• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MMS on Vodafone

robbiec

Aug 14, 2009
Hey all,

I'm having problems sending MMS messages, I can recieve them OK.

None of the MMS related settings are in place and Vodafone say they can't send the settings direct to the phone as they don't officially support the Hero. They did however email me the settings for the Magic which I've tried but they don't work.

When I attempt to send an MMS to myself (for testing) I get two messages the first is blank and then the second has the link and password to view the pic online but when I go in to the message i get an error that says:

"sorry! The application messages (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Anyone else got this problem? The Magic settings I was sent are:

----------
HTC Magic
Setting up WAP & MMS
1.Press the Menu button
2.Tap Settings
3.Tap Wireless Controls
4.Tap Mobile Networks
5.Tap Access Point Names
6.Press the Menu key
7.Tap New APN
8.Tap Name and enter a name e.g. Vodafone WAP and tap OK
9.Tap APN and enter
for Pay monthly customers: wap.vodafone.co.uk
for Pay as you go customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk
10.Tap Username and enter wap and tap OK
11.Tap Password and enter wap and tap OK
12.Tap MMSC and enter http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms and tap OK
13.Tap MMS Proxy and enter 212.183.137.012 and tap OK
14.Tap MMS Port and enter 8799 and tap OK
15.Tap MCC and enter 234 and tap OK
16.Tap MNC and enter 15 and tap OK
17.Press the Menu key
18.Press Save
----------

Any help much appreciated...

Regards,
Rob.

Here are the settings I personally used:

1. Press the Menu button
2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Wireless Controls
4. Tap Mobile Networks
5. Tap Access Point Names
6. Press the Menu key
7. Tap New APN
8. Tap Name and enter a name e.g. Vodafone WAP and tap OK
9. Tap APN and enter

for Pay monthly customers: wap.vodafone.co.uk
for Pay as you go customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk
10. Tap Username and enter wap and tap OK
11. Tap Password and enter wap and tap OK
12. Tap MMSC and enter http://mms.vodafone.co.uk and tap OK
13. Tap MMS Proxy and enter 212.183.137.012 and tap OK
14. Tap MMS Port and enter 8799 and tap OK
15. Tap MCC and enter 234 and tap OK
16. Tap MNC and enter15 and tap OK
17. Press the Menu key
18. Press Save

Proxy, Port and APN Type shouldn't be set at all, they should say <Not Set>

Upvote 0
I'm also having a problem with MMS on the HTC Magic, which is on a Vodafone contract. Vodafone also forwarded the settings robbiec has posted, which don't work. I've also tried the amended ones from tone-fu, but they're also not working!?! If MMS are sent to the mobile, they can only be viewed by clicking and link and entering a password. If anyone can offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Chegs.

Upvote 0
I'm also having a problem with MMS on the HTC Magic, which is on a Vodafone contract. Vodafone also forwarded the settings robbiec has posted, which don't work. I've also tried the amended ones from tone-fu, but they're also not working!?! If MMS are sent to the mobile, they can only be viewed by clicking and link and entering a password. If anyone can offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Chegs.

That's odd. It took me a good few hours to get the settings right and they've been thoroughly tested (both send and receive work perfectly).

I presume you are in the U.K.?

Upvote 0
That's odd. It took me a good few hours to get the settings right and they've been thoroughly tested (both send and receive work perfectly).

I presume you are in the U.K.?

Yep, I'm in the UK and wondering if some other setting is causing the problem?

The unit came with what would appear to be correct WAP setting already installed. By this I mean they are the same setting that Vodafone forwarded for manual inputting. I did however create a new WAP profile and that has the amended setting that you offered and I've confirm the new profile is selected.

I wonder if it's worth deleting both profiles and starting from scratch?

Chegs.

Upvote 0
I came across a few settings on blogs and the like, none of them worked for me. When creating a new APN I would put the details in, press save and then go back to the selection page where it wouldn't have even saved it.

I just spent time going through settings found on the web, ones given to me by Vodafone and mixed the two together until I got it to work. Here is my APN, as it is (and I can send and receive MMS, browse the web and do everything apart from use Peep to Tweet):

Name - Vodafone WAP
APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy - Not Set
Port - Not Set
Username - wap
Password - wap
Server - Not Set
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.012
MMS Port - 8799
MMS Protocol - WAP 2.0
MCC - 234
MNC - 15
APN Type - Not Set

Upvote 0
I can offer you only a theory I'm afraid.

Back when I had the 3G iPhone (before the 3.0 update), the phone could not get MMS messages (no iphone could in the UK without JB). All you got was the sms with link and password.
Then came an app from Cydia (If I recall) that allowed you to see MMS messages in the traditional way.
However, you had to get the guys at O2 HQ to activate the setting on their side that acknowledged you had a handset that could accept MMS - otherwise you just got the sms/code/link.
Some said that the setting was already activated, and that they had to convince the 02 guy to deactivate and reactivate.

I know this sounds like a real long shot, but may just be the answer.
If you are getting an SMS with code/link, then it's a setting on the Vodafone side that's causing that. Your handset doesn't decide how to handle the message by itself.

Upvote 0
Damn, this is soooo frustrating, still can't find any settings that work!?!

Vodafone are about as much use a a chocolate tea pot, so not sure which way to turn now :thinking:

Yep.. still not working for me either.

There's another thread on this on the Vodafone forums here: forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33165

Maybe worth posting there too to try and get them to take the problem more seriously!

Upvote 0
OK, I've just got myself a HTC Hero on Vodafone via mobilephonesdirect and it appears to have come with all the necessary text/wap/MMS setting pre-installed!?!

I know the Magic and Hero are different mobiles, but thought I'd add the settings on my unit, as this might give the clever people who know about this sort of stuff something to work from.

Interestingly there are two sets of APN data inputted, with the top one being checked -

Name - Vodafone Post-pay ISP
APN - internet
Proxy - <Not set>
Port - <Not set>
Username - web
Password - web
Server - <Not set>
MMSC - <Not set>
MMS proxy - <Not set>
MMS port - <Not set>
MMS protocol - WAP 2.0
MCC - 234
MNC - 15
APN type - default

Name - Vodafone MMS
APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy - <Not set>
Port - <Not set>
Username - wap
Password - wap
Server - <Not set>
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS proxy - 212.183.137.12
MMS port - 8799
MMS protocol - WAP 2.0
MCC - 234
MNC - 15
APN type - mms

The one main problem for Magic owners is there's no "MMS protocol" option on these units.

But.......and there's always a but.....I've tried putting the above details into my missus's Magic and it's STILL playing silly buggers and not sending/receiving MMS :mad:

Upvote 0
Guys and Girls I beleive I have the Resolution! :D

1) All Vodafone Numbers MMS is deactivated At network level by default , you need to Ring customer services up on 191 Free of charge and ask them to Activate it ;)

**Please Allow up to 24 hours for the Activation to fully take effect

2) Just a heads up! Vodafone customers currently with numbers beginning with 0758 are having difficulties sending and receiving MMS , Vodafone engineers are working on it however their is no time scale as to when it will be fixed.

Carl C :D

P.S. If your a vodafone UK customer did you know they have MMS bundles , 50 MMS for

Upvote 0
Hi.

I bought a sim-free Samsung Galaxy, and have spent ages scouring the web for clues to setting up mms. I found a final idea here, and now it works. I don't know how similar your HTCs are, but what I have is very similar to an earlier reply, so it might work for you. Browser and mms are combined in a single APN, and the settings I've used are:

Name - Vodafone WAP
APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy - Not Set
Port - Not Set
Username - web
Password - web
Server - Not Set
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms/
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12
MMS Port - 8799
MCC - 234
MNC - 15
APN Type - internet + mms
Authentication Type - Normal(PAP)

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones