• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS not sending. Generic Network Failure

leegseegs

Jun 7, 2010
Everytime I either try to send or receive an MMS, I get a "Generic Network Failure" error message, and the message does not send (or download if someone's trying to send me an MMS).

Here are the following things I've tried:

• Factory reset
  • Update profile
  • Update PRL
  • Tried Handcent (same errors)
  • Turned off / on Auto-retrieve on MMS settings
  • Changed MMS Priority settings from normal to high / low

SMS works perfectly fine. As well as sending picture attachments through Gmail.

My connection settings under Messages app are all blank (e.g. for MMSC, MMS proxy, MMS port, etc). Not sure if this is supposed to be this way?

My wife has an EVO and her MMS works great, so I don't think its a service strength issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Hey guys

I don't know if this will help. But i had the same error "generic network failure" after only having my HTC desire for couple weeks. I am on o2 sim simplicity and purchased the handset separately.

However, i resolved it by manually setting up the WEB&MMS.

This guide is based on a HTC Desirethat has been unlocked and is now running a O2 SIM card.

Click 'menu' and select 'wireless & networks'.

Ensure Mobile network is enabled (ticked green) then select 'mobile networks' (setting options for roaming and APNs)

Click on Access Points Names asvyou will need to set up 2 x APNs on the handset.

First one is for your mobile internet. Remember that if you do not have the unlimited web bolt on then this will start to get very expensive for you! You need to enter this information in. If there is nothing written for a paticular field then just leave it blank.

Mobile Web:
Name: o2
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: web
Password: web
MCC: 234
MNC: 10

select 'menu' and 'save' before going back from the settings to the APNs page. Yours O2 will be listed.

Following this select 'menu' and 'New APN' to set up your MMS, APN details are as following:

Name: MMS
APN: wap.o2.co.uk
Username: o2wap
Password: password
Server: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 243
MNC: 10

Now once these two seperate APN's have been entered and you have made sure you saved them you should see a grey circle next to each one.

Click on the MMS circle and it should now have a green light inside it.

Re-Boot the handset.

You should now have mobile internet and MMS capabilities
thumbsup.gif

Just remember that these are the settings that worked for me on my HTC Magic unlocked and used with a O2 SIMplicity card with a unlimited web bolt on. Make sure you have a data package otherwise your phone bills will be massive! If in doubt check with O2 to make sure your not being charged for the data etc. I cannot be held responsible!

Aisha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones