1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Mobile data not working since 7/24

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lightsleeper23, Jul 25, 2013.

1. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    I'm on tmobile unlimited. I always get between 6 to 15 Mbps here at home all the time. Yesterday my mobile data went kaput for no reason, and since then it either doesn't work at all, or is very slow. It's acting strange. It's not just poor signal. I have bars, it doesn't go to edge but stays on H, but if I try to do something, it will not load, then my bars turn grey, and the H disappears. Still no E, just no data of any kind. I talked with tmobile for 2 hours, they have no idea and submitted it to their engineers to see if the network has a problem. I tried everything, including 2 factory resets. AND, my GFs nexus 4 is doing the EXACT SAME THING. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    Do you have a non-nexus phone to test? It sounds like it

3. lightsleeper23

None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    No non nexus phones. And it does sound like a T-Mobile problem, but they claim there's no service issues in the area and haven't received any other complaints.

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm guessing the only common denominator between the 2 phones is the network? Given it's both phones, that's the probably culprit (despite what TMobile might say).

What happens when you move to a different area of your town/city? Still the same?

Is it possible you've both been throttled?

5. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2011
    T-Mobile didn't say anything about usage, it almost sounds like they slowed you down cause you went over your monthly limit.

6. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    Rational Tools Consultant
    DC Metro Area - USA
    I used to have a similar problem on AT&T. There was an area that I drove through that would knock out the signal (near the airport I think). It would be stuck until I toggled 2G Only, then back to 3G. I even set up a widget to do it.

You can manually do this from Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Use Only 2G networks.

See if your phone is able to connect to 2G and then switch it back.

UPDATE:
    While you're in that section, be sure that Data Enabled is checked.

7. lightsleeper23

None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    Well it's definitely not throttling. It's happening on 2 phones, neither of us have reached our limit, and I don't even have a limit. If it was throttling by mistake, it would just be slow. Its not a bad signal area. Its at my home, which always had a phenomenal signal and speed. I've tried a litany of troubleshooting, including 2 factory resets. We even both went into a T-Mobile store and got new Sim cards. I haven't been able to test it at length in other areas, but I did drive downtown yesterday and it didn't work the whole trip. Sometimes it comes on and works great for about 5 minutes or so, then goes out again while I'm using it. I am at my wits end. If T-Mobile no longer works, that rules out 99% of MVNOs as well, since almost all of them use T-Mobiles network. They haven't gotten back to me yet with word from their engineers, but what are the chances they'll admit it is their network?

8. lightsleeper23

None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    So I put a ATT Sim in and it's been working fine for an hour or so. I don't think it's my phone.

9. lightsleeper23

None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    Well that's it for me. It was fun while it lasted. Maybe someday when technology works and isn't run by bafoons who don't know how to maintain it I can come back to the wonderful world of android.

T-Mobile has determined there is no problem with their network in my area, even though my phone works fine with AT&T, and every other phone I've put my sim card into doesn't work in this area either. Since they've declared their network is fine they're obviously not going to fix it. I can't use AT&T because they're dreadfully slow, and sprint and verizon are out for speed and price, respectively. So it looks like my android days are over. I'm crushed. Selling my Nexus 4 and going back to home phone service.

10. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Are AT&T/T-Mobile your only options?

11. lightsleeper23

None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    Yeah. And really just T-Mobile at that. AT&T Go phone is a decent price, but their hspa is so slow, I'd have to get a new LTE phone, and you only get 2gb of data which isn't nearly enough for me.

Tags: