• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MLB.tv and MLB At Bat 2011 Live Streaming on Android

I dont get what YES has to do with it.

If you want to watch all games (minus blackouts) on your droid you need to get mlb.tv and the app yes.

If you want to only watch one game a day then you only need the app.

if you want to only listen to audio, then you only need the app.

One thing I would add is that the free game each day is random. So you don't get to pick one game each day. I assume most people who have used the app before know that but some who haven't might not know.

Upvote 0
im going to guess at the least 2.1 + maybe even 2.2 +

Also instead of getting a cheap tablet just to watch mlb.tv how about a netbook?

i asked the question by email to mlb.tv support and got a pretty quick reply here it is:

Response Via Email(Amanda Jackson) - 02/23/2011 10:29 AM
Dear Chris:

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is a list of supported Android phones capable of live streaming video of the games. You will need to get the At Bat 2011 application located in the Android Market when it is available. The list is as follows:

Droid
Droid 2
Droid X
HTC Evo
Samsung Epic
HTC Hero
Samsung Galaxy

If you have any further questions please feel free to call our Mobile Customer Support at 1-866-306-5311.

Sincerely,
MLB.com Customer Support
that list is super short. i have a feeling those are the only devices they will offer support for, but there have to be more devices that it will actually work on. i don't know much about android, but i assume there are quite a few other devices that have specs as good as or better than those listed above. whats the common denominator on those? can everyone post up when they try out the live streaming (when they roll it out) with what device you have and whether it works or not.

as for the netbook thing, i already have one, i am looking for something even more portable. the coby kyros, archos 32, and lg optimus v are all under 200 and smaller than my netbook. trust me, i will def be using the netbook, just too big to use all the time.

Reactions: ozzzy3z
Upvote 0
It appears the MLB 2010 app has been pulled from the market. I wonder if this means we'll see the 2011 app today or tomorrow.

Edit: At Bat 2011 is in the market. It's $14.99 and there is a lite version as well. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'm going to poke around in it and find out. I am definitely going to buy this.

Upvote 0
I live in Boston and I can watch every Red Sox game on NESN (local sports channel). I seriously considered dropping the $120 for mlb.tv but the blackouts are just ridiculous. I wanted it so when I'm out and about and can't watch tv, I could just watch the game on my phone. However, being that I live in Boston, every Red Sox game is blacked out on mlb.tv. I might consider just getting the "Mlb at bat 11" app and just listening to audio. Does anyone know if there's any restrictions on that? Like, do I have to purchase the app ALONG with the gameday audio from mlb.com? Also, I've never had the "at bat" app, but I follow baseball religiously. Is there anything in that app to follow fantasy players (like mlb.tv has)?

Upvote 0
My understanding is that the "At Bat 2011" app that you pay for (not "At Bat Lite" which is free) will have gameday audio with NO blackouts. I am almost positive that the audio is never blacked out, but I can't guarantee because I don't have an android device. I also can't guarantee that you need to pay for mobile live audio (but you will need to pay for mobile live video). MLB.com keeps changing their mind on this stuff. Last week their website had way less info than they have now. Three weeks ago they didn't even have pricing. Your best bet since you live in the city of the team you want to watch/listen to is to bypass the mlb.tv and get the free At Bat Lite app and wait until opening day to find out if you need to pay the $15 for the full At Bat app in order to listen to the Red Sox. But since you live in Boston, why not just get a nice AM radio? lol

Upvote 0
Ok, here is the deal. MLB At bat 2010 is gone. Long live MLB At Bat 2011 and At Bat 2011 Lite.

At Bat 2011 Lite has scores and schedules, standings, news stories and video clips after the fact. It DOES NOT let you listen to any games or watch any games.

At Bat 2011 has everything the Lite version has and it lets you listen to home/away and sometimes foreign language broadcasts for ALL games. It also lets you watch all the games for an additional subscription fee. The $15 just gives you access to all the audio from all the games. Audio is never blacked out. Video might be.

Upvote 0
I live in Boston and I can watch every Red Sox game on NESN (local sports channel). I seriously considered dropping the $120 for mlb.tv but the blackouts are just ridiculous. I wanted it so when I'm out and about and can't watch tv, I could just watch the game on my phone. However, being that I live in Boston, every Red Sox game is blacked out on mlb.tv. I might consider just getting the "Mlb at bat 11" app and just listening to audio. Does anyone know if there's any restrictions on that? Like, do I have to purchase the app ALONG with the gameday audio from mlb.com? Also, I've never had the "at bat" app, but I follow baseball religiously. Is there anything in that app to follow fantasy players (like mlb.tv has)?

I had the app last year and I just bought it for '11. I believe it will work the same way again this season:

-- You get the home and visitors' radio broadcast of every game free.
-- You get video clips during the games (delayed)
-- You get a "FastCast" recap video of highlights from around the Majors the next morning
-- You get a condensed version of each game by the next morning
-- You can track games in progress pitch-by-pitch and get live updating box scrores.
-- You get news stories from MLB.com plus information on roster and schedules.

Well worth it to me. I think it's a great deal even without live streaming video.

Upvote 0
Some of you guys have to read the descriptions more clearly. This paid app is only for audio, UNLESS you have a compatible android device AND a subscription to MLB.TV ($99). So it still sucks.

I think most people knew they wouldn't get video for only $15. Last year you couldn't get video at all even if you had an MLB.tv account. This year you can watch video. That's what the topic is about. You'll always need an MLB.tv account and $99/season for every out of market game is a very low price for a baseball fan. Also with a PS3 you can use your account to watch games on your tv. My dad is a Twins fan living in Minnesota so yeah for him the subscription and app is pretty stupid. I'm a Twins fan living in Louisiana so for me its a no brainer to get the app and the subscription.

Upvote 0
I'm all in on the app just because I work for a living and there's no other way to get the audio for the games during the day or when I'm at home in the evening even. I'm on the fence on the subscription just because I'm a cheapskate. I will admit the prospect of possibly watching games on my NC is very appealing though.

Upvote 0

If you want to watch all games (minus blackouts) on your droid you need to get mlb.tv and the app yes.

Perfect. I'd rather watch the games on my tv anyway and NESN is included in my cable package so I can see all the Red Sox games.

When I'm travelling, i like to follow the live pitch by pitch and listen to the audio. Love having the ability to listen to home or away announcers. The video highlights are enough video for me. I don't need to watch baseball on a 3 inch screen. My team gets more than its share of nationally televised games anyway, so I can often watch when I'm out of town.

Upvote 0
You can get around dropping the $15 on the MLB app, by subscribing to Playon instead. Playon allows you to stream MLB.tv on android 2.2 devices with flash. It's $40/first year & $20/year subsequent years, so it wouldn't make sense if MLB.tv was your only reason for purchasing it, but it also allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, etc to your phone. I already use playon for Netflix/Hulu, so MLB won't be getting an extra $15 from me for the app...$99 for the MLB.tv subscription is enough.

Upvote 0
You can get around dropping the $15 on the MLB app, by subscribing to Playon instead. Playon allows you to stream MLB.tv on android 2.2 devices with flash. It's $40/first year & $20/year subsequent years, so it wouldn't make sense if MLB.tv was your only reason for purchasing it, but it also allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, etc to your phone. I already use playon for Netflix/Hulu, so MLB won't be getting an extra $15 from me for the app...$99 for the MLB.tv subscription is enough.

The cheapest way to do this, is get a tv tuner for your computer. The Hauppauge 950 is about 60 bucks. Then use the free software Orb to stream it to your phone or any other device. No monthly fee, no 300 dollar slingbox to buy.

And FYI, for all those who are wondering about blackouts, if you are rooted you can download Location Spoofer. This lets you trick the app into thinking you are somewhere else. I use it all the time with the NHL app.

Upvote 0

Is this one included game w/ video any game of your choice?

Edit: just saw the answer..thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded it. I didn't realize you got one game per day (video) free! That's nice. So, you get all the audio and one video game per day for just $15 per season, and need to pay another $99 if you want the video feed for the rest of the games.

One question: it looks like the streaming video will be for "some" Android devices. Anyone see a list of which ones????

Upvote 0
I just downloaded it. I didn't realize you got one game per day (video) free! That's nice. So, you get all the audio and one video game per day for just $15 per season, and need to pay another $99 if you want the video feed for the rest of the games.

One question: it looks like the streaming video will be for "some" Android devices. Anyone see a list of which ones????

Someone received an email from support containing the supported devices list..its posted above.

My question is..aside from audio/video..anyone like the mlb.com mobile site better than At Bat?

Upvote 0
Droid
Droid 2
Droid X
HTC Evo
Samsung Epic
HTC Hero
Samsung Galaxy

The tips/support inside the actual app says that you can watch on the following devices:

HTC Evo
HTC Incredible
Motorola Droid X

That is all. Open the app go to home screen then Information then Tips/Support. Scroll down. That's what I see. I hope what was said earlier is true because I have the epic.

Upvote 0
I have been trying get Mlb at bat 11 on my Hero. When I go to the market and type at bat 11 in search all I get is no matches found. I still have the 2010 version in my phone. Like the post above I get the news. I've been online the last two days. It seems that there are others with the same problem. I talked with Mlb tech support yesterday and they couldn't figure it out. What's really strange they have no record of my account from last year. Not even my phone# even though I had the order#. I read that android is having security issues with certain apps. I was on the Android forum yesterday and tried a couple of fixes. When I log onto the Android Market it tells me that there is no account for my device even though it shows my phone #. I'm out of ideas. Does anyone else have this problem?

Upvote 0
The tips/support inside the actual app says that you can watch on the following devices:

HTC Evo
HTC Incredible
Motorola Droid X

That is all. Open the app go to home screen then Information then Tips/Support. Scroll down. That's what I see. I hope what was said earlier is true because I have the epic.

Hmmmm...as an Incredible owner, not sure how I feel about this...I think part of me was actually wishing it WASN'T available (I'm weak).

Thanks for all those who responded to my post, btw!

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I plan on buying the $15 app and I've already purchased my MLB.tv account for 2011 (went with the $119.99 plan, love my broadcasters). I have an HTC Evo, but my only concern is that where I live (Buffalo, NY) we only have 3G. Will I actually be able to watch the games on my Evo, or will it just lag constantly??

Upvote 0
RANT WARNING:
Mlb has consistently been one of the greediest most behind the times companies when it comes to streaming audio/video.

The fact is that they are paid off by cell phone companies to only offer video/audio on specific devices. Of course if you email them they'll say "oh sorry it only works on Said device. Of course anyone who's not the common dunce will realize that Android doesn't give a poop if you phone is on ATT or Verizon or if it's a Wifi only Pad.

Anyways I have an Archos 32 and because I had to put the "market hack" on it to get the market (because it's not an office google device or whatever) the MLB.TV app doesn't show up in the market. Will this change? Hmmm maybe probably not. Anyways there is only 1 way for me to currently get the MLb.TV app. I'd love to give 15 dollars to MLB for this app but their greed apparently is working against them cause I CAN'T pay for it. It's mind boggling.

Anyways I'm listening to the games right now on my Archos 32 and it sounds fantastics. As for Video I don't care that much cause I'm more interested in Rockies games and the video would be blacked out. Audio is NOT blacked out ever.

END RANT

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones