1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Mobile data seems to be connected but doesn't work

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stelios85GR, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Stelios85GR

Stelios85GR Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013
    Hello, I am encounting a mysterious problem:

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
    Sometimes, the mobile data connection seems to be connected (the arrows are coloured) but the connection doesn't work.
    I can't find a rule about a specific factor that causes this malfunction. ​

SOLUTION ATTEMPTS
    I tried to solve the problem by:

• disabling and re-enabling data connection
    • enabling and re-disabling flight mode
    • using some applications from google play which promises to fix data connection issues
    • cache cleaning
    • ram cleaning

However, I discovered another solution that permanently solves the problem for specific apps:

1. When the problem occurs, I open an application that needs internet connection.
    2. I test data internet connection through this application to be ensured that it doesn't work.
    3. I disable data connection, enable wifi and test if the application now has internet connection through wifi.
    4. I disable wifi connection, re-enable data connection and test again if the application now has internet connection through data connection.
    5. Data connection now works normally only for the specific application but not for other applications. Doing the same steps for another application the problem can be also solved for the other specific application.

After these attempts I wonder:

1. Which factor causes the problem?
    2. What exactly a reboot achieves that solves the malfunction?
    3. How can I solve the problem by acting similarly to a reboot but without rebooting the device?

Any ideas??

Device: Motorola Atrix 4G
    Custom Rom: Android 2.3.7 Cyanogenmod MROM -1-0.20130113-olympus
    AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish⇄AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
    English (auto-detected) ​

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved your question to the sub-form dedicated to discussing issues with your root-ed phone.

Are you sure this isn't some issue on the tower side of the connection? Do other devices connect without a problem? Have you verified this with other users in your immediate area?

... Thom

3. Stelios85GR

Stelios85GR Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013
    Thank you for your prompt response.
    It's is not a tower issue. I encounter the problem in different areas so it's not depend on the connected cell tower. The problem is also observed using different sim card of different carriers so I am sure that it is not a tower issue.

Any other ideas????

Ιδέες
    ουσιαστικό ιδέα
    AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish⇄AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish

4. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 17, 2012
    Male
    College Student
    Uhmerica
    Is there a reason you don't want a reboot? That would be the 1st thing I would try. Also, you said you were on a custom rom. You could backup your apps and data with titanium backup and reflash the rom.

5. Stelios85GR

Stelios85GR Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013
    The reason is a reboot needs time and it's inconvenient to reboot the device when you need internet access. I would prefer to discover what a reboot achieves and do the same manually.

I had reflashed the rom but the problem remains...

Any ideas?

6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Has the problem just appeared recently or has it always been the case? Have you installed any "battery saving" apps? Have you tried a different ROM? Need to determine if it is a software problem or a possible hardware problem.

7. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    You say the data is a problem . power off the device and if a sims card is in the slot pull out blow on the card and also blow into the slot . take a eraser from a pencil and clean the contact of the sims card blow the dirt off again . reassemble the phone . and if u changed custom ROMs and went back make sure the build.prop is edited correctly.

8. Stelios85GR

Stelios85GR Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013

• The only battery related apps I have installed is Better battery Stats and Gsame Battery Monitor. They just monitoring the battery consumption not saving battery.
    • I have tried in the past other ROM and I hadn't had any similar problem.

I 'll try to clean the sim card slot.
    What is the build.prop? I have no idea about how to check it. Can you explain me please?

9. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Did the problem coinicide with the installation of your current ROM? Your problem could just be a bug with your rom or be caused by a bad installation. Make a backup in your recovery and do a factory reset and reflash the ROM, and only install necessary apps; see if the problem continues. If the problem continues, try another ROM. If it appears fixed, start installing the rest of your apps.

Judging by the way you describe that you are "fixing" the issue, it sounds like you are having more of a software bug than a hardware problem.

10. Stelios85GR

Stelios85GR Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013
    I asked in many forums. Everyone told me to change ROM or reset my device. However these are not solutions.

I finally found that it was a dns issue which I solved it using a dns editor app.

11. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    You could have also on the build dot prop as I said . its located in the system folder either the last file or the first file . its single without a folder . just a plain file