• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MIUI ROM] for Original DROID

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
I followed all the steps mentioned to get rid off the FC's and nothing has worked. I also tried ROM Manager fix permissions and nothing.I cant get Skype to work (issue for me since i make international calls) there is still some Chinese letters around, no big deal. I really really like the lock screen hopefully UD9 would customize to this. I'm concern with the battery life it could be better (I was using "low settings" low brightness, GPS off, WiFi off etc..)
For now, I am going back to UD8 hopefully this will turn into a great ROM later on.

good luck guys! :)

Upvote 0
so far it's pretty smooth. the launcher would be interesting but it is laggy. would like to see more of it but using launcher pro and I'd working good. wasn't able to test everything out yet but I like it. it's not better our worse but different and that is the part I like the most. running chevy's 1.1ulv and it gets real hour some times. floats around 110-125 most of the times and has 136 but set cpu is clocked to 1.0. anyone else tried different kernels. just need to find the right one so I could get better battery.

Upvote 0
so far it's pretty smooth. the launcher would be interesting but it is laggy. would like to see more of it but using launcher pro and I'd working good. wasn't able to test everything out yet but I like it. it's not better our worse but different and that is the part I like the most. running chevy's 1.1ulv and it gets real hour some times. floats around 110-125 most of the times and has 136 but set cpu is clocked to 1.0. anyone else tried different kernels. just need to find the right one so I could get better battery.

I'm using slayhers v 1.6 1ghz kernel. It's been as high as 98 with some heavy use. I don't think I've seen it go over 100. But it does seem to heat up faster than some of the more polished ROMs. Haven't really tested battery life yet. It seems fine but I'll pay attention to it today.

The stock launcher was sluggish for me also, the included ADW is really fast though.

Upvote 0
I flashed this. It looks cool and definitely very different but there were so many problems for me: force closes (even after clearing caches), a lot of lag, etc. I was able to find remedies for a few of the small problems but overall it's not worth it. I think there are some parts of this that are very attractive - the lock screen for example (which disappeared altogether for some reason...). But it's way too buggy for me.

Upvote 0
I flashed this. It looks cool and definitely very different but there were so many problems for me: force closes (even after clearing caches), a lot of lag, etc. I was able to find remedies for a few of the small problems but overall it's not worth it. I think there are some parts of this that are very attractive - the lock screen for example (which disappeared altogether for some reason...). But it's way too buggy for me.

Hang tight...Bgill55 is on fire at droidforums.net fixing things left and right. I bet in another couple of days this thing will be tight...He is already on a version 11 just fixing bugs. Check it out.

Upvote 0
OK guys, here it is: All known fixes for the Miui ROM in a single .zip
MIUI_AllFixesInOne.zip

TESTED AND WORKING PERFECTLY! Sorry it took a while, after messing with Miui ROM for 11 hours I needed to take a short break and jump in the shower. :)

I am going to make this a comprehensive post so people don't have to spend the hours I did combing through everything.

FIXES ADDRESSED WITH THE ABOVE .ZIP:
- Accounts and Sync issues
- Keyboard backlight
- Includes "stock" Miui MMS app
- Haptic feedback tweaks
- Call settings translated to English

Outstanding Issues (Not addressed by this .zip):
- Force close when dialing *228
- Force close in Settings menu when tapping on SD Card & Phone Storage settings
- Not all apps will restore in Market upon install (EASILY ADDRESSED BY MAKING SURE ALL APPS ARE INSTALLED BEFORE FLASHING THIS ROM)

NOOBS QUICK INSTALL GUIDE (For Zen Miui V2):
- Clear data/cache, flash ChevyNo1's SS4.8

- Tap green robot, login to google account, allow contacts and apps to restore (MAY TAKE A WHILE. BE PATIENT. Sometimes I find downloading a new app will jumpstart the app restoration process in the market.)

- Install above .zip on SD Card

- Boot into recovery, install ZenMuiuV2 - DO NOT WIPE DATA/CACHE

- After reboot ignore force closes, then go into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

- Tap ALL

- Locate Contact Storage, tap it, then tap Clear Data, then locate Google Services Framework, tap it, then tap clear data
(It also wouldn't hurt to open ROM Manager and tap Fix Permissions at this point)

- Turn off phone, boot into recovery

- Flash above .zip (MIUI_AllFixesInOne.zip)

- REBOOT - ALL DONE. Enjoy Miui ROM!

One more thing: If you have Root Explorer or equivalent, after doing this go into your /system/app folder and at the top you will see two similarly named files. One is AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and the other is AccountsAndSyncSettings.apk. The only one you need is the first one (singular Account, you don't need the one with the plural Accounts). The file name discrepancy is the reason there is a problem with account syncing on Miui. You can now delete the second file without causing any problems.

OK, I'm going to go take the dog for a much needed walk!

EDIT: I should make it CRYSTAL CLEAR, this ROM WILL NOT WORK if you wipe data/cache before installing it. If you install after wiping data/cache, for some reason the dialer constantly force closes. Everything else works but you can't make/receive phone calls... just follow the above instructions and you will get a 99% functional ROM.

Upvote 0
If you follow the install guide I posted above, the ROM works fine except for the mentioned outstanding issues. I haven't tried the FM radio yet, but it uses headphones as the antenna, it doesn't "activate"any internal radio antenna as there is none.

EDIT: I tried the FM Radio app with headphones/bluetooth and no, it didn't work. I'm proud to say that the .zip I created and linked to above has become an "official" update for the Droid version of this ROM. Not sure how long that will last as a new Chinese version for Nexus One was just released within the last couple hours.

Upvote 0
Here are some more Miui screen captures for you guys to check out. Note the transparent notification bar.
miui01.jpg
miui02.jpg

miui03.jpg
miui04.jpg

miui05.jpg
miui06.jpg

miui07.jpg
miui08.jpg

miui09.jpg
miui10.jpg

miui11.jpg
miui12.jpg

miui13.jpg
miui14.jpg

miui15.jpg

Upvote 0
Here are some more Miui screen captures for you guys to check out. Note the transparent notification bar.

I experienced a few diff issues that, while not many, made this temporarily unusable for me until I have time to sit down with it and get it right.

In one screenshot you've got Weather Widget working for ya, as where that was one of my main issues. It wasn't even attempting to work for me (I get the default, Location: N/A and 32 degrees).

I was having issues changing wallpaper. Didn't really want to work for me at first, but was finally able to change it.

I didn't have time to properly acclimate myself to the stock launcher, so I just used LauncherPro. When I would press my app drawer, I would scroll down, but as soon as I touched an app, the entire drawer reset to the top. It only happened when I touched an app, as touching a blank space did nothing.

There was def some lag going on, but when there wasn't, it was buttery smooth. I understood there was going to be issues, but I just had to give her a go. I really hope that the dev (or whomever's porting this) gets the bugs ironed out b/c this has so much potential. For the Droid, this really is a game changer.

Upvote 0
I didn't have time to properly acclimate myself to the stock launcher, so I just used LauncherPro. When I would press my app drawer, I would scroll down, but as soon as I touched an app, the entire drawer reset to the top. It only happened when I touched an app, as touching a blank space did nothing.

I had the same problem but it was actually a problem with Launcher Pro and the 3D drawer. Uncheck 3D drawer and it works, LP even mentions that the 3D is experimental and can cause problems. I did switch to the stock launcher though just to utilize the stock features of the ROM to get a good feel for it.

Upvote 0
I experienced a few diff issues that, while not many, made this temporarily unusable for me until I have time to sit down with it and get it right.

In one screenshot you've got Weather Widget working for ya, as where that was one of my main issues. It wasn't even attempting to work for me (I get the default, Location: N/A and 32 degrees).

I was having issues changing wallpaper. Didn't really want to work for me at first, but was finally able to change it.

There was def some lag going on, but when there wasn't, it was buttery smooth. I understood there was going to be issues, but I just had to give her a go. I really hope that the dev (or whomever's porting this) gets the bugs ironed out b/c this has so much potential. For the Droid, this really is a game changer.

I spent hours and hours following what was going on with this ROM at droidforums.net where the files were originally posted. That thread is something like 90-100 pages long at this point, it was A LOT of reading. The issue with locations seemed to affect those who either did a full data/cache wipe before installing, or didn't come from SS4.8. Pretty quickly a consensus was formed over there that things work best if you install over SS4.8.

Ideally you want all your contacts synced, all your apps restored, and locations working on SS4.8 before you install Miui on top of it. If you do it that way, locations should work fine.

Personally I managed to get locations working on the install I did after doing a full data/cache wipe, but the dialer didn't work so I had to abandon that install and go the route of installing over SS4.8. I got locations to work on that install by restoring my data for the weather widget (Fancy Widget) from a backup I did in Titanium Backup. Once I did that, almost magically locations worked across the ROM.

So if you're stuck with an install that is fully functional except for locations and you have some data backed up for any of your locations based widgets/apps in Titanium Backup, if you restore data from one of those, that might do the trick.

Miui is a ROM that hasn't even entered beta, and was intended for the Nexus One and ported to the Droid. So it's a given that there are going to be some hiccups. If you follow the install guide I wrote above (which has become the "official" install guide for this ROM over at droidforums.net) you will get as close to a fully functional ROM as can be expected. There are just a few minor issues remaining.

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
Publicanimal,

I've completely lost track of that thread on droidforums.net...lol. The only issue I have had is that when I update/install/uninstall any app, whether manually in terminal or in the market, I get a soft reboot and sometimes the uninstall/install doesn't work.

Have you heard of this occurring?

Upvote 0
Publicanimal,

I've completely lost track of that thread on droidforums.net...lol. The only issue I have had is that when I update/install/uninstall any app, whether manually in terminal or in the market, I get a soft reboot and sometimes the uninstall/install doesn't work.

Have you heard of this occurring?

Nope... that sounds like a novel issue you've got on your hands :)

I can try to troubleshoot a bit:

Did you change the kernel? It's also possible the kernel bundled with the ROM (Chevy's LV 1.1 GHz) isn't agreeing with your phone, but it hasn't been an issue for most that I understand. I installed Chevy's ULV 1.2 GHz as that has become my kernel of choice in the last couple weeks.

Did you install over SS4.8? As I said above that seems to be the most problem free installation route.

You might try doing a cache wipe... that might actually be your best bet. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Nope... that sounds like a novel issue you've got on your hands :)

I can try to troubleshoot a bit:

Did you change the kernel? It's also possible the kernel bundled with the ROM (Chevy's LV 1.1 GHz) isn't agreeing with your phone, but it hasn't been an issue for most that I understand. I installed Chevy's ULV 1.2 GHz as that has become my kernel of choice in the last couple weeks.

Did you install over SS4.8? As I said above that seems to be the most problem free installation route.

You might try doing a cache wipe... that might actually be your best bet. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll try the cache wipe first when I get off work.

No, I installed over UD 8. I saw that SS 4.8 is the ROM of choice but that others worked so I just did it over what I was running. No issues with locations or anything else (got all the tweaks worked out with the updates). Chevy's kernels never work for me under moderate loads, I always get reboots so I switched to my go-to slayher kernel right away.

I had to restore a back up because all the soft boots were so frustrating.

Definitely looking forward to further development of this ROM.

Upvote 0
Well i installed this rom after doing a Data/Wipe and it ransmoothlessly but the only the i had a issue with was my contacts would FC but i used the fix and it ran fine ... but before i could even install the fix i ran into some trouble with my sd card for some odd reason .

I get this
E:can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0 also can't mount sd card

It does that like 3 or 4 times before it actually even works
and i have no clue what to do to fix it and tbh im scared lol idk maybe its me but i don'twanna brick the phone because i am a noob at roms .

So if you got some Easy Noob Instructions on how to do this i appreciate this

Upvote 0
Well i installed this rom after doing a Data/Wipe and it ransmoothlessly but the only the i had a issue with was my contacts would FC but i used the fix and it ran fine ... but before i could even install the fix i ran into some trouble with my sd card for some odd reason .

I get this
E:can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0 also can't mount sd card

It does that like 3 or 4 times before it actually even works
and i have no clue what to do to fix it and tbh im scared lol idk maybe its me but i don't brick it .

So if you got some Easy Noob Instructions on how to do this i appreciate this

Well the fix you're talking about just installs different versions of the Phone.apk and the Contacts.apk. It installs the files from a Bugless Beast theme over this ROM, but the guide I wrote enables the original Miui apks to work. If you don't care and just want it to work, your fix will work fine, but with such an exotic ROM I figure most people will want the whole enchilada.

(EDIT: Note how my phone/contacts look in the screenshots I posted above. Yours don't look like that anymore, right?)

As far as the error you're getting, I get a similar error on a regular basis. Clockworkmod Recovery is extremely finicky and can't mount the SD card with any reasonable level of consistency. I usually do my installs by manually booting into recovery, and sometimes I will get that error 5 times in a row, but on the 6th try it works.

There is a remedy that seems to help the issue, but never fix it. If you go into ROM manager, tap the menu button and clear your download cache (this will delete all downloads in the clockworkmod folder of your SD card, move anything you might want to keep). Then flash alternate recovery, then flash back to Clockworkmod Recovery. That might help, or it might not. It's nothing to be scared of though, and it EVENTUALLY will work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones