1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

mobile data icon gone after 4.3 update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaliy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

is anyone having this problem after the update? the data still works but i have no way of knowing if it's on or not

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Asphaltcowboy

Asphaltcowboy Newbie

Are you talking about the notification that shows up when you turn on mobile hotspot? If so, mine still shows up.

3. speedlever

speedlever Android Enthusiast

There was a mobile data button on the notification panel of 4.2.2. It's gone on 4.3.

More cumbersome, but settings/more networks/mobile networks/ has a check box beside mobile data so you can verify it's on.

4. racedvl

racedvl Lurker

It's there a way to restore the Mobil data button after the update? I used to turn off all data at night so emails would not wake me up while on the night stand.

5. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast

Who is your carrier? Seems that some carriers had different buttons available. If I recall correctly, VZW didn't have a Wi-Fi button at first, which really annoyed me, but we finally got one with 4.3.

You know you have more buttons than just the five you get when you pull down the notification bar, right? (When you pull down the bar, just hit that button in the upper right with 3 squares and a double arrow on it. That opens up ALL your buttons. If you hit the little pencil, it lets you edit which buttons appear across the top.)

With VZW, the addition of the Wi-Fi toggle pushed another button off the top row. Is it possible you guys still have Mobile Data, but it's been kicked down a row? (I certainly still have it.)

If it's well and truly gone, you can go the Play Store and search for a mobile data toggle widget. (It's what I did with Wi-Fi before we got the button on VZW). There's several free ones there -- just park one on your home screen and you can toggle data on and off to your heart's content.

6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

You could always use Light Flow. I used it to make quiet times so that sms/mms, emails, and notification LED's did not keep me awake between certain hours. It also allowed me to quiet all calls except from a few choice individuals (those who I knew if they called in the middle of the night, someone was either dead or injured).

I recommend Light Flow for a quiet nights sleep, without having to remember to push a silly button every night.

7. racedvl

racedvl Lurker

I have AT&T. Light flow could be a option. I tried a notification widget and the mobile button said it was not supported. The only reason I don't use airplane mode is because I'm on the call list with the alarm company at work. In case the building alarm goes off.

8. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

There is a stock setting to turn off notifications during certain times. settings> my device> blocking mode. Its pretty basic but seems simple to set up. If you need something with more options and customization, try Timeriffic. I use this and it works really well for me with my crazy daily schedule.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alfray.timeriffic&hl=en

9. C3Pdr0id

C3Pdr0id Member

But is there a widget switch which has a visual notification for data to know if it's on or off without having to drill down to that???

ie a home shortcut which is like a light switch or green-On red-Off

10. speedlever

Isn't the notification area sufficient with either the mobile data icon or the wifi icon showing? My GS4 shows 4g/LTE for mobile data or the wifi icon, depending on whether I'm in a wifi area or not and connected to wifi.

11. C3Pdr0id

C3Pdr0id Member

Actually, no. I'm not always in 4G area where I am so often times I won't see the notification as you state but if I drill down into the settings Data is on/selected. So I can't trust that way of knowing if data is on or not..
    .. I need to turn it off when I'm not using it for my data limit, battery etc

12. speedlever

C3Pdr0id likes this.
  13. C3Pdr0id

C3Pdr0id Member

Thank you Speedlever. Exactly what I need! Now I can uninstall the other 3 apps I was experimenting with which had a third of the capabilities of this app!

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews