• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MKV Video Playback... HELP!

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I am having issues playing back MKV files.

The videos are on a Micro SD card, but I have many videos and different formats that DO work from the external card with no problem.

The detailed problem is I will open them up and not matter what video app they will play a few seconds of audio at the beginning of the video and then jump straight to the last few seconds or minutes of the video and only play audio. The screen remains black - no video. It's like downloading a movie and trying to play it before it had fully downloaded.

I've tried playing on multiple Android devices with the same problem on each one. I've tried the default video app, VLC Beta, MX, the old MX, RockPlayer2, BSPlayer, MoboPlayer, Media Classic Player, and I think a couple of others. I've messed with the settings on each one to no avail.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones