1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root MIUI vs MikG first ROM questions?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shantytownbrown, Jan 13, 2012.

1. shantytownbrown

shantytownbrown Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Medicine
    Connecticut
    So after much browsing, I think i am down to deciding between these two as my first ROM...one Sense based and one AOSP...

hoping to get some guidance here....(please dumb down any discussions as i am not too tech saavy...)

I asked this in another thread i started that i myself hijacked so wanted to move the conversation to a new thread...

remember this is my fisrt ROM...

1. if i go with MIUI-(wary of the lack of 4g-no biggie in my area)
    a. which version
    b. what kernels should i bring along
    c. any other tweaks i should do before/after flashing?

2. if i go with MiKg
    same questions

I really am shooting for better/best battery life, the ability to do something i am not allowed to talk about here anymore, and to unbloat my phone...

thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    I would go with mikg 3.0 with the anthrax kernel or the the stock kernel. Always had pretty good luck with stock. I would also partition my sd card prior to flashing if I was you

MusicJunkie, Rxpert83 and NaterTots like this.
  3. NaterTots

NaterTots Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Plumber
    CT
    +1 to that. You really can't go wrong with it. Makes me wonder why I waited 4 months after rooting and flashing a bunch before I tried Mik.

For Kernels with it I would also try the Freedom line. Start with Stock, Less, More, then aggressive.

They each undervolt to a different extent with Stock being stock and aggressive being -175mv. The most extreme.

4. shantytownbrown

None

Jul 25, 2010
    Medicine
    Connecticut
    Thanks all,but I am someone who needs the why when making a descision, so why? Mik rom? Why one kernel over the otjer, why go more aghressive, teach me the tr
    ems, I want to learn.

5. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    I agree. I would go with MikG 3.0 as well. It is very stable. It includes Sense 2.1(with 3.0 elements) that was not slated to get to our phones at all. The additional tweaks that are now included make it very customizable. There are a number of great themes out there for it to change the coloration and look of your phone.

Kernels work differently on each phone. What works for mine might not work so well on your's. The difference in the kernels as far as stock, less, more, and aggressive is the amount they "undervolt" the cpu. It saves battery by restricting the amount of voltage the cpu has to use. You have to try different ones to find the one that works with your phone and gives you the best battery life.

I have been using the stock kernel on Mik roms since version 2.4 and get pretty good battery life(lasts me all day unless my son decides he wants to play angry birds for a couple hours :) ).

MusicJunkie and NaterTots like this.
  6. NaterTots

NaterTots Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Plumber
    CT
    MikG 3.0 because it's incredibly stable. (I've never had a random reboot) Has a lot of extras that Sprint and HTC would never send us.

For the Kernels Freedom has 4 in his line. You always want the Universal ones.

Stock = Based off of the HTC stock Kernel.
    Less = Undervolted by -75mv
    More = Undervolted by -125mv
    Aggressive = Undervolted by -175mv

Some phones work well with undervolting and some don't. That is why I would start with the stock one first and run it for a couple of days before changing it. So it can settle.

With the Chop Suey or Golden Monkey Kernel I don't know the specifics on their undervolting characteristics if they have any.

You can look for the Developer threads on XDA for each of them to gain a better understanding of what they each do.

I've never used MIUI so I can't say one way or the other on using it. I know you don't get 4G with it though.

Naters

MusicJunkie and andygu3 like this.
  7. takirb

takirb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Systems Analyst/Network Admin
    S. Carolina
    I've used both, and though i do love MIUI, i still think MikG's 3.0 runs smoother over time. Though I've had a random reboot or 2 on MikG's 3.0, I can't say that was/wasn't due to resource intensive actions i was doing on the phone at the time. You can't go wrong with either, both are very well built ROMs and highly suggest you try them both (just to see what a beefed up Sense ROM and a non-Sense ROM is like).

MIUI
    I used tiamat 3.3.7 with SBC, awesome battery life
    Flash the GPS Drivers fix for AOSP ROM's to get your GPS to work correctly
    I used version 1.8 or 8.1 or something? Not sure, they release versions almost daily i believe.

MikG
    The stock kernel was nice, but i switched to Freedom More
    No other tweaks necessary, there's several to choose from in his settings. Themes are available if you prefer as stated above

8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Go with MikG. It i still the standard for speed and reliability that other ROMS get compared to.

As for kernels, I would start with the aggressive freedom and work your way up. The reason I say start with aggressive is because it has the most undervolting, and with the most undervolting should come the best battery life.

So flash that, and if your phone has random bootloops or is sluggish you switch to more freedom, which will give your phone a little more juice.

Each phone handles undervolting differently. Mine has no problems with Aggressive, while my fathers can only handle more.

NaterTots likes this.
  9. shantytownbrown

None

Jul 25, 2010
    Medicine
    Connecticut
    two things:

1. i dont have 4 g in my home area, but do in my work area, its not that important to me...

unless..the fact that 4G eats my battery goes away with the underclocking..then i may consider it, but 4 g is overall not even that strong where i am in southern connecticut..only comes to play if i visit NYC...(which is not that often)...

2. if i do try one, and want to switch to try the other, is it easy enough to switch, and can you point me to the process??? in "dummy talk" please!!

thanks

shanty

10. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    You can switch back and forth however many times you want. Thats the beauty of being rooted.

Instructions on flashing can be found in the rooting for dummies guide

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

11. Frogbone

Frogbone Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Engineer
    Minnesota
    I am surprised I don't see more people talk about or recommend the Synergy RC2 ROM.

I have been running this since last summer and never had any issues at all. Just last week I flashed the Chop Suey kernel, reset battery stats and my battery life doubled and my phone runs very very smooth.

12. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    With the development of Synergy essentially stopped and with aamikam's MikG 3.0 still being developed, more individuals recommend using MikG. With the added tweaks in MikG, that's something Synergy does not have. More ways to customize the phone within the rom;)

ocnbrze and Frogbone like this.
  13. shantytownbrown

None

Jul 25, 2010
    Medicine
    Connecticut
    re:MIUI

define: "SBC" (edit: never mind i found it in "kernels for dummies --thats me!!)

where to get: "GPS Driver fix for AOSP ROM's"

thanks again everyone

really need a sticky for a "glossary" of terms for us non techies..;)

14. Frogbone

Frogbone Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Engineer
    Minnesota
    I guess I don't flash ROM's often enough ;-)

Maybe I should give MikG a try. Always seems so much work getting everything setup again after flashing :(

15. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    takirb, shantytownbrown and Rxpert83 like this.
Tags: