• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I would urge you against bothering our kind devs with such a trivial project. You may prefer miui over CM7 but the simple fact is it would be a fruitless endeavor. Please stop creating multiple posts
Keep your discussion of miui out of the cm7 thread. The small amount of devs we have are working very hard on a kernel and cm7 and our limited amount of hands on this project means there is no reason to duplicate effort when most of our users have already expressed interest in cm7.

I don't know if you had specific question on the porting process but it sounds like you are requesting someone to do the entire port for you.
You cannot port miui from the Prevail as it has different drivers, a differfent screeen size, different baseband, etc. What you would have to do is start from scratch with the miui source and compile it ffor the TU since it isn't on the officially supported devices page.

If you need further instruction post your questions in this thread only

Upvote 0
I would urge you against bothering our kind devs with such a trivial project. You may prefer miui over CM7 but the simple fact is it would be a fruitless endeavor. Please stop creating multiple posts
Keep your discussion of miui out of the cm7 thread. The small amount of devs we have are working very hard on a kernel and cm7 and our limited amount of hands on this project means there is no reason to duplicate effort when most of our users have already expressed interest in cm7.

I don't know if you had specific question on the porting process but it sounds like you are requesting someone to do the entire port for you.
You cannot port miui from the Prevail as it has different drivers, a differfent screeen size, different baseband, etc. What you would have to do is start from scratch with the miui source and compile it ffor the TU since it isn't on the officially supported devices page.

If you need further instruction post your questions in this thread only

He is free to request whatever help he wants. It's the dev's decision whether or not to help him. (Though, I do agree it should be kept out of other development threads.)

Reactions: kingjames2.0
Upvote 0
I'm not asking for some one to port the whole rom for me I'm asking for help with it

So what specific questions did you have?

I need some information about the computer you are using before we get into the details of putting together a rom.

Do you already have a "kitchen" set up for "cooking" the roms in (build environment)? If so what version and distro of linux are you running?

More importantly, how far along with the compiling process are you?

It takes no more than an hour to sync the proper repos and build a rom capable of running in an emulator but flashing it and making sure it doesnt brick your device is another story. Kernel compatibility is another question entirely.

Upvote 0
1. Create a dual-boot environment or (depending on how much RAM you have or how fast your processor is) install Debian 5/6, Ubuntu 10.04 or above, or Linux Mint 10.04 or above into a virtualbox

(for the sake of space and time I will not go into the details of partitioning or setting up your dual boot environment, there are many guides already available online that weigh the pros and cons of both, your computers hardware and specifics require different drivers and therefor your mileage may vary as far as setting things up goes)

One thing I noticed from your post is that you have 32-bit vista. depending on how your computer was optioned out from the factory when you purchased it, it may or may not have a 64bit processor in it, you'd have to look at it's specs in the Control Panel to be able to determine that. The reason this is important is because most ROM building is done on a 64 bit linux, if you were to install 32-bit linux on your computer you may not have al l the necessary libraries available for building and the build will probably fail. Therefore, if you have any computer in your home with a 64bit processor, use that one instead.

2. Once you can boot into linux the easy part starts and is separated into three main steps
1. Setup build environment
2. sync repositorys and download source
3. configure and "make" or "compile" the rom (this part is completely automated so as long as the first two steps are completed successfully you will get a flashable zip afterward)

Becuase you may not have any linux expirence and learning the terminal can be a bit tough for new users, I will leave you with two guides that will hopefully point you started in the right direction

This is the way to do everything "from scratch" it takes the longest but it insures you have a 100% completely customized expirence
Official Google Dev Guide
XDA guide

The second (easier) way, I might recommend for you is taking an existing 2.3 Gingerbread rom, and modifying it with the MIUI files
Mod Guide
THe only problem with doing it the easier way is it insures that we keep the screen bug as the drag and drop issue doesnt seem to be kernel related (just probably a bad build of gingerbread)

anyway, there are 100 different ways to build a rom, but this post should give you quite a head start

Upvote 0
1. Create a dual-boot environment or (depending on how much RAM you have or how fast your processor is) install Debian 5/6, Ubuntu 10.04 or above, or Linux Mint 10.04 or above into a virtualbox

(for the sake of space and time I will not go into the details of partitioning or setting up your dual boot environment, there are many guides already available online that weigh the pros and cons of both, your computers hardware and specifics require different drivers and therefor your mileage may vary as far as setting things up goes)

One thing I noticed from your post is that you have 32-bit vista. depending on how your computer was optioned out from the factory when you purchased it, it may or may not have a 64bit processor in it, you'd have to look at it's specs in the Control Panel to be able to determine that. The reason this is important is because most ROM building is done on a 64 bit linux, if you were to install 32-bit linux on your computer you may not have al l the necessary libraries available for building and the build will probably fail. Therefore, if you have any computer in your home with a 64bit processor, use that one instead.

2. Once you can boot into linux the easy part starts and is separated into three main steps
1. Setup build environment
2. sync repositorys and download source
3. configure and "make" or "compile" the rom (this part is completely automated so as long as the first two steps are completed successfully you will get a flashable zip afterward)

Becuase you may not have any linux expirence and learning the terminal can be a bit tough for new users, I will leave you with two guides that will hopefully point you started in the right direction

This is the way to do everything "from scratch" it takes the longest but it insures you have a 100% completely customized expirence
Official Google Dev Guide
XDA guide

The second (easier) way, I might recommend for you is taking an existing 2.3 Gingerbread rom, and modifying it with the MIUI files
Mod Guide
THe only problem with doing it the easier way is it insures that we keep the screen bug as the drag and drop issue doesnt seem to be kernel related (just probably a bad build of gingerbread)

anyway, there are 100 different ways to build a rom, but this post should give you quite a head start

nice job on a noob start up guide... you should give it its own thread for all other "noobs" that want to learn/help and have the time to do so... i know there is a lot of info through out the TU and prevail and other forums, but it would be nice to have a compiled guide for beginers to start.

:party: But any ways thanks for taking the time for a well elaborated and helpfull post!

Reactions: ChoznJuan
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I have no interest in MIUI as all of my previous experiences with MIUI with the exception of the Nexus S 4g have been negative. Their dev support (as compared to CM7) is lacking in my opinion (mostly chinese), and I dislike all of the "eye candy" features. The MIUI website doesn't really even get routinely updated and they have less overall device support because you have to remember MIUI just recently became open sourced.

Just FYI, if you are just interested in the "look and feel" of MIUI, you can simply download a MIUI home-replacement app to replace your stock launcher.

Upvote 0
nice job on a noob start up guide... you should give it its own thread for all other "noobs" that want to learn/help and have the time to do so... i know there is a lot of info through out the TU and prevail and other forums, but it would be nice to have a compiled guide for beginers to start.

:party: But any ways thanks for taking the time for a well elaborated and helpfull post!

I am willing to write a more detailed guide (excluding how to install Linux) when I have a bit more time.

I am currently working on compiling a STOCK 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 rom (not kernel) AOSP-style, but it's taking longer than expected
based on what bads3ctor and I have posted about, the general consensus is that the screen issues are not caused by the drivers in the kernel, but instead the way stock gingerbread is built on our devices, most likely a bad compiling. bads3ctor has stated the issue doesn't exist with the newly available CM7 build that is now flashable (but missing a few things before beta)

with an otherwise stable device, I am excited to have so much going for the TU, but I honestly don't think MIUI is the way to go

Upvote 0
I am willing to write a more detailed guide (excluding how to install Linux) when I have a bit more time.

I am currently working on compiling a STOCK 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 rom (not kernel) AOSP-style, but it's taking longer than expected
based on what bads3ctor and I have posted about, the general consensus is that the screen issues are not caused by the drivers in the kernel, but instead the way stock gingerbread is built on our devices, most likely a bad compiling. bads3ctor has stated the issue doesn't exist with the newly available CM7 build that is now flashable (but missing a few things before beta)

with an otherwise stable device, I am excited to have so much going for the TU, but I honestly don't think MIUI is the way to go

i my self dont care about MIUI, im mainly just saying you gave a nice post that with a little more details would be a great thread of its own for others to start with for building any rom, not just for MIUI. ;)

Upvote 0
OK man do you think you could help me get wifi or 3g working in cm7

Wifi is a kernel issue and I've posted a possible solution in the cm7 thread straight from cyanogen wiki

We have logcats for 3g, but I honestly don't know about that one.
I would recommend against flashing that rom unless you learn a little more abut debugging first
You may run intob problems

Reactions: jdogrambo
Upvote 0
Wifi is a kernel issue and I've posted a possible solution in the cm7 thread straight from cyanogen wiki

We have logcats for 3g, but I honestly don't know about that one.
I would recommend against flashing that rom unless you learn a little more abut debugging first
You may run intob problems

alright this is my first android phone. do you think after rom is stable it will be safe to flash?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones