• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS pictures not downloading

Alright...here is the final solution! I went to Verizon and they admitted to me that there is a KNOWN problem in the HTC Droid Eris line. The early models of the Eris have a hardware problem. HTC was so focused on getting their 3G data right, that they skipped an essential part of the 1x data where MMS picture messages come through over all networks.

Basically, I asked the Verizon rep why they didn't tell any of us users who purchased the Eris from the earliest models and they told me that it was an HTC error, not theirs. All they can do is replace the phone to one of the newer models. I just had this done, and it works perfectly. They could have easily contacted all users with the Eris and said that HTC had a problem instead of leaving us to figure it out on our own. They could have provided good customer service and decided not to do so!!

This is the only solution and the Verizon rep knew about the problem and was very helpful. I told him that I was going to post this online, telling ALL users who purchased the early models of the Eris (I got mine in late-November) to take it into Verizon and have a replacement ordered.

All of my paid apps transferred, contacts transferred, pictures transferred, etc...just had to set up my scenes again and download my free apps again...not a big deal!

Jeremy

Upvote 0
My Eris downloads mms fine (sometimes) my problem is when I send a mms to my wife on her Droid it doesnt download my mms.
(we are both using chompsms, I can only send mms to her using the default (original) messaging system)

Any suggestions on that?

I've emailed chompsms multiple times, they're not sure what the problem is.

It's a little aggravating to have to send mms different ways to different people. I know someone that has the iphone, I have to send mms with the default (original) messaging system PLUS it has to be resized.

HELP if you can :)

Upvote 0
Jhew, Im back to not working again! Worked almost a month this time! Im copying your post and bringing it right to Verizon. Are there any specific terms i should use that your rep told you was the prob? Also, was it documented (like for real) once they came to the conclussion that is is indeed their hardware problem? Ah what a nightmare, im so frustrated!

Upvote 0
Jhew, Im back to not working again! Worked almost a month this time! Im copying your post and bringing it right to Verizon. Are there any specific terms i should use that your rep told you was the prob? Also, was it documented (like for real) once they came to the conclussion that is is indeed their hardware problem? Ah what a nightmare, im so frustrated!

I don't know if it was anything documented. But I will tell you, since they sent the new phone...I have had NO problems what-so-ever with it. I'm getting pictures from all different carriers, brands of phones, etc.

The original rep they sent me to see didn't know anything about it. Then he said "let me ask (whatever his name was) because he has the same phone and might know a fix". Then he was the rep who told me about the hardware issue.

Feel free to take my post into the store. Have them even call the Erie, PA store where I'm from if they need to.

They sent it out 2-day UPS..which really took 4 because it was the weekend.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Upvote 0
well, it seems like my phone is 'cured' (at least in the meantime).. 2 weeks ago i wasn't able to recieve a single MMS, in fact, i never was able to on my phone except maybe the first MMS's i got when i first got the phone...
but starting a week ago or so i've been recieving all my MMS's and can download them and put them on SD card.. im not sure if it had something to do with me switching over to HandCent but it seemed like around that time i was able to start recieving them.

Upvote 0
Alright guys, I know I'm new here, but I was having the same problem and a google search sent me here, so. . .

OK, and I know I'm on a different phone (Nexus One) and a different carrier (T-mobile) so my fix may not even work for any of you (like the Eris users who have problematic hardware).

I just wanted to mention firstly that I seemed to be able to receive mms from my husband (dumbphone on the same network) but unable to receive them from smartphones on other networks. I'm not sure if there's a correlation, but I'm tending to think it's a network issue as opposed to a phone issue, as some of you have alluded earlier in this thread.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I fixed it by setting my data APN's type to "default". I have two APNs, one for data and one for sms (long story, but it's because my data plan does not include sms/mms). My sms APN has been set to "sms" but my data APN's type was blank. As soon as I typed in "default" in the type field, all of my mms messages downloaded.

Since I'm new here and haven't read beyond this one thread, please don't flame me if you've done this or it doesn't apply to you or some other thing that makes my post useless. But I wanted to share in the off-chance it helped.

Upvote 0
i have a droid, my friend has an eris. mine didn't work for a month and a half, then started working last week. hers sttill doesnt work ever since she got it. i send her a mms, she doesnt get anything. i send another, she gets mms from her dad from day before. i send her another mms, its from me from hours ago. as i continued sending mms' she was one behind mine.. then stopped working mysteriously after 10 minutes or so... hasnt worked since..

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

both verizon

Upvote 0
I'm still pretty much a newcomer to the smartphone world and had a quick question about MMS.

When I receive an MMS it seems to give me two options; download the image or download the sound... shouldn't they come combined? Is this a phone setting? A setting I have with my plan in Verizon? (Shouldn't be, I'm paying for the maxed out plan.) An error? Or am I just having a brain fart here???

Upvote 0
has anybody called tech support and got someone to actually look into the network side of things. a tier 2 rep should be able to look and see whats going on

yes, when my friend first got the phone i called for her and asked about it. they had no idea what i was talking about and said they will place a ticket however. never heard more from that...figured it would go away in a week or something.

of course it still doesnt work so she called last wednesday, she told them she has dozens and dozens of photos on her SSM msg and she wants to download them from friends. the lady at verizon said she never heard of this issue and asked if she would mind doing a test-run. so the tech sent her a picture of a chair, and it worked instantly - this never happens... weird too how the image just 'showed up' on the screen when usually you need to hit dowload. the tech said, well it looks like its working (but obviously she has some magical phone that works around whatever is going on) but also said she would leave a ticket about this and someone will get back to her.

hasn't worked since then.. no update on ticket...don't expect one either ;\

Upvote 0
If you get a new phone, you won't loose pictures you've taken or received, they are stored on SD card. For the messages that won't download, try to forward them to your email, then send them back to yourself once you get a new phone? Not sure if that will work, but I know that getting a new phone solved the problem completely for me. Using wi-fi/mobile network didn't really solve the problem for good, but getting a new phone did. Sorry!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones