• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help /mnt/sdcard vs. /mnt/sdcard-ext

theguru1974

May 7, 2010
I've been trying to get TitaniumBackup working and found something which I think is a bit unexpected. Seems like there are 3 main areas to save files on the Droid X2 - the internal memory is split up into an application area and a "/mnt/sdcard" mount point, and the true external sdcard storage shows up as "/mnt/sdcard-ext". Do other phones do this and why? Seems rather confusing to me...will apps that allow saving to internal or sdcard recognize this "sdcard-ext" business? The filesystem for my previous phone (Incredible) was not setup this way.

Eric

Since Android did not want microsd as a standard in the first place, there is no true mapping standard within framework. This is why you see different ways with different devices.

All apps will load data to the /mnt/sdcard path, so the internal space is the main place for the X2. Everything, including Titanium will go there that is related to apps that normally place data in the microsd on other devices. This mapping is actually a good thing, since the flash storage on devices is usually faster and more stable than microsd cards.

BTW: Since the internal IS the microsd for apps, no point in buying a super-fast microsd card, since nothing but media will go there anyway.

This is how most tablets are mapped, as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones