• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MIUI kernel options?

Joehunni

Android Expert
May 27, 2010
Texas
Ok so I was about to try out the unique and very popular MIUI ROM but I noticed that it comes prepackaged with an SBC kernel. I have no desire to run one of these problematic kernels, what other kernels do y'all reccommend to flash over MIUI for good performance/battery life?

Over at the Miui forum there are a lot of people recommending the savage kernels. Just not sure which version to go with.

I believe the kernel packaged with MIUI is a savage kernel w/ SBC. So it makes sense to look for a savage with noSBC.

I also see BCBlend mentioned. I don't think it's an SBC kernel, but I'm not 100% sure. Check the sticky thread in the MIUI dev forum.

Upvote 0
I believe the kernel packaged with MIUI is a savage kernel w/ SBC. So it makes sense to look for a savage with noSBC.

I also see BCBlend mentioned. I don't think it's an SBC kernel, but I'm not 100% sure. Check the sticky thread in the MIUI dev forum.

The latest version of MIUI 1.2.11 comes with 2.6.32.25 bcblend. I don't see any mention of SBC in the kernel name.

Upvote 0
interesting. Does anyone know why the kernel is named BCBlend? Just wondering if the BC(blend) refers to some different battery charging mechanism...

I think it's called bcblend because a) dev is named bcnice (ok you didn't ask that part, and it was rather obvious, anyway), and b) it's a "blend" of features from various other kernels along with his work. That's just a guess, but I know for a fact that the normal bcblend kernel does not include SBC. No idea if there is any other charging mechanism, but how many are there :p? In any case, I know this because the official AOSP SBC kernel is a variation of bcblend, found here. If you're using the official bcblend kernel, it shouldn't be SBC. If you use the official AOSP SBC kernel, it will be bcblend, but with SBC. That sound right?

Upvote 0
Found this thread:

[KERNELS] Official Kernel Discussion Thread - All Kernel Talk Here Please

icon14.png
[KERNELS] Links to kernels you can use on miui....
Just thought id put together a post with links to the different kernels everyone can use on MIUI. so, yea, pretty simple...here ya goz:

to flash a kernel, follow these instructions:
1) back up your apps if you want...never know what can happen, esp when flashing a BFS (brain-**** scheduler) kernel.
2) reboot into recovery
3) nandroid backup (if ya feel the neeeeeeed)
4) flash CLEAR_TEMP_FILES.ZIP : download here : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16341178/CLEAR_TEMP_FILES.zip
5) flash the kernel you downloaded
6) reboot

if getting bootloop after that, go back to recovery and use the steps above to flash a different kernel. if bootloops persists, nandroid restore. if that doesnt work, then flash the FORMAT_ALL.zip and reflash miui.

FORMAT_ALL.zip dl :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16341178/FORMAT_ALL.zip

hope this helps in some way. ill try and keep this updated for everyone and maybe i might even put lil things about each kernel such as if it seems to cause more reboots or whatever....

Upvote 0
After a full day with the latest Ziggy CFS kernel I think I found my kernel of choice for miui. USB and camera both work. It allows you to overclock to 1.2ghz. I've been putting the kernel/rom through the ringer and the battery is holding steady. Everything is pretty snappy. I haven't had an fc or random reboots.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
From miui forums -

"Hey guys. The bt issue is not a Savaged-Zen kernel issue. The problem is MIUI does not like bt stacks past. 32 kernel patch. I just got back so I'll continue to work on this. Also, I'll crank out a few non-sbc kernels if there is demand. Personally, I love sbc. But different strokes..."

So the newer kernels >32 may have this problem

Upvote 0
Just wanted to post some links to the Ziggy Evo Kernels in case anyone was confused by which one's to download. These are the latest releases for EVO as of today. Here's the changelog for those interested:

Changelog (since 15 Jan 11):
Hybrid Adaptive Voltage Scaling (HAVS) with sysfs vdd interface working 100%
SVS sysfs interface file for VDD: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels
HAVS sysfs interface file for VDD: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels_havs
It’s mostly the same code, but for scripting purposes I named them different
Only one will appear, not both

Sped up lock screen on ALL, damn HTC and Android fdearlysuspend
Fixed some earlysuspend issues
Fixed some wakelock issues
Updated WiMax drivers, ooops, forgot that in the EVO-MR3 update
Fixed a findbit problem

Beta Kernel EVO BFS 21 Jan 11:
Downloads

Beta Kernel EVO BFS HAVS 21 Jan 11:
Downloads

Beta Kernel EVO CFS 21 Jan 11:
Downloads

Beta Kernel EVO CFS HAVS 21 Jan 11:
Downloads

Upvote 0
just installed a new kernel and its not going back my htc inc white screen =\ what do i do?

Power off. If you can't, pull the battery. Once the battery is back in, hold down Power and Vol-Down buttons together until you see the white bootloader screen.

From there, choose Recovery. This will boot into your recovery program. From here, you can try to reflash that kernel, flash another kernel, or flash a ROM (which comes with a kernel). If none of that works, better hope you have a recent NANDroid you can restore from. The restore is done by the recovery program as well.

Upvote 0
Power off. If you can't, pull the battery. Once the battery is back in, hold down Power and Vol-Down buttons together until you see the white bootloader screen.

From there, choose Recovery. This will boot into your recovery program. From here, you can try to reflash that kernel, flash another kernel, or flash a ROM (which comes with a kernel). If none of that works, better hope you have a recent NANDroid you can restore from. The restore is done by the recovery program as well.

got it up and moving again ty

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones