1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root MIUI Rom - Please point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RootyUK, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RootyUK

RootyUK Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    I think its time for me to leave InsertCoin even though it has been an awesome ROM.

Basically I am liking the look of the MIUI ROM's and came across this:
    Ready for the coolest MIUI ever? (So far…). New UI refresh. First Screenshots rascarlo

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get this?

I also have a A2SD (512mb) partition, will this be ok?

Have tried searching this forum but keep getting redirected to google search results which are a little confusing.

Cheers in advance

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    That's a pretty old article.

The most popular MIUI around here is MIUI-XJ. Visit the desire android development forum at XDA, the thread is usually on the first page of that forum.

It is a nice ROM.

4. RootyUK

RootyUK Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    downloaded ROM, says its only 82MB is this correct? seems a little small compared to other ROM's

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Sounds about right to me. CM7 is slightly larger, Oxygen or Redux smaller. Sense ROMs will be bigger of course.

6. RootyUK

RootyUK Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    ok thanks, will try this ROM now. done a NAND just to be safe

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Always a good idea to do that before flashing.

8. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    funny I was thinking of doing maybe much the same thing, but I wanted to know if its 100% stable compared to say Gingerbread 2.8

as in, is camera fully functional with all features etc including high res video and all that guff and that there aren't any other problems in any other part of the rom.

9. RootyUK

RootyUK Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Installed it earlier. If im honest it wasnt quite what I expected, I think I needed to have researched into the ROM first. I did find it fast as hell but for me I would have prefered to have an app drawer and have widgets on my home screens rather than just app icons. I also liked the weather app in that version of MIUI that i posted at the top but couldnt find it in the one i downloaded. Also I quite miss the vibration when writing a text message, its easier for me to type this way.

Unfortunately I flashed InsertCoin again because of this, I really should of looked at the ROM more before i flashed. My Bad!!

10. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Well you can add widgets to the homescreens.

As for the lack of app drawer, personally I don't like the Miui launcher, so when I'm using that ROM (I am this evening in fact) I use Go Launcher or Launcher Pro - problem solved. :)

11. RootyUK

RootyUK Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    is there a way to have vibration when typing? i thought i found the option for it but it didnt do anything

12. jayroller

jayroller Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    Male
    South of Heaven
    It's a known issue, no haptic feedback when typing. However, if you install the HTC IME keyboard (it's in the first post of XJ's thread) then voila - a little buzz with each keypress. ;)

13. RootyUK

RootyUK Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    awesome. cheers dude

14. deanshep85

None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    well other than no app drawer or haptic feedback with keyboard (which doesn't bother me as I turn it off) is there any other bugs/issues?

15. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The menu layouts are very different. Stuff is there, just not layed-out in the same way.

It's the usual story really: there are a couple of things I do which take slightly longer (but maybe there are quicker ways for some that I've not found yet). Conversely there are a couple of things that seem more sensible. When you get used to one way of working, you need to give a different one a little time to make a fair comparison.

I've not found any outright bugs yet, though I've not used it for very long. But it does depend what you use - I'd never have discovered the lack of haptic feedback on the keyboard, for example, as that's one of the first things I turn off.

Installing the dark theme was essential for me (though it's not as black as I'm used to).

16. deanshep85

None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    question though...is mui basicaly a new look that doesnt say add anything major changing? cos i never use lockscreens and always use poweramp for musoc so theres two big thing i wont use...same with using gosms as well..so not fully sure if i will bother.

17. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I'm using it just for a change at the moment, so it's a little early for me to give a final verdict. Best will be to hear from some of the longer-term users (Ginga, where are you?).

So far it's mainly a different look and feel. It's a very comprehensive reworking, with its own versions of all of the built-in apps, a theme engine at the centre of the UI, and a couple of little bells and whistles. Like you I don't use all of the built-in apps (another PowerAmp user, for example), and I also don't use the MIUI Launcher (took me about a minute to decide that wasn't for me).

Whether it's worth it depends on what matters to you. To pick a few things off the top of my head: the camera app has 1 big functional advantage over CM7, in that you can use touch focus and simple autofocus without having to switch between modes in the menu (and wait for the touch to start working), though you can install early versions of this camera in other AOSP ROMs. The notification power widget being at the bottom of the pull-down is more convenient for one-handed use. It has a "flip to silence ringer" option built in. Overnight power use (on a single measurement!) was slightly better than the 2.3.5 CM7 nightlies have been. Can use the torch from the lockscreen by pressing the home button. Auto-brightness jumps around even more than CM7, but can be tuned (very similar interface to CM for that). Switching between 2G and 2G/3G modes (if you do that) is longer-winded (no separate button for that in the power widget). If you use the theme manager to set wallpapers you can only select those Miui knows about (but if you've set one the standard way, when running Go Launcher or LP, Miui then knows about that one too). The menu layout is simply different. Many themes available, and the theme engine lets you mix and match bits of them.

Sorry that's a bit jumbled, but after a day of use those are the things that come to mind immediately.

GingaB likes this.
  18. GingaB

GingaB Android Expert
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    London, UK
    Thanks Hadron Ill add few more cool features on MIUI

As Hadron pointed out there are many themes available on MIUI. Best place to look is here:
    http://forums.miuiandroid.com/forumdisplay.php?31-Theme-Releases

"Extended setting mod" found on MIUIandroid gives you option to centre clock, hide clock, hide battery, change date formats in lockscreen/pulldown notification, disable wallpaper scrolling and many more! You just simply flash the mod via recovery:
    http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showthread.php?7738-MOD-Extended-Settings-Menu-Options

There is another launcher mod which basically removes the dock bar completely and autocloses folders as soon you finished with an app. Again you flash it via recovery:
    http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showthread.php?9029-Launcher-MOD

Long press on the icon in "Toggles" launches the settings for that icon.

Built in screen capture... press the “Menu” key and “Volume Down” key at the same time to capture a screenshot. The printed image is saved in the “MIUI" directory in the "SD card"

Pressing the "Home" button will show you all the screen thumbnails. You can also add/remove screens from here.

In the lockscreen, double tap the time zone to launch the Music Player. (The Music Player is hidden by default, unless a song is playing)

Music app downloads the lyrics and Album art. Very cool but they arent consistant. Work in progress though!

There is a cool mod for music which allows you to skip tracks whilst the screen is off. You just use volume buttons to skip either forward or backward. Just like any other mods you flash it via recovery
    http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showthread.php?7356-MOD-Skip-track-via-volume-press

In the Calls, SMS or Contacts app, tap the contact image and a shortcut menus will appear.

The default battery UI can be switched to display percentage of left battery capacity. To do so, go to “Settings / System / Battery Settings / Battery Indicator Style / Percentage“ If you add extended mod you can hide the battery from here aswell.

There is a built in "blacklist" feature for calls/sms called "DND mode" You can block and unblock calls/sms this works very well on MIUI.

19. deanshep85

None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    well as I have most of those features with GV 2.8 and use GO Launcher with a Sense theme...I think I will pass on it for now..

now once Miui starts dispensing tea and biscuits...then maybe..just maybe :D

cheers Hadron and Ginga for the info anyway :)

20. deanshep85

None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    *gasp!*

MIUI somehow found its way onto my phone while sleeping...that crafty lil devil :D

21. eckndu

eckndu Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    i was reading the desire's how-to on miui.com, and it says i need to flash/update a desire_radio.zip.
    is this going to flash my baseband? should't we leave the radio alone?

22. eckndu

eckndu Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    haha, just put on my first rom, miui, it feels like iv got a new phone.
    anyway thanks for all the howto and faq, SUroot

23. deanshep85

None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    damn....was I supposed to flash a new radio?

I haven't put a new radio since I installed an official HTC RUU about 7 months or more ago....maybe longer.

24. eckndu

eckndu Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    i did not run that desire_radio.zip

and one thing i noticed is that there is no "all app" drawer. everything is on the "desktop" Don't know if it is a 2.3's thing or a MIUI thing

25. jayroller

jayroller Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    Male
    South of Heaven
    1) Nah, no need to flash a new radio, unless you really want to! :D

2) That's the thing with MIUI, there is no app draw - but you can use folders to tidy your icons away, if you feel the need.

Tags: