• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MMS message crashed my phone

quantumrand

Android Expert
Sep 2, 2009
After using my Hero for a bit over a month, I've had my first run in with a serious problem. I received a MMS text message, and every time I tried viewing the messages page (using the default messaging program) for that contact, I would get a force close error for com.android.mms.

After trying a few more times, rebooting the phone, etc, I decided to try Handcent SMS. Fortunately, Handcent did not crash when I viewed that contacts messages, but it also couldn't read the message stating something like "Handcent SMS is unable to read this message." Oddly though, I was able to use the Save MMS option not only to see the image, but successfully save it as well. I was happy about this, but when I tried to delete the message so that I could continue to use the default messaging program (I like the widget, sorry), it could not delete the message.

The only way I could rectify the problem was by deleting the entire messaging thread with that contact.

Now, this has only happened once so far, and I have yet to try to reproduce it; nonetheless, it's a pressing issue I'd like more information on. Has anyone else had this happen? Are there any more effective ways to handle it other than deleting the entire contact thread?

this happened to me too. i had a mms which i could read fine (well the pic was super tiny). then all of a sudden it caused a force close and i had to delete the whole thread. but i heard that when this happened was also when O2 began to support mms on the hero - so they changed some kind of mms setting. i received a pic message yesterday and it was totally fine (and not super tiny!). what network are you on?

Upvote 0
I have an unlocked Hero on AT&T in the US. I've looked into it a little, and there is some reference to large amounts of texts can crash it when recieving an MMS. I had about 400 texts, somewhere around 10 of them were MMS messages.

How many messages did the thread that crashed yours have?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones