1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MIUI Roms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MusicJunkie, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MusicJunkie

MusicJunkie Android Expert

I was just perusing YouTube and saw a ROM for the EVO 4G. It was MIUI and it looked rather iPhone-ish. What exactly is MIUI? I'm assuming it's different from ASOP and SENSE (clearly). There was no download in the YouTube description and even if there were I didn't want to try and flash something that I had no idea about. If you could just inform this novice I would be so happy! Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. geewhiz

geewhiz Well-Known Member

MIUI is absolutely an AOSP Rom. However it is closed source code developed in China. I-phonish, yes.

Just to add. I just flashed the runnymede sense 3.5 after waiting months for it to mature. I'm loving it....

ocnbrze and MusicJunkie like this.
  3. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

MusicJunkie likes this.
  4. MusicJunkie

Ok cool, I'm seeing it ported to the Evo 4G. I can't really find anything about it in the forums. I need to probably search better, lol.

5. geewhiz

geewhiz Well-Known Member

You are correct. Since it is a port from where it is coming from, there is no 4G and from what I've read there will never be 4G

6. MusicJunkie

7. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

MIUI is Based on CM.

China does not have 4G so MIUI will not support 4g. It was written as an Alternative to the iPhone as in china the iPhone is extremely expensive so this way they could have "iPhone Knock offs" with out the cost.

8. MusicJunkie

For this ROM do I just flash it like normal? or is there something special I have to do first?

9. MusicJunkie

Also, there is a kernel built into the zip correct? I sound scared don't I? lol

10. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

You sound curious and excited and cautious. good ways to sound!

The roms do include their own kernel.

better safe than sorry, ask away!

11. MusicJunkie

thank you! I'm about to flash this rom as soon as my friend stops texting me -_- lol

dustwun77 likes this.
  12. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

Nandroid Nandroid Nandroid.....Just saying. I think you need to flash gapps also.

13. MusicJunkie

Oh always, I have a Nandroid of my current ROM and custom kernel ready to go just in case lol

14. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

And just an FYI, every ROM you flash will include a kernel. Its usually just the stock HTC kernel though. You just reflash the custom one after if you still want that on there.

15. MusicJunkie

I had a feeling. I also have a question, what is the best kernel with this ROM where people have gotten like almost a day of battery off one charge?

16. parkerskouson

parkerskouson Android Enthusiast

just to put this out there. i LOVEE this rom. i have always keps going back to it. amazingly stable. the one thing i cant stand is no 4g. i doubt it is going to happen cause theres no 4g in china, no point. i have had best results with Tiamat, pushing 2 days at one point with moderate usage

17. MusicJunkie

maybe I didn't give enough time but the ROM was acting really poop-like for me. the battery actually drained fast as crap. That might be because I haven't fully charged and discharged it, but even when I flashed other ROMs the battery never did that. It was lagging also and MMS actually took forever to send. I like it but those were some problems I faced.

18. pandacookie

pandacookie Panda-riffic!

How long did you use the ROM for? Also, someone mentioned earlier that you need to flash gapps. I never flashed gapps when I've used MIUI. MIUI comes with Market, so I just downloaded what I need and it ran fine. Some people will say I'm crazy for doing it that way, but oh well. Call me crazy.

19. MusicJunkie

A few hours lol I'm impatient when it comes to some things. I didn't flash them either as I too saw Market and felt that I could just dl them from there. For me if the ROM is laggy off gate (after loading everything of course) then I get rid of it.

20. pandacookie

pandacookie Panda-riffic!

See I usually ran MIUI for days at a time. I never found it to be laggy using Tiamat, but that's just me.

21. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Android Enthusiast

I actually love MIUI, and usually have a nandroid of the latest version. It may look a little iPhone-y at first, but the built in theme engine lets you customize it so much, you can make it completely your own in no time. Just take a look at some of what folks do here. So, a few things:

Which version did you download? The OP of the xda thread is not updated anymore (OP left the Evo). The latest can always be found at miui.us (so for the Evo right now the latest is 1.12.9). (and so there is no confusion on the many sites: Miuiandroid.com are the British ports, and miui.com is the official Chinese version).

So, I found 1.12.9 to be smooth. But that's after a few things:

First, you want to let it settle just like you would for a Sense flash. I also usually flash the latest gapps during my initial flash so I have VVM and all the rest ready to go.

Second, the built-in kernel is absolute crap. Like for most AOSP ROMs, I flash the Tiamat 3.3.7 kernel. (I just tried the 4.1.0 this week, but within a few hours had some wonkiness and random restarts -- went back to 3.3.7, and it's been rock-solid and smooth).

Third, there is an awesome new addition called "extended settings" that can be found here at this link. It adds, among other things, the ability for scrollable widgets and an app drawer (pulled down from just below the notifications). You flash the zip and install the apk listed there to get it to work. There isn't a specific Evo version, just make sure the version matches up with your MIUI version (so I used the 1.12.9 this week). Also, since this is created by another user independent of the MIUI guys, nandroid before flashing it just in case.

Finally, regarding 4G: like most said, it's never going to happen for the Evo. MIUI is closed-source and created in China where WiMAX doesn't exist, so they have no reason to worry about it. (Our version is a port of their Nexus One version of MIUI -- the folks at miui.us port it over and translate it for us).

And also, there's a user over at xda named HipKat who is most active in the Evo MIUI thread, so you may want to look at his flashing guide.

(Oh, and one more thing: like with most ROMs, in my experience the majority of user complaints about issues with MIUI come from people trying to get away without a full wipe between versions -- I rarely have any issues with this ROM).

Hope that helps. :)

dustwun77, MusicJunkie and takirb like this.
  22. sundown13x

sundown13x Well-Known Member

im trying to root/unroot a MIUI evo a friend of mine got from ebay. the phone was rooted with a MIUI rom but S-lock is ON. Im trying to find out how to bring it back to factory settings (stock rom). the recovery tool doesnt seem to work (locks up when i go into it). I have tried flashing another recovery but it locks up when i got into it again. Are these MIUI roms just like any other rom... they are installed the same way correct? Im just trying to figure out how to fix the phone... it doesnt wanna do a profile update so it cant be activated. The rom is cool looking but im a sence kind of guy... anyway any help would be great.

also the phone has HBOOT 6.17.0001 not sure if thats a problem or not... everything else is normal like my evo...(6.16)

23. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Android Enthusiast

Responded to your other thread.

24. MusicJunkie

JustSomeDude, I got the latest version from this site goo-inside.me - supersonic downloads but I see two. I downloaded the biggest of the two files. I just want to be sure. I don't want to flash something that would brick my phone.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews