1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support MMS Download/Upload Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by handler313, Feb 14, 2011.

1. handler313

handler313 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2010
    I started a thread about this a couple weeks back (Mr. Ed gave me advice) but I can't find it plus the issue is worse now. I cannot download or send MMS messages from my phone as of late. Doesn't matter what my signal strength is, whether I am on Wifi/3G/4g or anything else. I have updated the PRL and my profile, I have updated to the newest version of Handcent and tried sending it through the stock message app and nothing.

A friend of mine had this same problem a few months back and the only thing that fixed it was a factory reset and I won't lie that is not appealing to me at all. Is there some other fix I can try?

Everything else on the phone seems to work fine...just this persistent problem that won't go away and is starting to really bug me. What is the point of having a phone with a camera and MMS capability if it won't send MMS?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Here is your original thread. Are you having any other network related issues, or is this it?

3. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    No other network issues that I notice.

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    I assume your phone isn't rooted, so doing a factory reset would be a big deal? You could always take it to Sprint and have them reprovision it, and see if that helps.

5. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    Not rooted...no network issues everything else works perfect.

So I did a hard reset and it worked for twenty minutes and bang stopped again...all I can do is either take off apps and hope that solves it or take it in...I'm not one for whining but my katana five years ago never had these issues nor did my hero :(

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    In those 20 minutes, what did you do? Did you install any apps, change any settings, etc.?

7. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    Wow fast reply!

I don't believe I downloaded anything new minus juice defender which I uninstalled and the only setting I changed was always on mobile data but my data is on now which is why I am posting from my phone :)

I also updated the profile and prl

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    I know your issue isn't with 3g speeds, but just on a hunch, follow the instructions here.

9. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    I will try it tonight after work and report back...thanks :)

10. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    So I tried it (called Sprint and they gave me the MSL without hesitation) and while it did boost my dl speeds (seems to have hurt my upload speeds) it did nothing for my MMS problems.

Another thing I noticed right around the same time (didn't think much of it) was that when I look at my apps in the market, only half the time do more than a handful show up. This is continuing now. Hell, yesterday I noticed that it said I had not downloaded Handcent at all even though I had been using it all day. (no lie I thought I was drunk at work when I saw that!) Right now according to my market I have like 8 apps downloaded on my phone...my home screens disagree :p

It is snowing pretty bad here so later if I get bored I might just start uninstalling stuff one at a time and sending MMS to myself to see if maybe one of the programs is screwing with this. (everything is backed up on my SD from the first hard reset) If that doesn't work I will do another hard reset and see if on stock it works better than maybe add programs one at a time for the same reason. that is if you can't go all House M.D. on the bit and diagnose this stuff.

Thanks for listening to me whine and helping out :)

11. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    So you can actually use all your apps, but they don't show up in the market as downloaded?

12. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Your phone is stock? Not rooted

It is very odd that your phone has lost market links stock. Are you using apps2sd? Have the missing apps been moved to the sd card?

I think these are different issues.

The Mom problem happens on both handscent and stock message apps?

13. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    My phone is stock not rooted. The problem is on both Handcent and the stock app.

I used apps2SD yes, and I checked to see if the apps were there and it says there are no apps on the sd card. It also only shows a like 20% of my apps on my phone right now. The App Backup and Restore app shows them all and has them all backed up and they all seem to be showing up on appbrain.

Is it possible my reset got messed up?

14. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Did you reinstall apps on the sdcard after you did the factory reset? Just because they're on the sdcard doesn't mean they stay there. They get wiped out too.

15. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    No I didn't I just used the Back and Restore app to put them back on the phone. (used SMS backup to put those back on)

16. Mr. Ed

None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    For some reason that procedure causes issues with market links and card vs phone storage.

I suggest this...and it is going to take some time
    Do a reset again.
    Test mms. Send and recieve
    Use the backups as a list...reinstall each app manually by dload from market
    Test installed app
    Test send and receive between each addition of an app just to make sure it still works
    Install next app in list
    Test app
    Test mms etc etc

Basically I think you have some sort of data corruption...and it most likely attatched to an app and was backed up with said app. Or it is an app itself. Then when restoring said app and eventually using it the problem starts again.

17. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    Yeah that is sort of what I was thinking...I mean if everything else works there is no reason this should not work. Seeing as I have all day and am going nowhere thanks to the Snow Apocalypse going on here I will try this a little later.

I will report what I find.

Thanks guys seriously, you have all been a great help!

18. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Yep, that sounds like a good procedure to follow. Let us know how it goes.

19. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    So an update on the progress so far:

I factory reset and sent an MMS (small one to make life easy) and it worked.
    Next I downloaded AppBrain since it seems more reliable than the Market right now. (plus I am synced so all of my apps are there to redownload it seems) Sent the same MMS (deleted the old thread so as not to confuse me) and it sent and downloaded. (though the notification was a bit hinky, no biggy though)
    Next downloaded Speed Test so I can see where the most consistent 3G spot in my apartment is. After finding that (more on that in a second) I deleted the old MMS thread and resent the same picture...uploaded fast, downloaded like molasses but it did finally work.

Here is the thing up until recently I have never had 3G issue in my apartment but the last few days my speed test speeds are horrendous. (in the neighborhood of .15mpbs in a good spot) As far as I know there is no outages in the area and this is true before and after the PRL fix. I would have blamed this for the problem except I had awesome speeds at work yesterday (damned near 2mpbs) which is where I noticed the problem in the first place. Part of it may be this storm outside (I think that is why my 3G is in and out today) but who knows.

Whats funny is I turned 3G off and sent an MMS to myself as a check (my wifi speeds are in the 3-5mbps range) even though I knew you can't do it that way...it uploaded the MMS no problem, but wouldn't download it until I turned 3G on again. Not really relevant but it made me smile. If I only we could use wifi to send/receive MMS my life would be complete.

I will keep updating, though I am not sure how much more I will do since 3G goes out randomly and I dont want to give myself a coronary. I will stick with stock messaging for now and see how that works...plus I seem to like it now more than I used to. I will keep you all posted.

20. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Thanks for the update. How are your 3g speeds in other locations? Is it just at home?

21. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    It seems the issue is just at home as I had good speeds at my job which is in another part of Minneapolis. (about 4 miles away) Tomorrow I will be able to be out and about so I will see how things are in other parts of the Twin Cities.

I know last week I had no 3G issues in St. Paul, any of the suburbs or anywhere else I was.

22. Mr. Ed

None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    That is one of the things I have been worried about. Towers here in dallas appear to be up and down too. You might run through that 3g fix thread again. Resetting wipes all of that out. In the end its most likely the tower and until that gets fixed you issue will fluctuate in and out with the data quality from that tower.

Does the mms issue go away while you are at work?

23. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    I did the PRL fix again after I reset if that is what you mean.

Yesterday at work (obviously before my reset) it didnt work. I wont be at work again until Thursday. I usually get great 3G at school though (in St. Paul) so I will try sending the MMS tomorrow when I head that way and see if it helps. If iit does I will then commence with adding for trial and error purposes.

24. Mr. Ed

None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Sounds good. If you have time contactvsprint about the zipcodes where you have issues. That's my current project here in dallas. It bugs the crap out of me that 1 block away in any direction from my store I get 1 mbps dl. But on that block I ge .15 mbps

25. handler313

None

Feb 21, 2010
    Yeah that would piss me off as well!

So an update:

I have probably uploaded 20 apps as of now and after each one I have sent a successful MMS. So far so good :)

I have been avoiding adding 3 apps that I worry may be the culprit or part of the issue, so I will do them last and cross my fingers. Those 3 are Handcent, Widgetsoid and Widgetlocker. God I hope none of them were the issue.

Tags: