• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Defense!

I know w/ all this open source mess that there's a certain degree of vulnerability involved, but are these defense apps really necessary?
Do you even know what it is? You can connect to your phone via computer and it will tell you where your phone is; you can send an alarm with a message attached as well as initiate your pattern lock remotely. This would be a must have if your phone is jacked, so yes, it is necessary.

Upvote 0
Do you even know what it is? You can connect to your phone via computer and it will tell you where your phone is; you can send an alarm with a message attached as well as initiate your pattern lock remotely. This would be a must have if your phone is jacked, so yes, it is necessary.

I was thinking it was an anti-virus app, so I guess I don't! I suppose that would be cool.

Upvote 0
Weird, it let me shut down the phone with the power button. It is freaking loud though!

Well, like I said, I was freaking out. The thing went off in a quiet office environment. I didn't know exactly what it would do.

I may not have pressed down long enough on the power button to turn it off. I probably just stabbed at it a few times, lol.

Upvote 0
I don't normally keep my pattern lock on, so I set a pattern that I could remembered and then deactivated it. Upon activating the pattern lock via mobile defense, it uses whatever you saved. Pretty neat. Granted, it doesn't take a genius to get around this app, but it does buy you some time to try and find it or lock it out. Highly recommended. I do believe that remote swipe is coming to it as well...not exactly sure.

Upvote 0
I can tell you that while it does try to make some effort to hide itself, it simply can't hide itself from other apps. So, if you were to, say, keep Astro on your desktop, it wouldn't be too many clicks before you come across a screen that shows Mobile Defense. Moreover, the site doesn't, uh.. have security questions? So, I made the mistake of registering with the gmail account that will get pushed to the phone. DO NOT DO THIS. Register with a separate email account that does not have forwarding to an account your phone has. Make a new one up if you have to. Write it down in triplicate, and keep them around in more than one of your 'safe places' around the house. DO NOT REGISTER WITH YOUR PHONE'S GMAIL. It won't cause a bug, or anything at all, but there are clear self-defeating issues with doing so, but I don't want to explicitly explain them for obvious reasons.

Upvote 0
I'm not very excited about how it sends you a txt every time you connect to the phone from the web. Otherwise it looks fairly useful
Easy to install and understand... and I so badly want to press the alert button but I'm at work LOL

I think they all send a text. What I did was change the name that the text came under to a fake contact name so if my phone disappears and I have to use this, it shows a name and not mobile defense our what ever it used to show.

Upvote 0
I think they all send a text. What I did was change the name that the text came under to a fake contact name so if my phone disappears and I have to use this, it shows a name and not mobile defense our what ever it used to show.

How did you do this? I sent a text to the phone but it disappeared after I opened it. I couldn't find it again to save my life.

Upvote 0
When you receive the message and open it, tap where the picture would be. It will ask you if you want to add contact. Tap OK and follow the prompts. I remember there being a setting to automatically delete the text that comes in but I do not remember where the setting is. It may be on the initial install.

Upvote 0
Well... I've actually had to use it as it was intended. But this was before the latest update so some of the bugs hadn't been worked out.

Got my phone on a Sunday.... browsed through the marketplace a bit and as an afterthought i downloaded Mobile Defense.

The following Saturday I took my dog out the dog park and I guess during the course of the day my phone fell off my belt clip. (had the body glove case/belt clip thing. But no longer) Didn't realize this until I got home and by that time it was dark. I logged onto Mobile Defense and I could see on google maps that the phone was still indeed laying out in the middle of the park... scared and alone.

According to Mobile Defense I had about 50% battery life left.

I decided to wait until morning when the sun was out and go get it. Woke up the next morning and as I was getting dressed I logged back on just to check... I saw that my battery had dropped down to below 10% and had disconnected from the network to conserve power. ...and a few minutes later the phone started moving. I was like "What the hell!?!?" So I just sat there and watched the little blip on google maps as whomever found my phone walked out of the park... across the parking lot and to their car... then I followed them on the map as they turned down a couple of streets and hopped on the highway...

When they made it to their final destination I switched to "sctreet view" and saw that they were at "Man's Best Friend" which is a dog kennel/training facility not to far away. I hurried up and jumped into my car and raced over there. When I got there I asked the girl at the front desk if anyone had been over to the dog park that morning... She wasn't sure but a class was about to start I guess. At that moment this guy who I remembered seeing at the park before walked out and I asked him if he had been up there that morning. he said yes so I asked him if he had found a phone.

The look on this dude's face was priceless.... He said "Yeah... I found it in a puddle and it wouldn't turn on so i was gonna wait for it to dry out and try calling a few numbers in the phone to try and locate the owner. That was a lie... the phone was bone dry and since I was able to turn on the pattern lock he just couldn't get into it.

When he gave me the phone he was like "I gotta ask you man... How the hell did you find me."

"Modern technology my friend... modern technology."

Sorry for the lengthy story... but I wanted to share the whole thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones