1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mobile High-definition Link (HDMI Out Confirmed!!!!)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dyezak, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

On XDA Forums they mentioned that the Tunderbolt can do Micro USB to HDMI. They reference a PDF file (possibly user guide??) that mentioned this. If this is true does the Thunderbolt have Mobile High-Definition Link enabled Micro USB? If it does this is VERY interesting....

MHL Consortium

-------------------------------------
    Edited to include the below:
    -------------------------------------

FOUND IT!! <--- HDMI Confirmed! Appears the USB port on here really is a MHL port after all. I am assuming the HDMI adapter referenced in the Verizon Developer PDF above is the Multimedia Dock we have heard about!!!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Just searched the user guide and there's no reference of this...

3. theacoustician

theacoustician Android Enthusiast

What PDF are they referencing? If they mean the manual, there is no mention of HDMI at all.

4. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Can't find what they are talking about in any PDF... Bought the phone though. I'll play with it for 13 days and make my decision to keep or return it.

5. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

FOUND IT!! <--- HDMI Confirmed! Appears the USB port on here really is a MHL port after all. I am assuming the HDMI adapter referenced in the Verizon Developer PDF above is the Multimedia Dock we have heard about!!!!!

willdogs and retiredberry like this.
  6. willdogs

willdogs Android Enthusiast

So all we would need to buy is a microUSB to HDMI cable and we are good to go?

7. theacoustician

theacoustician Android Enthusiast

Hold on there. You didn't confirm a thing in regards to MHL. There is no mention of it on the spec sheet and I can't find anywhere in any spec anywhere else that says it's supported. The only thing it says is there's an HDMI adapter. Before you jump the gun, prove to me this isn't the HDMI adapter they're talking about :HTC Media Link DLNA Adapter DG H100

8. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

The Acoustician - I love a critical thinker. The reason it wouldn't be that HDMI adapter is because it isn't an "HTC Thunderbolt" HDMI adapter. The one you linked isn't associated with the Thunderbolt in any way. It's just a generic DLNA/HDMI device.

This is the connector (USB(MHL) to HDMI) that I believe HTC is going to be marketing:

[​IMG]

The reason is because the device above is advertised as a multimedia dock for the HTC Thunderbolt. Also when you combine it with the Verizon Developer PDF that mentions HDMI adapter this makes sense.

But to add on to that I can deduce that it is really a MHL device because there is no way to get HDMI out of USB *without* MHL. This is a new standard that will be taking off this year. Samsung already committed to all their 2011 TV's having MHL enabled HDMI ports along with the Galaxy S2 having MHL enabled USB.

-----------------------------------------------------
    EDITED to include:
    -----------------------------------------------------

Also - I found a setting in the HTC Thunderbolt to enable a multimedia interface, but it was locked to "auto" meaning I couldn't turn it on until (presumably) I docked it in the above dock or used a MHL enabled cable.

WA_Bob likes this.
  9. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

That's a full blown MHL cable for use with a MHL enabled HDMI port on a compatible TV. Nobody has a TV with an MHL enabled HDMI port yet so that cable would (at best) display video/audio but would drain your battery in a matter of minutes (30-45 would be my guess).

There's another cable out there that looks like the one linked above, but has another spot for power to go in so you can use it with non MHL HDMI ports.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

confused.... hdmi out a possibility?

11. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Please read all the links in the original post.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

13. SirKronan

SirKronan Android Expert

14. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

15. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast

Somebody try it out and report back, damn it.

16. SirKronan

SirKronan Android Expert

17. nefariousity

nefariousity Lurker

Any news on the Multimedia Dock having this HDMI out?

18. SirKronan

SirKronan Android Expert

Have they even released a dock for the Thunderbolt to stores yet?

19. Romikemi

Romikemi Well-Known Member

It's not even in warehouse inventory. It's vapor.

20. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

I've been told that HDMI out was an error by HTC. It seems not possible (really stupid decision.)

The dock... MIA and priced at over $50 from what I saw. Great thing for them to put the power slot on the side that is opposing the kickstand hinge because that dock is going to make such a difference..

21. SirKronan

SirKronan Android Expert

Thunderbolt Multimedia Dock, Extended Battery & Wireless Charging Battery Door Leaked

As a Fascinate owner, I bet I know what happened!!! They were sending the docks to stock the shelves and then read on the box that the dock w/HDMI outputs ONLY WORKS IN 2.3!!!

Boy, you Thunderbolt owners are sure lucky they discovered this message BEFORE they sold you the dock. :D

WA_Bob likes this.
  22. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

If the price is accurate at $60, HTC can keep the dock.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews