• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile data while on wifi?

D

Deleted User

I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus. I notice a lot of times when I am connected to wifi, I see the up / down arrows over the signal bars, which I believe indicates mobile data is being transferred. If that is what those arrows mean, why is my phone using mobile data when it should be using wifi?

I will have to check tomorrow before I leave my house. Today I used both 3G and wifi. Attached is a picture of what I am seeing. Both wifi and 3G appear to be transferring data.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355806837708.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355806837708.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0
Use a task automation program to turn on and off mobile data when you connect/disconnect from wifi if you are worried.

I used Tasker to do this - turn off data when in range of saved wifi, turn data on again when out of range of familiar wifi'. I had it working perfectly - even gave it a 15sec delay before doing anything in case i stepped just outside of range for a second (common with our shitty radios on the gnex).

MAJOR drawback for me was that you can't receive MMS messages when data is off. If I could find a way to alter the Tasker profile to turn data on when receiving MMS (then turning off again), it would be great.

All that said, it doesn't save much battery to have data off while on wifi.

Upvote 0
I used Tasker to do this - turn off data when in range of saved wifi, turn data on again when out of range of familiar wifi'. I had it working perfectly - even gave it a 15sec delay before doing anything in case i stepped just outside of range for a second (common with our shitty radios on the gnex).

MAJOR drawback for me was that you can't receive MMS messages when data is off. If I could find a way to alter the Tasker profile to turn data on when receiving MMS (then turning off again), it would be great.

All that said, it doesn't save much battery to have data off while on wifi.

I can't remember, but does your phone show it received a MMS message when data is off? Unless the phone receives MMS notification through the standard SMS system, your phone would never be aware it even received an MMS. That's why I'm wondering.

Although about the data indicator. I think its just a weird bug. Sometimes my bars get stuck at whatever position they were when I turn data off, and they never go away until I re-enable data for a couple seconds.

Upvote 0

I actually do this exact thing through tasker. My context is an event which is received text set to mms. I have a task to turn off wifi, wait 2 minutes, then turn it back on. My data is set to turn on when wifi is off so this gives me a little time to download the pic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones