1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Mobile data and background data question.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beeker, Aug 28, 2011.

1. beeker

beeker Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hello all! I was just given an Incredible from a friend, and activated just last week. Naturally, I am totally digging it (I've never had a smart phone, or any phone near this high quality).

Unfortunately though, because I missed out on Verizon's July 7th unlimited data cutoff, I'm stuck with their tiered data plan.:rolleyes:

This has led me to want to be as on-the-ball when it comes to my data usage as possible. My phone is rooted and running Cyanogen mod 7 btw. I thought I had all the data stuff figured out already, however, I am left with one question, after recently discovering that turning off syncing doesn't turn off all background data.

This sucks, because I thought my handy little power widget I use to turn off sync would eliminate background data, but that is not the case. However, I can just turn off mobile data when I don't want to to be used.

So my question is this--When my mobile data is turned off, does that also eliminate all background data usage, effectively stopping my data usage until I turn data back on? (This is, of course, talking about usage in the absence of a wifi network).

I'd just like to find out for certain that turning off my mobile data completely eliminates background data usage (except for when wifi is available), and therefore does not use my mobile data at all?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Advertisement

2. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    It's hard to say. Verizon has some funny math in terms of counting data used. I had my phone physically turned off and battery removed during the last two weeks of a billing period due to deployment, but they were hitting me with 90-150k of data DAILY. That's not much, less than 1MB/week, but it's still made up data.

Just download the My Verizon app (you can still run it on CM7). It has a handy data widget. Unless you're streaming video or tons of audio, staying under 2GB won't be a problem.

beeker likes this.
  3. beeker

beeker Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info...That's ridiculous that it said you use data when your phone is off. When I try to download the My Verizon app, it says "the item is not available on your carrier"...I have Verizon. I don't know what's up with that.

4. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    Download Market Enabler from Android Market, then set Market to Verizon.