1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MMS help Please.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jazz53, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jazz53

jazz53 Member

Hi;
    I have a unlocked Verizon Droid3 on PCMobile account in Canada.
    I can not receive mms messages.
    PCMobile tech says everything on their end is fine. Message is being sent to phone.
    I can connect and browse the web, recieve regular text etc..
    When someone sends me an mms message i get 2 options, download and reject. When I try to download it tells me "message failed, try again"
    I have messages set to download mms automatically.
    I had to manually set apn settings as per Bell.ca for a moto milestone. Tech confirmed.
    Is there a setting somewhere I can not find, or something locked to verizon that has to be changed?

I have ver 2.3.4
    I believe it is rooted

Help please.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jazz53

jazz53 Member

OK; I have installed Minimoto with safestrap, still can not receive mms messages.
    Any ideas?

3. I moved this thread to the sub-forum dedicated to discussing root-related issues of this phone.

... Thom

4. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I don't have much of an idea if the apn settings are right. Is this a CDMA or GSM carrier?

5. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

You might try the free app 'Save MMS' as work-around :)

6. jazz53

jazz53 Member

It is a GSM/UMTS carrier.

7. jazz53

jazz53 Member

Wich Save MMS app are you talking about?
    There seem to be a few with the same name.
    Are they not just an app for moving and storing mms messages once downloaded?

8. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

Save MMS by Andrew Schwimmer, that's is the app that I use, and it's saving the MMS pics.
    The message about the failed download might be uncorrect and the MMS might be downloaded already. Then Save MMS will find it :)

9. doogald

You may need to edit the build.prop file. Did you do that at all? Or do you not know what I'm talking about?

jazz53 likes this.
  10. jazz53

jazz53 Member

I do not know anything about build.prop
    Should everything in minimoto not be generic?
    Does it take settings from stock verizon version?
    Maybe that is why I can not change voicemail# as well?

11. jazz53

jazz53 Member

As for the "save MMS" app I installed it, but it can not find any downloads.

12. doogald

jazz53 likes this.
  13. jazz53

jazz53 Member

I installed the patch as per page suggested.
    I still can not receive MMS messages.
    Any other ideas?

14. doogald

Just to ask these questions, under settings in the messaging app, do you have "auto-retrieve" under MMS set? Do you have roaming auto retrieve set?

If yes or if these changes do not help, I may have one more idea... (a different ROM to install under safestrap.)

15. jazz53

jazz53 Member

Thanks for your time and help.
    I will try a new rom, what rom do you suggest? with link please.
    About build.prop, how do I check it?
    and what settings should be used?
    The patch you recommended had 2 ver, 1.6 and 1.7, I used 1.7, would that have made a difference?

16. doogald

Try the ROM here: XT861 5.8.25 Stock ROM. Android 2.3.6 - UPDATED 1/23 - xda-developers

I could never get MMS to retrieve on Verizon with this ROM. Maybe it will work better on a GSM carrier?

Pull one of the two links at the bottom of the first post. You'll have to wipe data before installing, and setup again from scratch, and put it into GSM mode and enter the APNs again, etc.

Let's see if that works...

jazz53 likes this.
  17. jazz53

jazz53 Member

Hi; I finally got the xt861 rom installed and can get mms messages thank you.
    I do have a few other questions, but am not sure if I should start a new thread or continue this one.
    The xt861 rom changed all the settings for the phone, why did minidroid keep the original settings instead of changing them to generic or something not locked to verizon.? Phone Info settings I am talking about.

18. doogald

I'm not sure. It may be the origin of the ROM - MiniMoto is built from the stock Verizon build, while the other ROM was built from a version that ran on a non-Verizon phone.

It's great that MMS is working, though it's too bad it's not on MiniMoto - the 2.3.6 ROM is a bit on the "heavy" side. Anyway, so long as everything works, that's what matters...

jazz53 likes this.

Motorola Droid 3 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews