1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Mobile Data+wifi question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brownitus, Jan 21, 2014.

1. brownitus

brownitus Member
    None

Jun 28, 2012
    I've never had a mobile data plan before and just got it today, so just wanting to clarify this: If I have both Mobile Data and Wifi on, which gets "priority" if that makes any sense, or does one get used for X and the other for Y, or?

I see on the status bar that when both are on, I don't see the "3G" little text on my cell bars that indicates it's using the mobile data, so I'm guessing the phone defaults to wifi and only uses mobile for my voicemail+ and mms?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    WiFi will always take priority over mobile data. If, however, your WiFi signal is marginal, you can see a lot of switching back and forth, which will drain your battery. In areas of weak signal, it's best to turn off WiFi if you are going to be there for any length of time.

For mms you need both a data and phone connection.

brownitus likes this.
  3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Thread moved to forum dedicated to your phone.

With both on in my office the mobile connection is grayed out showing that I am using WiFi. If I turn WiFi off the mobile connection is no longer gray.

... Thom

4. brownitus

brownitus Member
    None

Jun 28, 2012
    Thank you! That clears it up, and the signal strength tidbit is very good to know when I'm in a coffee shop or somewhere trying to leech the crappy free wifi :D Cheers.

5. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    I always keep my Wifi on wherever I am. So when I get through my front door Wifi connects within seconds and stays connected until I leave again - no usage of my mobile data allowance. Same of course applies to anywhere I have been and used the Wifi network as the phone will remember and auto-connect, subject to the password still being the same.

6. javamann

javamann Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    USA:Poconos & Florida
    sounds good, and that's the way I've gone for a long time. But I'm getting kind of paranoid and now use WIFI onlly on trusted sites...like home. Lots of bad guys out there who would like to access phones for nefarious reasons. Better to play it safe ;)

JM