• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MIUI ROM] for Original DROID

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Tugdaturtle

Aug 4, 2010
Sense i seen a Thread that had a Link to were to get this rom i decided to actaully make a thread for this rom itsself orginal post link is here
Miui rom - Android Forums

I don’t really know where to start with this ROM, but it’s something that floated around Youtube for a few days and seems to have taken the ROM world by storm. MIUI is a Chinese ROM that was initially revealed on the Nexus One and was then quickly ported by US developers to every other device on the planet. It has a ton of features that would be nice to see on both stock Android and other custom ROMs even if it looks similar to the i*hone.
Almost every thing should work and if ROMs are super interesting to you, then I suggest that you check this out even for a few minutes. It’s running Android 2.2 and a Chevy kernel so you can overclock it.

Video:
YouTube - MIUI ROM for Original Motorola DROID

Screenshots i took :
Home Screen
snap20100928174927.png
snap20100928174922.png
snap20100928175113.png

Lock Screen:
snap20100928174932.png

Notifaction Bar:
snap20100928175133.png

Widgets and wallpapers:
snap20100928174957.png
snap20100928174945.png

Contacts and Phone:

snap20100928175128.png
snap20100928181105.png

Messaging:

snap20100928181330.png

Phone system info :

snap20100928175050.png
snap20100928175054.png

after i clicked Chinese one i went to this
snap20100928175101.png

Cool Radio App:
snap20100928175031.png

How Install The Rom :
1. Download the MIUI ROM to your Droid:
Zen_MIUI-v2.zip
2. Open ROM Manager and choose “Install ROM from SD Card.”
3. Choose the Zen_MIUI-v2.zip file you just downloaded.
4. When prompted, check BOTH boxes for making a backup and wiping data/cache.
5. Your phone will reboot, make a backup, wipe and install the MIUI ROM.
6. It should reboot if finished successfully. Enjoy your random ROM!

If you run into a dialer force close issue
check out this fix Simply flash the file in Clockwork just as you did with the ROM. No wipe necessary.

Source
Zen-Droid

Fixes :

OK guys, here it is: All known fixes for the Miui ROM in a single .zip
MIUI_AllFixesInOne.zip

TESTED AND WORKING PERFECTLY! Sorry it took a while, after messing with Miui ROM for 11 hours I needed to take a short break and jump in the shower. :)

I am going to make this a comprehensive post so people don't have to spend the hours I did combing through everything.

FIXES ADDRESSED WITH THE ABOVE .ZIP:
- Accounts and Sync issues
- Keyboard backlight
- Includes "stock" Miui MMS app
- Haptic feedback tweaks
- Call settings translated to English

Outstanding Issues (Not addressed by this .zip):
- Force close when dialing *228
- Force close in Settings menu when tapping on SD Card & Phone Storage settings
- Not all apps will restore in Market upon install (EASILY ADDRESSED BY MAKING SURE ALL APPS ARE INSTALLED BEFORE FLASHING THIS ROM)

NOOBS QUICK INSTALL GUIDE (For Zen Miui V2):
- Clear data/cache, flash ChevyNo1's SS4.8

- Tap green robot, login to google account, allow contacts and apps to restore (MAY TAKE A WHILE. BE PATIENT. Sometimes I find downloading a new app will jumpstart the app restoration process in the market.)

- Install above .zip on SD Card

- Boot into recovery, install ZenMuiuV2 - DO NOT WIPE DATA/CACHE

- After reboot ignore force closes, then go into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

- Tap ALL

- Locate Contact Storage, tap it, then tap Clear Data, then locate Google Services Framework, tap it, then tap clear data
(It also wouldn't hurt to open ROM Manager and tap Fix Permissions at this point)

- Turn off phone, boot into recovery

- Flash above .zip (MIUI_AllFixesInOne.zip)

- REBOOT - ALL DONE. Enjoy Miui ROM!

One more thing: If you have Root Explorer or equivalent, after doing this go into your /system/app folder and at the top you will see two similarly named files. One is AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and the other is AccountsAndSyncSettings.apk. The only one you need is the first one (singular Account, you don't need the one with the plural Accounts). The file name discrepancy is the reason there is a problem with account syncing on Miui. You can now delete the second file without causing any problems.

OK, I'm going to go take the dog for a much needed walk!

EDIT: I should make it CRYSTAL CLEAR, this ROM WILL NOT WORK if you wipe data/cache before installing it. If you install after wiping data/cache, for some reason the dialer constantly force closes. Everything else works but you can't make/receive phone calls... just follow the above instructions and you will get a 99% functional ROM.

Credit's go to publicanimal

Also if this does not help and you got more question's you can always go this link were there is a Sub Forum Solo based for this Rom i will continue to update the thread to the latest fixe's ect or patches when i find some so if i don't see any or haven't posted any send me a pm with the link ect thanks

Useful Links :
Zenulator

credits :
Credits/Hosting/Kangs:

Reactions: publicanimal
Installed earlier. Few random points.

-I wish the lockscreen still incorporated vibrate as well as the other functions
-Wish there were some built in scripts for ads, etc
-I can't seem to be able to change the wallpaper. I changed the lockscreen wallpaper but when I change my regular wallpaper nothing happens.
-I can't get the lockscreen to work properly with handcent. It will open handcent upon unlocking to messaging but the number of new messages does not go away until opening the stock messaging app.
-I really like how the lockscreen glows green when charging

Upvote 0
So far this ROM is one of the smoothest ones that I have encountered. I have everything working on it except for the new Google Search and Voice Search (won't update for some reason). I installed it over UD8, wiped the Contacts Storage & Google Services Framework to get the dialer to work. Really like the fact that you can have as many screens as you want. I think that I will be keeping this one for quite a while. I am getting ready to try the Galaxy theme posted above.

Upvote 0
I still can't get the Market to restore my apps. I've never been a TiBa user before. I'll give it a shot flashing over UD8 without wiping and see what happens!
Also, why is it still using the CM boot animation and RM thinks it's CM6? Anyone know about that?

Edit: Wow, that was a horrible idea! Couldn't get past all the FC's. Well, perhaps I'll give TiBa a try and try again with wiping.

Upvote 0
So far this ROM is one of the smoothest ones that I have encountered. I have everything working on it except for the new Google Search and Voice Search (won't update for some reason). I installed it over UD8, wiped the Contacts Storage & Google Services Framework to get the dialer to work. Really like the fact that you can have as many screens as you want. I think that I will be keeping this one for quite a while. I am getting ready to try the Galaxy theme posted above.

How do you wipe the contacts storage and google services framework for the dialer fix?

I went back to BB5 last night but want to give this another go with the galaxy theme. The stock launcher was a little sluggish but using launcher pro it's probably smoother/faster than BB5. It has some cool battery saving options, control bar in the notification panel, nice icons, and I love the lockscreen. I hope this dev continues working on this ROM, it's promising.

Also, does anything know the name of that chinese labeled app and what it does? It didn't seem to do anything when clicking on anything so I wanted to delete it but couldn't find it using root explorer.

Upvote 0
How do you wipe the contacts storage and google services framework for the dialer fix?

I went back to BB5 last night but want to give this another go with the galaxy theme. The stock launcher was a little sluggish but using launcher pro it's probably smoother/faster than BB5. It has some cool battery saving options, control bar in the notification panel, nice icons, and I love the lockscreen. I hope this dev continues working on this ROM, it's promising.

Also, does anything know the name of that chinese labeled app and what it does? It didn't seem to do anything when clicking on anything so I wanted to delete it but couldn't find it using root explorer.

1. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All Tab

2. Find Contacts Storage and select Clear Data

3. Find Google Services Framework and select Clear Data

See if that works, worked for most people that I have talked to.

Upvote 0
1. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All Tab

2. Find Contacts Storage and select Clear Data

3. Find Google Services Framework and select Clear Data

See if that works, worked for most people that I have talked to.

Did you wipe data/cache when installing the ROM or just installed over an existing ROM? Also, do I have to export my contacts to SD or anything?

Upvote 0
I installed this directly over BB.5 earlier today. Was getting a lot of force closes, but as Caveman said, just going into the apps manager and clearing the data/cache of some key apps (contact storage, market, and google framework) got it working fine.

The only issue I have now, and I haven't seen anyone else with the same, is that i can't seem to change the contact pictures for my contacts. When i open a picture and click "set as contact" it spins for a while then force closes on me. not sure why.

Also, using the stock launcher WHICH IS AWESOME you can't add shortcuts. I like to have shortcuts for only a few contacts.

Oh well, learning to live....

Upvote 0
Alright.

SO. I restore my UD 8 backup and install MiUI on top of it without wiping. After loading it up I ran fix permissions, and cleared the data from contact storage and google framework and that has fixed the forcecloses.

The other issues (verizon wireless not displayed, keyboard not lighting up) theres a zip update on droidforums to flash. Also, a working version of the stock texting app is available on Zen's dev section.

Just finished flashing manups galaxy s that was ported for MiUI also.

It's a work in progress to work out of the box, but if you take the time to work out the kinks the ROM is incredible. The lockscreen is ridiculous, phone app is insane, text app is awesome. Notification pulldown is awesome. The battery saving options are great and the battery display options are slick.

The stock launcher is a little slow for my tastes and it's a hassle to add shortcuts/widgets so I am using ADWLauncher that's included and it FLIES. This ROM is FAST.

I can't wait/hope this ROM gets further development or other devs borrow some features. (LOCKSCREEN, HINT HINT)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones