1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root MIUI now available for nook!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SolidOrange, Jul 11, 2011.

1. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I've never tried this on any of my phones, maybe I'll give it a shot on the NC just to see what/how it does.

3. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    I tried it. For two minutes...

Eye Candy =/= Functionality, CM7 smacks it down pretty hard.

IMO anyway...

gsutton likes this.
  4. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    I gotta ask - What is MUIU? is this kinda like a Moto-blur or Sense? Or a full ROM?

5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I've only studied it a little, but it appears to be a full ROM. (BTW, they are pronouncing it "My U I", until I just watched a video I was going for 'mooey'. :) )
    From the very little I've read, it seems that it does not use the standard market (might be a deal killer for me), and to install apps you have to save an APK file to the SD card and then install from that.
    I'm not sure if the thing would just turn in to a pile of melted plastic if one tried to flash GAPPS.
    Here's a link to the video I watched.
    MIUI Hidden Features [Video Included 6.30.11]

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I agree, the lack of Market is a deal breaker for me. I see no features worth updating from CM7.

7. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    It does have the normal market, it knew 'my apps' and all that good stuff.
    But I worked with the ROM for about 10 minutes and had 4 force closes, that's enough for me.
    Thank you CWM restore... :)

8. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC
    gave it a shot earlier today, regular market works fine. there are no softkeys built in, but you can download the softkey app to get them. i had a couple of FC's, but got rid of them by fixing permissions. I am back to CM 7.1.0 RC1 for now though as it just seems more polished. nice to know we have more options out there now, glad to see the NC getting some more dev love. i am sure future updates will iron out any kinks, MIUI.us has a great rep.

9. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I LOVE the softkeys built into CM7. :D

10. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    ^ what he said :)

That's a HUGE thing in my opinion. It's the difference between a functional device and one that is just barely usable. I don't like having to go 'home' when all I want to do is go 'back'.
    Softkeys takes up too much real estate on the screen for me to want to use it.

11. Jerry-rigged

None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    I just loaded CM7 last night - I see the soft keys on the screen, is there another shortcut to use for back?

12. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    In the bottom left hand corner of your screen (unless you've moved it, which is possible) there should be an arrow pointing to the left. That's the 'back' button.
    If it's not there go in to settings > cyanogenmod settings > Tablet tweaks > Choose soft button. Under there make sure the buttons you want are selected. *I* think that Home, Menu and Back are critical, the other two are personal preference (I don't use them).

Go to this thread http://androidforums.com/b-n-nookcolor/242117-post-your-nc-screens-2.html#post2852163 and look at any of the last several screen shots there, they all show the soft buttons in the bottom left.

Jerry-rigged likes this.
  13. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Corporate & Securties Attorney
    Wilmington, DE
    In addition to what MH says, you can also include the back button in your Power button menu. Go to Settings>CyanogenMod settings>Tablet tweaks and check Extend power menu, than go into Choose power menu buttons and check the ones you want included in the menu when you long-press the Power button. I checked Menu and Back, as a fail-safe measure if my status bar buttons go haywire. Home is there, as well, but I figure that's not needed, since you always have a hard button for home.

Jerry-rigged likes this.
  14. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thanks GLD, I'd forgotten that option.

For me there is a cringe factor involved when I MUST press the physical home button to get home (like on the stock ROM, or MIUI without Softbuttons or a comparable app). I figure there are only so many times your can push that button before it wears out. For that reason I prefer a soft button to go home rather than the physical button. Granted, the physical button should be good for thousands of uses, but I prefer to let it rest when possible.
    Of course, it could be that I'm just goofy...

gsutton likes this.
  15. Jerry-rigged

None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    Thanks ya'll.

Yes, I do have the soft buttons on the lower right. a few of my games remove them, though so I like the idea of adding back and menu to the power-long-press menu...

Jerry

16. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Jerry, check settings > cyanogenmod settings > tablet tweaks > disable fullscreen. I THINK if you'll check (select) that the games won't hide the soft buttons (unless of course you want them to do that).

17. michaelg1030

michaelg1030 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Not sure if you are all aware, nurse someone on xda has ported miui to the nook and it is awesome!

I suggest you all go over to xda and check it out. Miui on the nook I feel has really changed the tablet in to something far better. You can still use dalingerns oc kernal and dl nook tweaks from market, otherwise stock is 800mhz.

Only thing it lacks is the built in soft keys, but the Porter has included button Savior and it seems to do a very good job of solving the problem.

Anyone already using it? What are your thoughts? Oh yeah, I used miui on my phone and did not care for it, so don't use that as your basis for not trying it. Its a way better experience on the tablet.

18. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408

Tried it, and I thought it sucked to be honest. Very phone-centric. Eye candy =/= awesome.

IMHO anyways...

19. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Merged this with miui thread just days ago. :D

Again, the use of softkeys or similar apps is a big deal breaker for me. I refuse to even try any rom that requires that.

20. michaelg1030

None

Mar 26, 2011

Sorry for the duplicate post, not sure how I missed this thread.

But anyway, the button Savior works extremely well. Put it on an SD card and give it a try, what do you have to lose?

Because miui is much different from all other roms, you really need to give it a couple days to get used to using it.

Also, if you need an app drawer you can use LP, ADW, or whatever you like and you'll still have all the miui goodness.

I agree the settings and everything are more in line for phone use, but being an SS5.4 user for my phone, I was never to impressed with the optimization of cm7 and phiremod for the nook. If there was an SS build that was designed for the nook, I'd he extremely happy!

21. michaelg1030

None

Mar 26, 2011
    Oh yeah, Ill add that a new verision was released on Friday (yesterday).

Not sure what everyone is talking about how softkeys take up too much of the screen. Button Savior has a tiny toggle that's barely noticeable and as long as you have auto hide set, it works perfect. You actually gain screen by not having the bottom softkey bar always there likecm7

Also, curious to know what features you all are seeing lacking that CM7 has over Miui with the nook tweaks app and dalingerns oc kernal?

Sorry, but I really feel some are not giving a fair assessment of the rom. If you only used it for 2 min, than I don't think you can give a fair opinion of it.

22. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    I've tried it myself, and watched the videos of the (cell phone oriented) features. I don't see anything appealing about this ROM for the Nook. I see a bunch of graphical interface enhancements.

More graphics = more memory consumption + more CPU time x higher battery drain, generally speaking.

BTW, MIUI is CM7 at the core... ;)

And, also, CM7 is more than capable of hiding the status bar when an app requests it.

23. michaelg1030

None

Mar 26, 2011

The couple minutes of use you stated is not a fair assessment. I've been using it for over 48 hours now and battery life is on par with phiremod. I felt it actually performed smoother with stock kernal @ 800mhz than CM7 does @800mhz (I'm overclocked now though to 1200).

I feel these graphical enhancements work perfect for the nook. The larger icons look more appropriate on the nook screen, than the standard cm7 ui.

I have not seen any lose of features with miui, so that combined with the better (IMO) UI for the nook makes it a better choice to me.

I understand that it may not be for everyone becausr it is so different from the norm and I don't mind people giving opions, but if you are just going off some videos and a few minutes of actual use and than giving negative feedback, you are putting it off to others that may want to try it.

24. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408

Well thankfully I'm entitled to my opinion, and that opinion stands. Sorry if it only took me several minutes of use to realize it's nothing special.

If you like the bloated GUI and fancy menus, then good for you. I like simplicity and function, so CM7 wins.

side note: I crack up at the several comments I've read comparing MIUI to an iPad. The last thing I want my Android tab to resemble is an iDevice. Lol

25. michaelg1030

None

Mar 26, 2011

Fair enough, just wish you would have stated your opion like this in the first place than saying it sucks without any real explanation.