• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Hot Spot - Can Eris Do This?

bassplyr

Nov 19, 2009
I was with my partner in a meeting all day today and there was no wifi service. He has a new Palm Pre and he and I both were able to connect to the internet via the mobile hot spot on his Palm. Pretty good speed too. Came in handy, would be nice if Eris could do this too. Is there an app for that? Thanks, Roger

I was with my partner in a meeting all day today and there was no wifi service. He has a new Palm Pre and he and I both were able to connect to the internet via the mobile hot spot on his Palm. Pretty good speed too. Came in handy, would be nice if Eris could do this too. Is there an app for that? Thanks, Roger

Just install PDAnet for yourself. No one else can run off it but you will have internet whereever you go..Well as long as your phone has service..

Upvote 0
Just install PDAnet for yourself. No one else can run off it but you will have internet whereever you go..Well as long as your phone has service..

I know you can use a 3G Wireless Router to share your signal from your 3G modem with others as well... Does anyone know if there is a way to hook your phone into this (by data cable) and have the same effect? It seems completely feasible to me but I am not sure as I have not tried it yet.

Thanks,

-lance

Upvote 0
Thanks, but not interested in rooting but you'vs got to admit, the mobile hotspot is a pretty cool feature. Not cool enough to make me change from my Eris.

Roger

I found this interesting. Maybe I just missed the point, but a rooted Eris is still an Eris. Also consider that there are viable working options to go back from root to complete stock.

Upvote 0
My Verizon Droid Eris is now rooted and running KaosFroyo V35-1.

Whenever someone asks about Mobile Hotspots, the bandwagon reply is sure it can be done. A generic link the the Android Wifi Tether webpage is supplied.

I see many different phone types listed but I do not see the DROID Eris phone listed.

Several questions:

1) What specific download package works with the HTC Droid Eris?

2) Does this package work work with Froyo 2.2?

3) Do you personally have a HTC Droid Eris, running what specific flashed OS version and what specific wifi-tether package?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I personally have an HTC Droid Eris, rooted, running Aloysius Snow (a 2.1 ROM). It has wireless tether built in to the ROM (the app is called Wireless Tether for Root Users; I didn't have to download it, it was just there. :)). I used it just the other evening with my laptop when I was at a meeting with no wireless available. Worked like a charm (although it does suck the battery).

Upvote 0
I run xtrROM 4.2 and have wireless tether automatically built in. I use it to give my kids internet access on long car rides. It does heat up the phone, though. Access to this is one of the main reasons I rooted, but I have been extremely pleased with the results (faster phone, last bloatware, no more dialer lag, etc.)

Upvote 0
My Verizon Droid Eris is now rooted and running KaosFroyo V35-1.

Whenever someone asks about Mobile Hotspots, the bandwagon reply is sure it can be done. A generic link the the Android Wifi Tether webpage is supplied.

I see many different phone types listed but I do not see the DROID Eris phone listed.

Several questions:

1) What specific download package works with the HTC Droid Eris?

2) Does this package work work with Froyo 2.2?

3) Do you personally have a HTC Droid Eris, running what specific flashed OS version and what specific wifi-tether package?

Thanks.

Wireless tethering is in the marketplace. Just search for wireless tethering. It's called wireless tethering for root. Once installed it just works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones