1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MMS problem/APN Settings not under "mobile networks"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ancient_one, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ancient_one

ancient_one Lurker

Hey everyone,
    I recently got an HTC Hero (with the trackball) and rooted it and installed CM6 (froyo). It works great with no problems except that I can't send or receive picture messages, which from all my reading, seems to be a common issue. I know that I should check my APN settings, but I cannot find them in my phone. I went to Settings->wireless & networks->mobile networks... There's no Access Point Names option in there. I thought maybe it was a problem with my mod so I checked my sister's phone, who has the exact same phone and same provider (carolina west). We bought it the same day. And it's not in hers either. Her's is not rooted or modified in any way. I've searched the web and cannot find anyone with the same problem.

Oh and in the small print under "Mobile Networks", it says "Set options for roaming, networks, and APN's", but when you enter the menu it only has "data enabled, data roaming, and system select"

If anyone knows how to help me get my MMS working I would be so happy. I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. The internet works fine though...

Thanks in advance.
    -Matt

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Songsinger

Songsinger Lurker

ancient_one,

I have exactly the same problem. I also really like the cm6 ROM--except for this problem. I have had my hero since June 2010. When the hero was first released, it had Android 1.5. Picture messaging did not work on it until in August 2010 they released RUU_Hero_C_ACG_2.36.556.1_signed_release. Picture messaging worked after that.

That is probably the ROM that came on your hero. Well, after rooting and installing CM6 everything got better. No more dial lag, easier and more accurate input, but not picture messaging. I remember after the switch to the 2.36.556.1 ROM there were some manual changes that had to be made with a customer support person. It seems I had to dial a 5 or 6 digit number (seems like the number was mostly 7's and 8's) and change some values before picture messaging would work. I wonder if those setting were lost when I flashed CM6 and if another call to CWW support to check those values would help.

I have not done that yet because I dread the "you should not have done that, we can't support your phone anymore" speech.

If others have insight on this problem, I also am all ears!

Thanks!
    Songsinger

3. ram1220

ram1220 Lurker

I have the same problem on my rooted Hero. But I'm not running the same ROM that you are. I found through trial and error that if I disable Wifi then I can receive and send MMS. Then after I get the MMS I turn Wifi back on. Not sure why it works but it does. Good luck.

4. levatator

levatator Lurker

same problem with mine till i installed NFX Hero Rom

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews