases, but hey, it's in beta. Running the latest version now and it's very solid for me.

7. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Go into menu and edit from any homescreen and you can move things around.

Also on any homescreen do the pinch out and you can then move entire screens around.

you should be able to customize your homescreen with stock browser

8. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 18, 2010
    I have a couple of MIUI questions as well so I might as well place them here.

1.) This one is no biggie, but if I can solve it, that'd be great. My phone always vibrates when I dial a number and hit the call button. Any way to shut that off? I checked all the settings and have everything I can find that relates to vibration turned off.

2.) I have a golf GPS app that I bought from the market. It works fine with MIUI, but the font is way to big. I know it's ROM related because the font is normal size with every other ROM I use. The app itself has no font settings so I can't adjust from within the app. I tried changing the font size settings for MIUI, but that didn't do anything either. In fact, I didn't notice a change in anything when I changed the MIUI font size. Does that feature actually work?