• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile data disconnecting during tethering

Hello there. I have a moto g6 play and use airtel 4g network. The network works fine when i use it in phone, but when i dotethering i see a "x" on my mobile network tower which shows that the mobile data is disconnected. It reconnects after a few minutes then disconnects again. This is very annoying amd i need help with it ASAP.
Ive tried contacting airtel customer care, and theve changed my apn settinga thrice. Changed my sim thrice. In adittion ive changed my apn type to "default,supl,dun,mms"
Any help would be appreciated!

Yes i did. No i dont see the name. Please help me i know its a problem with my phone or apn settings

First, use a Wi-Fi hotspot without password. Then make sure you have installed your phone's drivers on your computer. If everything is ok you should see your hotspot name in the network area.

Please make sure that you are using a data-cable, not charging only cable. You can try to copy some files back and forth between your phone and computer to see if the USB connection is working.

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
I can't think of a single setting on the phone that would disable data for tethering only. If data works while you are not tethered,t hen your APN setting is correct. The only time i've seen this kind of behavior is when the carrier requires a specific tethering data plan in addition to normal mobile data.

Upvote 0
Ah, okay. Than that does sound like an APN issue. Unfortunately the best place to get the correct settings is directly from airtel.

I'm sure you've tried this:

https://apn-settings.com/india/airtel-apn-settings/

but it's worth another look. The only other thing it might be is a problem with the cell towers where you are. Does this issue happen everywhere or only in certain locations?

Upvote 0
If you haven't had any problems using your phone's WiFi or mobile data before, it's probably not a hardware problem but more of a software problem. At least your phone's mobile data connectivity in general is working OK so this tethering problem is the only thing to attend to.

You mentioned that you don't have any kind of firewall app installed so that can be ruled out but do you have any kind of anti-virus/anti-malware app installed? Those types of utilities are pretty invasive as far as basic networking functionality too.

Also, is there a 'Data Saver' option buried in your Settings menu and is it enabled? If so try disabling it and see if that makes any difference.
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/data-saver

A last resort thing to try is use the 'Network settings reset' option (also buried somewhere in your Settings menu). This will wipe all network-related settings back their defaults so it's not a something to just do on a whim. Saved WiFi networks, those alterations to your APN settings, and saved Bluetooth pairings will be deleted. Now try enabling the hotspot function again and try setting up a new WiFi network and see if this makes any difference.

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
Svim ive been having problems with my mobile data and wifi since i got my new airtel sim.. However i have no problem in jio. Got no antivirus or firewall app installed. Data saver is disabled. Tried resetting network settings. Didnt work. Xavier black i have problems with only this sim... And i even changed it 3 times... So somewhere it means that my phone isnt compatable with this sim.. And i also noticed that during normal browsing or watching videos, the sim works quite near to ok.. Loses connection very few times for very short periods. But when i start downloading torrents in my android or downloads using tethering, then it gives major problem. Gosh im so frustrated. Need help fast, please somebody solve this isuue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones